Update: The Canon EOS R3 will be officially announced on June 29th

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Aug 9, 2018
Yes. My original model EF 300 2.8 still takes amazing images. I think it's remarkable that Canon built a system in the late 80's such that you can still mount those lenses on an R5 from 2020 and do amazing work. I can't think of any other piece of expensive high technology that is so backwards/forwards compatible. Not that I still don't miss my FD 400 2.8.
What about mounting rangefinder-coupled Leica screw-mount lenses from the twenties on a 2021 Leica digital body?
And Leicaflex 1964 lenses on a 2021 Leica SL2 body?;)

Jun 28, 2021
  • Dual card slot SD & CFExpress
Does that mean one slot for SD or CFe or like the R5 SD and CFe at the same time?

Normally Dual Card Slot (without "s") means: there is one slot, and both card types can be used, but only one or the other.
The Sony A1 for example has two Dual Card Slots.

sanj

EOS R5
Jan 22, 2012
My big question is: Will the 4k of this camera be equal/better than the 8k of R5 converted to 4k? I adore how the R5 8k looks at 5k.

Aug 7, 2018
I have so far kept my strict policy of not selling any old camera equipment, even if I do not use it anymore. I do not like the idea that I get less money than I paid. So I do not care to much about losing value. I know that my 1D X is probably worth close to nothing now, but despite a few hot pixels it still does the same good photos as when I bought it many many years ago. I like the idea of still having all those stuff in 50 years from now like the old cameras your grandpa owned and never sold.

I hope that the new wave of cameras, which is more and more dependent on electronic components, will also last forever like one of those old SLRs.

Reactions: StoicalEtcher

EOS 4 Life

EOS R
Sep 20, 2020
Somewhere I read an explanation why that is unlikely: The idea of a DSLR is that you take a photo of what you see through the viewfinder. If the sensor is stabilized and the mirror is not, you lose that connection. That is different from using a stabilized lens, which will also appear stabilized through the optical viewfinder.
That sounds like a good explanation of why Canon and Nikon chose OIS over IBIS but I would still prefer to have both.

EOS 4 Life

EOS R
Sep 20, 2020
I am a happy Canon DSLR owner, but do see the writing on the wall. Canon would not want to keep two competing product lines going for very long,
Canon has had competing APS-C lines for a long time.
I am not sure they want to maintain that or even expand that further, but since Canon wins whichever one is sold it more comes down to whether or not it is worth it for them.

EOS 4 Life

EOS R
Sep 20, 2020
You'd just have to learn to shoot a little bit loose. I'd be worried that the theoretical single plane movement of the sensor might have just enough play in two or more planes to through off the AF. But I'm not an engineer so this is just a guess.
I do not really hear Pentax users complain.

EOS 4 Life

EOS R
Sep 20, 2020
I guess Canon has poor business acumen. When they switched from FD to EF mount, they phased out of FD even though many photographers had FD cameras and could not even adapt the EF lenses.
It surely worked out but it was a risky decision for sure.
Canon has been pretty conservative since then.

Aug 7, 2018
Did they announce yet at which time the announcement will be? Will there just be a press release or a real video or even live event?

EOS 4 Life

EOS R
Sep 20, 2020
I don’t remember an FD to EF converter. My point was that Canon is moving to RF, and phasing out of EF, which is a very expensive proposition. They need to encourage as many photographers as possible to make the switch. Making more EF cameras discourages the switch.
I hear this a lot but I can't really make much sense of it.
Canon does not benefit that much by getting us existing DSLR customers to switch to mirrorless.
We were going to buy new DSLRs anyway.
The point of mirrorless is to sell to people who were not intending to buy DSLRs.
They want extra sales.
If Canon has decided that it is no longer profitable to make DSLRs then of course they will want us to buy their mirrorless cameras.
Maybe that is switching in the mind of some people but I would call that settling.

EOS 4 Life

EOS R
Sep 20, 2020
My big question is: Will the 4k of this camera be equal/better than the 8k of R5 converted to 4k? I adore how the R5 8k looks at 5k.
It will be downsampled from 6.7K so it will be less sharp but whether or not it is better depends on some other factors like dynamic range and overall noise.

amorse

EOS R
Jan 26, 2017
www.instagram.com
I hear this a lot but I can't really make much sense of it.
Canon does not benefit that much by getting us existing DSLR customers to switch to mirrorless.
We were going to buy new DSLRs anyway.
The point of mirrorless is to sell to people who were not intending to buy DSLRs.
They want extra sales.
If Canon has decided that it is no longer profitable to make DSLRs then of course they will want us to buy their mirrorless cameras.
Maybe that is switching in the mind of some people but I would call that settling.
Only Canon knows it's intent, but I think there are a few ways to look at that potential benefit to Canon by pushing people to switch. For instance, I suspect a lot of mirrorless buyers will end up re-buying lenses they already own in EF, resulting in greater lens sales than otherwise anticipated. Secondly, it may be a long term approach to maintaining customers. I think performing the autofocus on the sensor directly holds some clear opportunities and if Canon were to ignore mirrorless entirely, some people may become more likely to change brands in order to access those opportunities in the long run.

With respect to Canon only offering mirrorless to those who didn't want a DSLR, I'm not sure where Canon sees DSLRs in their future, but they have certainly put the vast majority of their effort into RF and relatively little into EF over the last while. They may indeed be pushing people to switch so they can move away from (or drastically reduce) DSLR production/development and there are certainly signs pointing that way. The last two DSLRs they released seem to be the 1DXIII and 850D in January and February of 2020, and plenty of camera lines appear to be either discontinued, behind on past release schedules, or nearing their typical renewal dates without any rumours of EF replacement. Further, the last EF lens releases were the 70-200 f/2.8 III and the 70-200 f/4 IS USM II in 2018; and several EF lenses have been rapidly discontinued, including one of the new EF 70-200's. None of that gives me a ton of confidence that a new batch of high-end DSLRs are coming from Canon. But hey, those sticking with DSLRs may yet be rewarded with extra cheap EF deals on the used market for a while so it's not all bad news!

tapanit

CR Pro
Jul 17, 2012
I believe there was an FD to EF adapter available for CPS members. I remember researching it. I think it was a 1.3 teleconverter. I never saw one in the flesh.
There were two different FD-EF adapters: one with optical elements that was indeed a teleconverter, intended for telephotos, the other without optical elements, effectively an extension tube that resulted in loss of infinity focus, intended for macro lenses. Similar 3rd party adapters are still available.