Travel with M5/6...what has served you well?

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
dslrdummy said:
AlanF said:
I am using the M5 with the Tamron 100-400mm. It is a very light combination for nature photography and very sharp. The lack of spot focus is a drawback for isolating a small bird surrounded by branches but as long as you can frame the subject in the smallest focussing frame the reproducibility and consistency of AF is simply outstanding and much more reliable than with my 5Ds. Here is a shot similar to one I posted in the Bird Portrait thread.
Thanks for that. I use the small frame but struggle to get consistently sharp shots even of an isolated subject. Whether it is a focus issue or sharpness (or operator error) I haven't worked out yet. The lenses work fine on my 1DXii. My understanding is that the small focus frame doesn't work in continuous AF and so I only shoot in non-continuous or switch to the larger frame with only average results. Will just keep exploring the camera and trying different lenses and settings.
Strange. The smallest frame is my most used setting.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
It really depends on what you are trying to shoot. I think you should be happy. I've traveled with my M3 kit (M3, 11-22, 18-55, 55-200, 28 macro, 22/2, etc). It is a very capable kit. The main issue with the M3 is AF, but that should be resolved with DPAF of the M5/6. The 11-22 is a very high quality lens. I know others love the 22/2, I haven't gone there yet. I would call the 22/2 and 18-55 as "good" lenses. Not amazing. What I've had issues with is flare, rendition of very bright objects, bursts, etc.

But, if you are looking to document your trips, I think you should be in good shape. If you are going to pixel peep, are looking for the absolute best quality, well, there is higher quality out there. But the M3 has contributed "memory" photos that I am very happy with for each of the trips I have taken it on.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Well i just returned from Kauai and it turns out 90% were on the 22 f/2. The rest were the 11-22 and frankly I could have just used the 22 but my ND filter was for the zoom. I didn't touch the 18-150 at all. I go back in June and will take the 5D3 with a full bag as I won't have kids with me and will have time. I must say I am very pleasantly surprised and am very happy I made the switch from the Pen F to the M5. Even ICM, Long Exp, low light, slow and fast shutter speeds, all did very well.

Attachments

• IMG_0694.jpg
    IMG_0694.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 253
  • IMG_0858.jpg
    IMG_0858.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0872.jpg
    IMG_0872.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 234
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
amunoztico said:
Hello...

I wanted to get a Canon M6 as a second camera mostly for travel, also as a second camera.

However, I have a concern: Will a Tamron 28-300mm lens work with a Canon M6 camera with M Mount Adapter? Any issue with the autofocus?

Thanks for your answers.

The M5 (M6) has a refined AF system which should be fine with most third party lenses. The best way to see if the AF is acceptable to you would be to take your lens to a dealer that sells the M5/6 and test it yourself. Good luck!

Upvote 0

JoFT

I do love photography
Nov 9, 2014
Germany
delightphoto.zenfolio.com
I did a lot of traveling last year and just published my experiences in my blog.... goo.gl/6jR1xF

My travel setup is pretty simple:
  • 12mm f2 from Samyang/Rokinon
  • EFM 22mm just great, no better choice even thinkable
  • EFM 28.5mm because a macro lens should travel with you - even if I do not carry it al the time with me (sometime I know that I do not need it
  • 50mm : I always cary a fast 50mm lens with me... In the beginning it was the Nifty Fifty - but since I have the Milvus 50mm f1.4 the bokeh of that lens disappoints.... and I started carrying the old EF 50mm f1.4 with me: sacrifying sharpness for better bokeh
  • since available the 85mm f1.4 L IS USM. Before I hade the 100mm f2.8L macro IS USM - but the 2 stops more are just killer.... and the performance of the lens as well.
  • And in some cases I do have the 200mmf2.8 with me - and than even with 2x extender....
Most of the time the camera gear is in my business backpack... and nobody realizes that I carry excellent camera gear with me....

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
slclick said:
Just sold my 18-150 today, got what I paid for it and good riddance.

I'm curious – what about it didn't you like?

I had a soft copy. Plus it hunted and rarely gathered. I know many folks have a good relationship with this lens but we just didn't hit it off. When I want longer on the M5 I use the 100L, it's big sure but it really produces beautiful images and the AF speed and accuracy is better than I had hoped for.

I also just got rid of my 100-400 so I'm hanging out in the lower focal regions and enjoying it until my dream primes come along. (Non L 85 and 135L version 2) The 22 rarely leaves my M5 and has become my B&W go to.

Upvote 0

JoFT

I do love photography
Nov 9, 2014
Germany
delightphoto.zenfolio.com
slclick said:
neuroanatomist said:
slclick said:
Just sold my 18-150 today, got what I paid for it and good riddance.

I'm curious – what about it didn't you like?

I had a soft copy. Plus it hunted and rarely gathered. I know many folks have a good relationship with this lens but we just didn't hit it off. When I want longer on the M5 I use the 100L, it's big sure but it really produces beautiful images and the AF speed and accuracy is better than I had hoped for.

I also just got rid of my 100-400 so I'm hanging out in the lower focal regions and enjoying it until my dream primes come along. (Non L 85 and 135L version 2) The 22 rarely leaves my M5 and has become my B&W go to.

In combination with the M5 the classical 200mm f2.8 is a nice option, it is pretty light and works well. If you combine it with the 2x extender you will need to stop down to f8.but than this combo works well. The 70-200 f2.8 has more pop, but it is much heavier....

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Legendary01 said:
Any experience with LCD screen while in super bright sunlight? That's what I'm most worried about before buying the Canon M6 vs Canon M50. M5 isn't an option as the flip downwards is just silly.

I agree about the screen yet I just keep it flush and don't use the flippy feature, that alone is not enough to have me buy another M series instead, the M5 is king.

Upvote 0