Tripod foot plate on 100-400mm II coming loose

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
My wife and I carry our 100-400mm II plus 7DII or 5DIII on a Black Rapid strap, fixed through both the camera and lens in case one or the other become detached and to spread the load. This precaution became important as I found the fixing plate for a tripod foot has become loose. It is held by just four screws, which look pretty flimsy. All four on one plate had become partly unscrewed. So a warning to all.

Does anyone know the correct screwdriver for tightening these screws, after using Loctite (Mt Spokane?).

Attachments

• IMG_1827.JPG
    IMG_1827.JPG
    262.9 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_1832.JPG
    IMG_1832.JPG
    244.5 KB · Views: 325

greger

7D
Jan 1, 2013
I would tighten the screws snug using a Phillips screw driver. I wouldn't use lock tight. Chances are you would never want to loosen the screws but if you did lock tight would be a problem. You don't want to strip the threads by over tightening. You could take the lens into the store you bought it at and they could tighten the screws for you. My quick release plate on my Manfoto 298 ball head came loose and I took it in to the store where I bought it. He used an Allen key and re-tightened it for me.

Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2013
Random Orbits said:
I wouldn't be surprised if they're JIS, but I used standard screwdrivers to take them out and it worked ok. I then replaced the foot with a RRS one that used hex bolts.

ditto - RRS replacement tripod foot is solid and allows efficient compatibility with typical clamps. Well worth the $100. Too bad they don't make one for the 70-200 II, 2.8 (I think) which is also an unstable connection. I find the tripod collars on both of these not up to L standards.

Upvote 0
Ditto, most likely JIS, not Phillips. OP - how did you get two Connect-R's on one strap? On mine it appears that would require cutting apart one end and re-sewing it. Also, I notice no Lockstars on either. I find mine does tend to unscrew itself via no apparent cause. Adding Lockstar has raised my confidence level (although if I had two Connect-R's connected I would guess that as sufficient redundancy.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
JonAustin said:
While the 100-400 II's tripod ring with removable foot is an innovative design, it doesn't appear to be all that sturdy / reliable. I think Canon under-engineered on this one. I only use mine to mount the lens to a tri- or monopod, never to tote the lens around on a strap.

+1, and yes to the RRS plate.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Vern said:
ditto - RRS replacement tripod foot is solid and allows efficient compatibility with typical clamps. Well worth the $100. Too bad they don't make one for the 70-200 II, 2.8 (I think) which is also an unstable connection. I find the tripod collars on both of these not up to L standards.

Huh? ???

The 70-200/2.8L IS II has an integrated tripod foot + collar, there are no screws except for the knurled knob to loosen the collar. A replacement foot isn't possible. Mine is robust and holds quite firmly (I have an RRS plate on mine).

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
old-pr-pix said:
Ditto, most likely JIS, not Phillips. OP - how did you get two Connect-R's on one strap? On mine it appears that would require cutting apart one end and re-sewing it. Also, I notice no Lockstars on either. I find mine does tend to unscrew itself via no apparent cause. Adding Lockstar has raised my confidence level (although if I had two Connect-R's connected I would guess that as sufficient redundancy.

We have two straps. One is of the straight type and the tape can be separated and a second Connect-R threaded on. The other is the curved, and the tape sewn in. I used a triangular fixing, which was surplus to my son-in-law's hammock. It will take my weight! Having two connections is key.

Attachments

• IMG_1833.JPG
    IMG_1833.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 940
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Interesting, mine loosened too.
I tightened it with a small Phillips screwdriver.
I didn't know there was a Japanese standard screw as well or a screw driver to go with it.
I must have a look for that blue stuff you all talk about to hold in screws.
You have alot of useful things in the US that you wouldn't typically find in Ireland

Upvote 0
JonAustin said:
While the 100-400 II's tripod ring with removable foot is an innovative design, it doesn't appear to be all that sturdy / reliable. I think Canon under-engineered on this one. I only use mine to mount the lens to a tri- or monopod, never to tote the lens around on a strap.

That is one reason why I replaced it with the RRS foot. Other reasons were that it was longer so easier to grasp, and it works with the release plates/clamps for my tripod, etc.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
If the RRS is secured by the same sized 4 screws then they will still be the weakest link even if they have different heads as they must have the same size threads.

A Phillips PH0 will tighten the screws but a JIS J0 would be better as it fits better and less likely to ruin the heads. I haven't been able to find one in the UK, unfortunately.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I can't get a JIS J0 here. Fortunately, the slots on the screws are deep and the metal is hardened steel so a high quality Phillips J0 fits well. I could apply adequate torque without any risk of damaging or even marking the heads. The screws aren't the shallow headed ones you find in electronics gear or the high torque cases you need putting a motor bike back together.

Upvote 0