Travel advice - road trip from NY to NY

Jan 27, 2013
Hi there!

So, here are my new vacation plans... probably on the last week of August or first of September, I will go to NY with my girlfriend, who has to be there for a business trip (Somers), but we will travel a week earlier and I am thinking about a small road trip.

We have to fly to NY and looking at the map, I´m considering Philadelphia (straight from JFK, for one day, two nights), Atlantic city (3nights during the week when everything seems cheaper there than on the weekend), Ocean city (one night), Virginia beach (through the amazing looking Chesapeake bay bridge/tunnel, one or two nights) and a longer haul back.

If I wouldn't have been there a couple times, I would go a different direction and see Cape Cod and of course do the classic attraction - Manhattan (which I´ll visit later anyway), but I want to see something new this time.

If you have any suggestion and/or advice, photography related (I´ll probably take 6D, 24-105 and nifty50 as I don't want to spend too much time with it and annoy my girlfriend and worry about the gear all the time... which I will anyway), or about something else (maybe a better, more interesting route) it would be welcome.

Until then, I´m off googling,
thank you for your inspiration,

Stig

PS: my girlfriend will probably get a job there for two years... so in case anybody has a job around Armonk, NY, I am rather interested : )

Jan 27, 2013
joe_r said:
I assume you're talking about Ocean City, MD? Skip it, and go to Assateague Island instead. Less crowds, and you have the wild ponies. OC is just and overbuilt beach destination.

wow, that looks nice, the kind of cool tip I was hoping for (maybe its known, but it wasn't to me), thank you... and welcome to CR!

btw, yes, I was talking about Ocean City MD, but a quick look on Assateague Island and it is on the list, it looks great, ... are the wild ponies everywhere or just on some part, and if I may one more question, how about Chincoteague Island next to it, seems that it also has some ponies (maybe less?), offers accommodation, but maybe that means its more crowded...

Thank you again!

Upvote 0
I have not really seen the northeast, but I have been to Philadelphia twice, which I like. Independence Hall is nice at blue hour and across the street you can shoot the Liberty Bell at night through the window. (In the day there are too many reflections, though of course you can go inside and do a closeup). Downtown, maybe a mile or less away, is this funky lighted sculpture with different languages. It is on the campus of a hospital medical school, but it is right off a main city sidewalk. I think I took this from the sidewalk (or just off it). The historic waterworks (behind the art museum) is very photogenic. You can also go down inside, which is a museum with interesting old pipes and rock walls.

Attachments

• Philadelphia Ind Hall.jpg
    Philadelphia Ind Hall.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 258
  • Philadelphia oldest photo.jpg
    Philadelphia oldest photo.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 315
  • Philadelphia 4918.JPG
    Philadelphia 4918.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 322
  • Philadelphia 5145.JPG
    Philadelphia 5145.JPG