Two ‘Big Whites’ coming for the RF mount in 2021 [CR2]

Mar 20, 2015
How big will a 'big white' be in RF mount?

Big. Most of the interior of a big white prime is a void, even in the latest III versions.

Knocking 20mm off the register distance is fairly insignificant on those scales.

Only if they start introducing more DO elements will their length be reduced. Look at the RF 70-200 f/2.8, it's actually longer than the EF lens at 200mm. Physics is physics.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
400 2.8. The 400 2.8L III is arguably the finest outdoor sports lens available. Seems like a great EF to RF move.
Originally, I thought 300 f/2.8 and 400 f/2.8, since those are the two most important lenses for photographing field sports. But we don't know how many pixels the R1 will have and whether it will have crop modes.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

lexptr

Photograph the nature while it exists...
Aug 8, 2014
Still not in my plans to buy a five-figure priced supertele, but I hope Canon will not sacrifice resolution this time. With mark III on EF they improved corners IQ (and, of course, weight) but lost some resolution. It is seen well when compared with x2 TC. The still-not-updated 300mm f/2.8 mk II is amazing! And 500mm f/4 mk II - too. It is, probably, very hard to make better. But worse is a possibility, unfortunately.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Still not in my plans to buy a five-figure priced supertele, but I hope Canon will not sacrifice resolution this time. With mark III on EF they improved corners IQ (and, of course, weight) but lost some resolution. It is seen well when compared with x2 TC. The still-not-updated 300mm f/2.8 mk II is amazing! And 500mm f/4 mk II - too. It is, probably, very hard to make better. But worse is a possibility, unfortunately.

That's what the market dictates unfortunately. If your lens is even 1g heavier than the competitions product, you are a failure.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Oh! Forgive my errant ways :) and my horrible constantly auto ‘correcting‘ touch keyboard....

Being a relocated Brit I do miss ‘proper’ fish and chips! Oh and I’ve had a hankering for a chip shop battered sausage for days!
Would that then be a battered banger?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
W
Oh! Forgive my errant ways :) and my horrible constantly auto ‘correcting‘ touch keyboard....

Being a relocated Brit I do miss ‘proper’ fish and chips! Oh and I’ve had a hankering for a chip shop battered sausage for days!
Well, that would be a battered sav (saveloy), a dagwood dog or a pluto pup in Australian parlance. An acquired taste to be sure :)
I learnt far too much at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saveloy
On topic... more big whites would be nice to see but perhaps they will be renamed for political sensibilities.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
W

Well, that would be a battered sav (saveloy), a dagwood dog or a pluto pup in Australian parlance. An acquired taste to be sure :)
I learnt far too much at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saveloy
On topic... more big whites would be nice to see but perhaps they will be renamed for political sensibilities.
That’s an interesting point, for years I owned motorcycles, big single trail and supermoto style bikes. The best suspension we had then was by a company called White Power, but after a while it was realized that the name had very negative connotations in world markets so was changed to WP.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
That’s an interesting point, for years I owned motorcycles, big single trail and supermoto style bikes. The best suspension we had then was by a company called White Power, but after a while it was realized that the name had very negative connotations in world markets so was changed to WP.
I haven't heard anyone referring to the 600/800mm f11 lenses as big blacks... or maybe more accurately big greys

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
That’s kind of true. But someone somewhere said that we’re in the golden age of lens design, and he’s right. The area in which DSLR’s will fall behind is with newer, better lenses. Not that present ones aren’t fine, but...
The only real improvement in lens design is in sharpness, and in my opinion sharpness is vastly overrated in its importance. MILC ‘s do allow for more accurate auto focus as well as much wider scene coverage and lower light auto focus.Indeed I see AF improvements as the biggest advantage for MILC’s over DSLR’s.

Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
The only real improvement in lens design is in sharpness, and in my opinion sharpness is vastly overrated in its importance. MILC ‘s do allow for more accurate auto focus as well as much wider scene coverage and lower light auto focus.Indeed I see AF improvements as the biggest advantage for MILC’s over DSLR’s.
Recently, the biggest improvement has been less weight In equivalent lens FLs.

Upvote 0