Update: The Canon EOS R3 will be officially announced on June 29th

EOS 4 Life

EOS R
Sep 20, 2020
I have not verified but someone calculated that a 4K RAW crop would be about the size of the 4K in the EOS R which makes perfect sense to me since the sensor sizes are pretty much the same.
I doubt Canon would do that so I expect a downsampled Super 35 cropped 4K.

UpstateNYPhotog

EOS M50
Jun 3, 2021
Based on the rumors, my main issue is the mismatched card slots. I'm stunned they'd do this on a 1 series/pro type body. Everything else is a great upgrade for me coming from the OG 1DX. I usually buy every other 1 series camera but skipped the 1DX mIII waiting for my mirrorless switch. This looks to be worthy. Of course, waiting for the release to double check rumor vs reality. :D
1 series cameras have had mismatched cards for several generations, although my memories blur on which had which. I've used all of them except the 1Dx III. Personally I would prefer them to be matched, but the SD slots were handy back when you could stick them into a reader for an iPhone and transmit a photo quickly.

EOS 4 Life

EOS R
Sep 20, 2020
1 series cameras have had mismatched cards for several generations, although my memories blur on which had which. I've used all of them except the 1Dx III. Personally I would prefer them to be matched, but the SD slots were handy back when you could stick them into a reader for an iPhone and transmit a photo quickly.
There is simply nothing as versatile as an SD slot, especially considering the Micro SD to SD adapters.
There are so many devices with either an SD or a Micro SD slot.

Reactions: 5 users

DJPatte

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Jul 10, 2020
Sweden
My guess…it’s the official unveiling with a vague “available at end of 2021”. Everybody is having a hard time getting anything with silicon out.
My guess is that this is an olympics show off release - they WILL get a couple of hundred or thousand or there in the next month :)

UpstateNYPhotog

EOS M50
Jun 3, 2021
Because the size of the files limits the speed and efficiency of my turnaround, storage and processing, and while all of those can be increased they can’t be increased at no cost. Which means my costs go up and my price has to go up, which is bad for business.

What is so hard to understand about the concept that more is not necessarily an advantage and for some it is a disadvantage? If I shot video and needed 4K I wouldn’t need an 8k camera, what is so different?
I think what you are pointing out is the difference between those who make a living with a camera and understand the challenges and expenses of editing, post processing and archiving, and those for whom it is a hobby, where one great photo from a session is all they want.

Reactions: 5 users

UpstateNYPhotog

EOS M50
Jun 3, 2021
There is simply nothing as versatile as an SD slot, especially considering the Micro SD to SD adapters.
Yes I forgot about the convenience factor. I have to keep a card reader handy for my 1Dx II files. I would have preferred SD instead of CF for the second slot in that body if they were going to be different.

Reactions: 1 users

privatebydesign

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jan 29, 2011
RF mount can accept EF glass, the reverse is not true. Therefore the RF mount is superior - you get the best of both worlds.
But you can’t get an OVF with RF, you can get an OVF and electronic view with EF.

Reactions: 1 user

st jack photography

..a shuttered lens, backwards viewing backwards..
30mp at 30fps is quite an achievement, and after using the 5DSr and then a SONY RX1Rm2, I am SO GLAD they went to a BSI sensor. (chef kiss)
I love the body form factor. I hope they keep that with the studio megapixel monster follow-up to 5DSr. If they can pull off a sensor like the 30mp/30fps, one hopes that they can do a 120mp BSI at 5fps with a variable low-pass filter. Ooo-wee that would be a nice camera!
At any rate, bye bye to my R5.

Aregal

EOS M6 Mark II
Oct 3, 2018
Canon also said at introduction that the R5 was NOT a replacement for the 5DIV, and yet it is.

They want to protect the 1Dx3's market value by calling it the flagship, but how can a camera with an obsolete mount be considered a flagship? The R3 will beat the 1Dx3 in almost every way, so it will be the flagship until the R1 arrives.
We still don’t know the buffer speed as the 1Dxiii is “buffer-less” only restricted by battery and card speed/space. Until we confirm the R3 is also “buffer-less”, the 1Dxiii will remain flagship with its fancy latch-release ultra-weathersealed card door compared to the R3/5’s.

UpstateNYPhotog

EOS M50
Jun 3, 2021
Yes. I miss being able to put an SD adapter into the CF slot in my 1Dx II

AEWest

EOS RP
Jan 30, 2020
We still don’t know the buffer speed as the 1Dxiii is “buffer-less” only restricted by battery and card speed/space. Until we confirm the R3 is also “buffer-less”, the 1Dxiii will remain flagship with its fancy latch-release ultra-weathersealed card door compared to the R3/5’s.
True, and we will find out shortly. But the way Canon had been marketing the camera with its focus on speed,for sports including auto racing, I would have a hard time believing the camera wouldn't have a massive if not unlimited buffer. A small buffer would kill the performance of it.
In terms of weather sealing, all we have been told is that it is equal to a 1D series camera.

SwissFrank

1N 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
Having owned both I can say for me the R didn't have anything over the 1DX3. It is smaller and lighter. If you like shooting video through the viewfinder that is a check for the R but every other category the 1dx3 is superior
You can say it, Reeferboy, but it doesn't make it true.

Smaller and lighter, as you cite, are already advantages. I really can't bear to watch you argue this "no advantages"--"here are some advantages"--"no advantages" line of argument. It's like I'm reading comments by someone with multiple personality disorder.

50% more MP is an advantage.

AF is an advantage.

Mounting RF lenses is a big-ass advantage. The RF 50mm/1.2 is literally ten times sharper than the EF, for instance. (It's 30lp/mm curves show higher contrast than the EF's 10lp/mm. This means you can multiple over 3x more vertically, and over 3x more horizontally, and still get the same microcontrast.)

Really the only shooter for which you're correct for, is one who doesn't care how big or heavy their outfit is, nor what their photos look like. It's puzzling why you don't just stick to your iPhone if you don't care about IQ. I'm puzzled why you're even on this forum, as your system is absolutely dead, with not a single lens or camera from Canon in years. This forum is for people interested in new products. You're not going to GET new products.

reef58

EOS RP
CR Pro
Apr 16, 2016
North Carolina
youtu.be
You can say it, Reeferboy, but it doesn't make it true.

Smaller and lighter, as you cite, are already advantages. I really can't bear to watch you argue this "no advantages"--"here are some advantages"--"no advantages" line of argument. It's like I'm reading comments by someone with multiple personality disorder.

50% more MP is an advantage.

AF is an advantage.

Mounting RF lenses is a big-ass advantage. The RF 50mm/1.2 is literally ten times sharper than the EF, for instance. (It's 30lp/mm curves show higher contrast than the EF's 10lp/mm. This means you can multiple over 3x more vertically, and over 3x more horizontally, and still get the same microcontrast.)

Really the only shooter for which you're correct for, is one who doesn't care how big or heavy their outfit is, nor what their photos look like. It's puzzling why you don't just stick to your iPhone if you don't care about IQ. I'm puzzled why you're even on this forum, as your system is absolutely dead, with not a single lens or camera from Canon in years. This forum is for people interested in new products. You're not going to GET new products.
I thought you were wanting to have a serious conversation, but I guess I should have known better. Smaller can be better, but I choose the 1dx3 even over my own R5 in inclement weather for instance. I also choose it over the R5 for recording longer videos. To say the original R has better auto focus than the 1dx3 is laughable. The 1dx also can shoot many more frames per second. The uncropped video from the 1dx3 is head and shoulders above the R. I will admit RF lenses are nice and the 85mm 1.2 is superb, but I mostly shoot landscape and wildlife, so I really don't have a need for it. I am interested in the 100-500 and even the 600 and 800 f11 lenses. I will take the 1dx3 all day every day over a box of Canon R's. The R is a great camera no doubt, but it does not compare to the 1dx3 for what I do.

I am not a moron so if I could get a better camera for $1500 or so (The Canon R) I would not fork out the money for the 1dx3. It makes no sense if what you say is true, but it isn't. It may be for you, but not for me.

If all you care about is MP then you can get a Fuji Medium Format or even a Canon 5dsr.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users