Travel Insurance for gear- Suggestions for which is best?

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Hi all.

I'm getting ready to head off to South Africa for a photo safari years in the planning. I have gear covered under homeowners insurance, but I'm wondering if travel insurance is needed, and if so, suggestions please. Anyone with experience making claims?

Thank you all for input.

Scott

nc0b

5DsR
Dec 3, 2013
Colorado
There is likely a limit on your home owners coverage unless it is a separate scheduled property rider. We pay an extra premium for my wife's jewelry and my camera equipment. Likewise I have a separate insurance policy for my ham radio equipment. With items like these worth 10s of thousands of dollars, you really need to talk to your carrier. If you are a pro, a home owner's rider likely isn't valid due to the higher risk associated with someone in the business as opposed to equipment used in a hobby.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
nc0b said:
There is likely a limit on your home owners coverage unless it is a separate scheduled property rider. We pay an extra premium for my wife's jewelry and my camera equipment.

Me too.
One thing to check is that with interchangeable lens cameras that they view the lens and body as separate items. That way I have managed to stay below the maximum single-item limit to avoid further surcharges.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Thanks all.

I am far from a pro, but looking inside my bag, there will be many thousands of dollars worth of lenses, bodies, and accessories.

I have a separate rider for replacement costs, and that is all good. I just want to be sure I am not missing anything. The trip is coming up on the 24th, and I'm getting edgy, not wanting to miss anything.

Scott

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
scottkinfw said:
I have a separate rider for replacement costs, and that is all good. I just want to be sure I am not missing anything. The trip is coming up on the 24th, and I'm getting edgy, not wanting to miss anything.

Make sure you've updated your insurance company with any recent purchases. I know with my policy rider they're automatically covered for 30 days but after that you're SOL if you make a claim and the item isn't on their list.

Upvote 0

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
Interesting (timely) topic,
How does it work with insurance companies regarding the valuation of your individual items if you do not have a receipt (I have bought a couple of lenses 2nd hand) for each of the items? Would you consider that a problem if you had to claim? Sorry but I've never taken travel insurance out on my gear, but I'm off to Africa next month.
Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Stewart K said:
Interesting (timely) topic,
How does it work with insurance companies regarding the valuation of your individual items if you do not have a receipt (I have bought a couple of lenses 2nd hand) for each of the items? Would you consider that a problem if you had to claim? Sorry but I've never taken travel insurance out on my gear, but I'm off to Africa next month.
Thanks in advance.

In my experience, if you claim their assessors have a say on what they think is a reasonable price based on age and condition (or replacement value if the kit is no longer in production). If you don't have a receipt then it is in the lap of the gods if they believe you. This is why some people take photos of all their valuables (and/or keep a record of all serial numbers, and it's why I register all my gear with Canon.
I guess other evidence may be a photo or twenty taken using the gear with the exif data.

Upvote 0

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
Mikehit said:
In my experience, if you claim their assessors have a say on what they think is a reasonable price based on age and condition (or replacement value if the kit is no longer in production). If you don't have a receipt then it is in the lap of the gods if they believe you. This is why some people take photos of all their valuables (and/or keep a record of all serial numbers, and it's why I register all my gear with Canon.
I guess other evidence may be a photo or twenty taken using the gear with the exif data.

Thanks Mikehit, great advice and that's what I had imagined, lets hope that I don't need to claim!!!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Stewart K said:
How does it work with insurance companies regarding the valuation of your individual items if you do not have a receipt (I have bought a couple of lenses 2nd hand) for each of the items?

Check with your insurance company/agent – some policies require a receipt to provide coverage, therefore secondhand gear is not coverable (although on occasion when selling lenses, I have had the buyer asked me to generate a receipt).

Mikehit said:
This is why some people take photos of all their valuables (and/or keep a record of all serial numbers, and it's why I register all my gear with Canon.

I do have pictures and a list of serial numbers for my gear. I had registered all my Canon gear with them, which provided a convenient list of models and serial numbers for EOS, PowerShots, and video gear. But when they redesigned their website they lost all of that information. I contacted their support, their advice was to re-enter all of it (a PITA as I have a lot of gear), I saw no point as they've demonstrated they cannot be trusted to maintain the data. Following that, I haven't even bothered registering any new purchases with them. The proof of purchase is what you need for warranty service, online registration does not help for that. The main purpose of registering your gear is for Canon's demographic research – the convenient online list seemed a reasonable trade-off, but given the fact that they lost my data and their redesigned website is crap for navigation, it's not worth my time to share demographic info with them.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
I see two options - I have State Farm. I am NOT a pro so my rates are lower than if I used my gear to earn a living.

1. I schedule my gear. All risks are covered including my stupidity. If drop an item or leave it on the plane, it is covered. Costs around $1.25 to $1.50 per $100 per year. No deductible. I wish there was as I will not file a claim for a few hundred dollars.

2. Home owners covers most of my items. Protects against theft, fire, .. but not against my stupidity or bad luck. I believe this coverage is both inside and outside the house. There is a deductible.

Check with your home owner insurance agent or you can get camera insurance independent of home owner's insurance - check with any photo organize you are member of. Might even join one to get insurance.

Upvote 0