Status
Not open for further replies.

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Dear forummembers,

I would appreciate some advice.
For the last 3 weeks I have been travelling and shot a lot of photos. I imported the RAW's from my camera into LR 5.7 on a laptop, edited them and saved them as jpg's
Now, back home, I want to load the RAW's and jpg's on my homecomputer into LR6. I may have to tweak the color of the photos since my homescreen is calibrated - the laptop not.

How do I make sure that the edited information of the RAW's will be included when I load them into LR6? I don't want to start editing all the photos all over again?

Is the simple copy and then use the importfunction of LR6 enough?

Thanks for the help!

DFM

Adobe Community Professional
May 7, 2013
Copy the images and the Catalog (.LRCAT file) onto an external drive or directly to your home computer, then use File > Import From Another Catalog in LR6 and point it at the LRCAT file. Note you don't need to copy the previews folder, that'll be regenerated automatically by LR6.

See https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/import-photos-various-sources.html#import_photos_from_a_different_lightroom_catalog for what the options do.

Upvote 0
Nope, it won't be a simple copy and paste of the raw files. Lightroom doesn't save edits to the raw file itself, but rather saves the edits in the catalogue and associates the edits with their respective images.

So basically, you'll need to pull both your catalogues and your files onto your computer with lr6. What I'd do is I'd copy the whole file system containing the pictures and the lr5 catalogue onto an external drive and then hook it up to your lr6 computer and fire up the lr5 catalogue with lr6.

If you have an existing catalogue on your lr6 computer into which you want to pull your travel catalogue there are some helpful instructions here: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/import-photos-various-sources.html#import_photos_from_a_different_lightroom_catalog

Upvote 0
Here's what I would:

Open the Lightroom catalog with all the edits you did. Then select the images you want to transfer, go to the menu "Metadata" and select "Save metadata to file" (approx. - running non english LR here). This should create so called "sidecar" files (extension .xmp") sitting right next to your original images in the filesystem.

Then I'd copy my CR2 files together with the XMPs to my other PC and import them there. This should consider all the raw edits you did.

Probably a test with just a single image for a first try ;) Hope this helps...

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
DFM, IglooEater and PhilippP74 : Thank you for your respons and tips. Really appreciate it! The links to the adobe site was helpful too although I went for : https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/create-catalogs.html#main-pars_heading_2

I have succesfully transfered the photos and imported them in LR6 (and added the photos to my existing LR6 Catalog) exactly as I wanted. It's actually really simple.

Now I can continue to work on them

Thanks again

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.