Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">*UPDATE*</span>

<span style="font-weight: normal;">Do not 100% quote me on which of the 2 big white lenses will be announced. It could be the 300 & 400 or 500& 600. I’m still working that out. The 300 f/2.8L IS seems to be the #1 candidate.</span></strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="font-weight: normal;">I’m still working on when.</span></strong></p>
<p><strong>Updated Supertelephotos

<span style="font-weight: normal;">I own a lens rental company and buy these big things. I own all the Canon supertelephotos. I was going to buy one more of 2 of the lenses and was told some things.</span></strong></p>
<p><strong>World Cup

<span style="font-weight: normal;">I reported in the past </span><a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/04/odds-ends-15/" target="_self"><span style="font-weight: normal;">here</span></a><span style="font-weight: normal;"> & </span><a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/03/coming-announcement-cr2/" target="_self"><span style="font-weight: normal;">here</span></a><span style="font-weight: normal;"> that new Supertelephotos were at the World Cup. We’ve also reported <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2009/12/big-white-lenses-cr1/" target="_self">lens hood design changes for the big lenses</a>.</span></strong></p>
<p><strong>Big White Lenses Being Replaced

<span style="font-weight: normal;">300 f/2.8L IS

400 f/2.8L IS

</span></strong>500 f/4L IS

600 f/4L IS</p>
<p>Now what may happen is only 2 of them being replaced at one time. The most likely candidates are the 300 f/2.8L IS & 600 f/4L IS.</p>
<p><strong>What will be upgraded?

<span style="font-weight: normal;">The obvious upgrades will be the IS systems and coatings on the elements.</span></strong></p>
<p>The BIG feature will be significant weight reduction. How much? I can’t say, but that’s what I’m told.</p>
<p><strong>How much will they be?

<span style="font-weight: normal;">If you want an ultra sharp out of this world supertelephoto from Canon, just buy any of the current ones. I own them all and they’re great. The new ones will come it AT LEAST 25% more expensive.</span></strong></p>
<p><strong>When?

<span style="font-weight: normal;">This is why it’s </span>[CR2.5]<span style="font-weight: normal;">, I don’t have a definitive time-frame. I’m told “soon”.</span> </strong></p>
<p><strong>Lens Hood Design

<span style="font-weight: normal;">I for one think the current lens hood design is annoying at the best of times. The one thing I do like is that the fastening mechanism is reliable, I have yet to see one break. If they do redesign the hood locking mechanism, lets hope it holds up over time.</span></strong></p>
<p><span style="font-weight: normal;"><strong>What about the 200 f/2L IS & 800 f/5.6L IS?

<span style="font-weight: normal;">I’m not sure if either of these are included in the supertelephoto replacement. Outside of perhaps a new hood, I can’t see them included.</span> </strong></span></p>
<p><strong>400 f/4 DO IS?

<span style="font-weight: normal;">I’ve heard nothing about a replacement for this lens.</span> </strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

C

CAT in HAWAII

<span style=\"font-weight: normal;\">The obvious upgrades will be the IS systems and coatings on the elements.</span></strong></p>
<p>The BIG feature will be significant weight reduction. How much? I can’t say, but that’s what I’m told.</p>
<p><strong>How much will they be?

<span style=\"font-weight: normal;\">If you want an ultra sharp out of this world supertelephoto from Canon, just buy any of the current ones. I own them all and they’re great. The new ones will come it AT LEAST 25% more expensive.</span></strong></p>
<p><strong>When?

<span style=\"font-weight: normal;\">This is why it’s </span>[CR2.5]<span style=\"font-weight: normal;\">, I don’t have a definitive time-frame. I’m told “soon”.</span> </strong></p>
<p><strong>Lens Hood Design

<span style=\"font-weight: normal;\">I for one think the current lens hood design is annoying at the best of times. The one thing I do like is that the fastening mechanism is reliable, I have yet to see one break. If they do redesign the hood locking mechanism, lets hope it holds up over time.</span></strong></p>
<p><span style=\"font-weight: normal;\"><strong>What about the 200 f/2L IS & 800 f/5.6L IS?

<span style=\"font-weight: normal;\">I’ve heard nothing about a replacement for this lens.</span> </strong></p>
<p><strong><span style=\"color: #ff0000;\">c</span>r</strong></p>
[/html]
[/quote]

Oh well, maybe the weight reduction will trickle down
In a few years to something I could readily afford,,,,

Nice to dream though! ::)

Upvote 0
J

Justin

Oh snap!!! This gets me excited.

Although I don't actually believe the super teles need much upgrading. A 300 that we could stick a 2x on and still maintain excellent sharpness would kill on a 7D for a portable in the field wildlife kit.

Also, it's not the lenses that are getting Nikon more sideline action, it's the D3s. It's a shame Canon hasn't answered.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I too was wondering "no 400(500,600)/5.6IS?"

Same here. These big white lenses are all very cool, but to be candid I'm more interested in lenses I might actually be able to afford. The 400 f5.6 is now almost old enough to vote. Adding IS seems long overdue.

Of course, I'd also like to see Canon update the 100-400 push-pull zoom, but have pretty much reconciled myself to accepting that will never happen. Now I'm waiting for Tokina's long-delayed stabilized 80-400. If it's as well made as their 11-16 f2.8 wide angle, I'll be satisfied.

Upvote 0
G

Grummbeerbauer

Not that I am currently on the market for one of the big whites, but adding another 25% on the already quite confident prices of the current models seems a bit overenthusiastic on Canon's side. While price might not be too much an issue for professional sports shooters when it comes to deciding between Canon or Nikon, it could still tip the balance (even more) in Nikon's favor.
However, given Canon's recent pricing trends, I still believe it. Question is: do they charge the extra 25% also in their home market prices in Yen and are now just using the introduction of new models to do additional long-needed currency adjustments (after all the Yen has been skyrocketing in the last two years against both $ and €). Or will Yen prices also increase by 25%?

Upvote 0
M

muteteh

stark-arts said:
This is one that canon is missing the ball on - a 200 - 400 f4 or 200-500 4/5.6 (with 400 @f4 at least) would sell big with the sports crowd. It's one of the 2 lenses that Nikon has that really canon has no counter for....

Two points regarding the long end & max f stop on those combinations:

A. Only 400mm f/5.6 would allow using front side 77mm filters, the others would require read end or gelatin filters. Some people might care, e.g. I have only the front mounted filters.

B. At those focal lengths, the extra stop or extra 100mm in focal length would probably make a big difference in price. If the price of a new EF 100-x00mm IS USM is ~25% over the price of the existing EF 100-400mm, I would probably buy it. More than that, and I just might have to give it up.

[If it ends with 500mm f/5.6 and costs like I can afford it, you bet your pants I'll buy it.]

Upvote 0
M

muteteh

kubelik said:
muteteh, what about a 200-400 f/4-5.6? would that push it past the 77mm thread size?

I guess a 100-300 f/4 with a 1.4x converter could serve as well on the long end, but the loss in AF speed would be a shame

As far as my limited knowledge in lens optics goes, 400mm / 5.6 = 71.4mm, so it should be possible to make this lens with 77mm thread size. If I should guess, such a lens would be too expensive for me to buy.

As for an EF 100-300mm f/4, my point is it would directly compete with other Canon lenses. If price was not an issue, why would one prefer an EF 70-200mm f/4 over the EF 100-300mm f/4 ? Same on the longer side - why prefer an EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6, if you can buy an EF 100-300mm f/4 + EF II 1.4x ?

Upvote 0
muteteh said:
As for an EF 100-300mm f/4, my point is it would directly compete with other Canon lenses. If price was not an issue, why would one prefer an EF 70-200mm f/4 over the EF 100-300mm f/4 ? Same on the longer side - why prefer an EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6, if you can buy an EF 100-300mm f/4 + EF II 1.4x ?
My 2 cents:

If the 100-300mm f/4 ends up with the size similar to the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS, I would probably still go with the smaller one for the sake of my aching back - especially for those torturing hikes. 8)

Likewise, the 100-400 + 1.4x converter would be my pick if I know AF speed is not an issue and I would need the extra 100mm distance. Of course, if the 100-300 f4 comes weather-sealed, that will definitely affect my decision lol.

I think the bottom line on this would be the photographer's priority.

For those traveling with a backpack in the wilds, the 70-200 f/4 is probably the best size-weight combo within the L rank. Next would probably be the 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6. or 400 f/5.6 (but these are all getting a bid heavy and take up too much room for comfort).

Now, if you're shooting birds (where AF speed will be an issue), 400 f/5.6 would be a better option than the 100-400 zoom, w/o getting into the realm of big white lenses.

Of course, for those people that already have the 100-400 or 70-200 f/4, there's less motivation for switching to the new 100-300; after all, the old ones work fine.

I don't think consumers need to worry about Canon releasing lenses competing with each other. The more lenses they release, the more choices we can choose from - a set of glasses that meet our budget and shooting needs. ;D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.