Tripod for landscape photography. The main point to concern.

Jul 21, 2010
MrFotoFool said:
Don Haines said:
What about those tripod feet with both. The spike is there permanently, and you screw in/out the rubber to change the contact point from rubber to metal and back....
If you watch the original video, he says those do not work in tall grass because the spikes are too short to reach the ground. In some terrain I am sure he is correct.

Could be an issue with airport security, I suppose. As pointed out, the permanent spikes are usually pretty short (altough I'm sure they'd show up on X-ray). The RRS foot spikes are 3" / 76mm long.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
MrFotoFool said:
Don Haines said:
What about those tripod feet with both. The spike is there permanently, and you screw in/out the rubber to change the contact point from rubber to metal and back....
If you watch the original video, he says those do not work in tall grass because the spikes are too short to reach the ground. In some terrain I am sure he is correct.
Good point! Those screw in/out rubber/spike combinations work on carpets, but not very well outside.

BTW, this works on sandy areas....

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/552329-REG/Manfrotto_165_165_On_Ground_Tripod_Spreader.html

Attachments

• spreader.jpg
    spreader.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 230
Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2013
Nancy,
Just took the words out of my mouth!
I got stopped in HongKong Airport security after X-raying my gear backpack. With 7DII/70-200mm_2.8II and various batteries, backup HDD, etc. The pulled me out and inspected my bag for allen-keys, paper clip (for getting out iPhone SIM card and a stamped hex wrench 2.5 inches). He had to check with his supervisor for an Ok for the allen keys!
Never in several years over 20 times passing through many airports did it cause raised flags.
It really depends on the security officer's mind set.
-r

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
With regards tripods on planes, I regularly travel into and out of the USA with a Manfrotto 055 CXPRO3 in my hand as my 'personal item', I have never once been questioned by TSA about it. Indeed no airport in the world has ever questioned it apart from one time when I was leaving Japan at Narita, they measured it for folded length and it was well within their max allowable so apologized for even asking.

Upvote 0
sanj said:
ethanz said:
But isn't it rather cumbersome and shackling to have to carry a tripod around as opposed to just a camera?

Tell me you are joking. Tell me. Or tell me how long you have been doing photography.

Sanj - Why would he be joking? What does the length of time he has been photographing have to do with anything?

Upvote 0
lion rock said:
Nancy,
Just took the words out of my mouth!
I got stopped in HongKong Airport security after X-raying my gear backpack. With 7DII/70-200mm_2.8II and various batteries, backup HDD, etc. The pulled me out and inspected my bag for allen-keys, paper clip (for getting out iPhone SIM card and a stamped hex wrench 2.5 inches). He had to check with his supervisor for an Ok for the allen keys!
Never in several years over 20 times passing through many airports did it cause raised flags.
It really depends on the security officer's mind set.
-r

Yep I had the same thing happen to me last year transiting through Hong Kong. Two small allen keys taken off me because they were beyond the allowable length limit!!

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
ethanz said:
But isn't it rather cumbersome and shackling to have to carry a tripod around as opposed to just a camera?
You are right, it is cumbersome and shackling. However, there are things that are a lot easier to do with a tripod and we all make a personal choice based on our desires. Most people will not carry tripods, and the fanatics will.... and get those special shots.... Weight and awkwardness are the price to pay....

Monopods are an interesting middle ground, and depending on circumstances you can lean against things and prop up the camera to mitigate the lack of tripod, but sometimes only a good tripod will do.

Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2013
I strongly prefer to work from a tripod for landscape pics. I can then compose carefully and have the option of HDR and any shutter speed I prefer. Also is essential (for me, at least) when working with a TS lens. I recently traveled to Switzerland with a lot of kit, including tripod with gimbal head and had no issues with TSA - never had any on domestic trips either. I did have to go through extra screening at one checkpoint, but I think that was just luck of the draw.

A tripod might free you from preconceptions about how patient you can be in composing the best shot.

pic is of yours truly a top a rock to capture the second image. hard to do this panorama handheld - for me, anyway.

Attachments

• Stephen@work.jpg
    [email protected]
    320.1 KB · Views: 205
  • A1934_Panorama1_PS_hires_lores2.JPG
    A1934_Panorama1_PS_hires_lores2.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 230
Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
I've had TSA take small tools and at other times have had no problem. If you are concerned, I just ordered (and have not yet used) a Platypod Pro Max. This looks like it is basically a flat metal plate upon which one mounts a ballhead or gimbal. It does have little screw feet so I don't know if that would pass muster but it certainly is small and could easily slip into a travel bag. Not exactly a tripod but it seems to be a device I could put on a table or a rock or the ground and then use for stability like I'd use a tripod. Anyone else seen or used this?

Upvote 0
Among Canon cameras, my 1Dx2 is probably the best at high ISO, but since I moved to it I use a tripod more than ever. There are several reasons why for almost every landscape shot, I now use a tripod.

[list type=decimal]
[*]For the best DR, I need ISO 100, which means a longer exposure
[*]ISO 100 is also much cleaner, especially when printing very large
[*]It forces me to take my time and examine the composition, which leads to better photos
[*]Most of my shots use TS, which is much easier to manage when on a tripod
[/list]

I currently use a Gitzo Explorer Arm type tripod with an Arca-Swiss D4 geared head.

Pretty much every landscape shot in my recent feed - https://www.flickr.com/photos/calevphoto is with a tripod. The only ones not with a tripod are the macros and wildlife. Yes, perhaps I am a bit contrarian - I'll almost always use my 24-70/2.8 II with a tripod, but I always use my 200-400/1.4x handheld. :)

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
AJ said:
Here's a post that may amuse you
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-killed-my-tripod.htm

It's no surprise the examples were took mostly with UWAs, which forgive more with slow shutter speed (and may be light enough). Also "If the light is marginal, shoot several frames and pick the sharp one later." - I may prefer to ensure *I have* a sharp one, not hope to have gotten one later (chimping may not help), especially when I may not have a second chance :)

Yet, not all lenses have IS. Nor you can always shoot wide open (again, UWA helps to get enough DOF at larger apertures...)

There's also the fatigue issue. After a long shooting day, maybe with heavy lenses, my arms and hands can be far less steady than I'd wish. You may also want to put the camera in a position which is not equivalent of standing. You may become far less "balanced" in some positions. Still, IMHO, no vibrations is better than correcting them.

Sure, when I was using Kodachrome 25 I had to use a tripod more often than I wished - with digital I use it less, but I thinking is a relic of the past looks to be a bit too early... especially since carbon tripods are quite handy to carry along.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
As the sun goes down, exposure times go up. Without a tripod you miss half of the day.

I have a nice heavy studio tripod that weighs a ton and is solid as a rock. It is insanely impractical for landscape photography as it is so hard to carry..... A lightweight carbon fibre tripod that folds up to a compact size and fits onto (or even into) your pack will actually get used for it's intended purpose. Mine even comes along on canoe trips and without I would have missed a lot of images...

Attachments

• D16A9201.jpg
    D16A9201.jpg
    525.5 KB · Views: 198
Upvote 0
I have been doing landscape photography for a long time and usually don't use a tripod. Unlike many photographers I'm really not keen on blurring out waves and water motion. To me the shape of the waves, the sparkle of spray, the foam and bubbles of surf are all part of what I like to see. I see too many photographs with unrealistic misty water, which remind me of science fiction book covers. However there are certainly times when a tripod is essential. If you have a car and aren't carrying your equipment far there's no reason not to carry one. As Neuro says, for the blue hour you really need a tripod; also astro photography. And if of course you want long exposures you have no choice. Oh and panoramas. A tripod is essential for taking the sequence of images so you can merge them later.

Spikes? Well they aren't often useful. They ruin our floors and annoy airport security.

Upvote 0