update: video Canon 6D turns itself off after a few shots with full battery

Re: Canon 6D turns itself off after a few shots with fully charged battery

do you know anyone else that has a 6d or a 5D2 or 5D3? i would try to see if your batteries reproduce the failure in another camera or if their batteries reproduce the failure in yours.

i certainly sympathize with you concerning the service center's response so far. if it were me i would try to truly isolate what the problem is by eliminating as many variables as possible...thus the battery/camera swapping.

it is possible that you got a bad batch of batteries, meaning both of the batteries you recieved from B&H were faulty in some way. i don't think this is the problem but proving that definitively on another camera could be useful.

after that, i would stay on the service center. they are great most of the time but every once in a while they turn into frustrating dopes. it happens...

make a big stink and demand answers or replacement. try to remain calm with them as they should react better if you present your case with reason and documented facts.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

Its pretty obviously not a battery issue, since you tried two new batteries. Its likely a internal issue. They can be hard to duplicate, you mentioned that it happens after a large number of consecutive shots, but are you using high speed capture and holding the button down, or just clicking the shutter a hundred times? Canon will not want to put several hundred actuations on your camera to check it out unless you are specific.

It is only easily duplicated if you tell them exactly what shutter mode it happens in, and when it happens (At shot 111). If its a random number of shots, it could be 1000 sometimes.

I hope it gets resolved.

Upvote 0

Pieces Of E said:
DD, early in this post, you said you had the camera only 30 days(which you should have contacted B&H immediately), now you call it a 3 month old camera, being at Canon for less than a month which means you are not telling the truth about it's actual age. Also, you should have copied your video onto a CD and not a CF card and they might have taken a look at it. You also didn't tell us which Canon repair facility you sent the 6D to. I hope you got your camera fixed or replaced for all you've been through, but your story doesn't jive.

hmm, I purchased the camera on Oct 24th and delivered by the end of Oct, when I contacted Canon, it was around Dec 8th, wasn't roughly a 30 days? yeah, 40 days exactly. But I passed the return window from B&H.

Now, it is 3 months old. I was saying the camera has been in their VA repair facility for almost a month for two repairs.

Upvote 0

Mt Spokane Photography said:
Its pretty obviously not a battery issue, since you tried two new batteries. Its likely a internal issue. They can be hard to duplicate, you mentioned that it happens after a large number of consecutive shots, but are you using high speed capture and holding the button down, or just clicking the shutter a hundred times? Canon will not want to put several hundred actuations on your camera to check it out unless you are specific.

It is only easily duplicated if you tell them exactly what shutter mode it happens in, and when it happens (At shot 111). If its a random number of shots, it could be 1000 sometimes.

I hope it gets resolved.

It is not that bad, it only takes 20 shots to 100 shots at most to repro it. But this is truly a random number, 40 is the usual number I hit, but I had the issue reproduced with 0, 1, 2, or any number of shots.

The worst part is I included a video, but they didn't bother to look at it. In that 2minutes video, the camera died twice without a single shot.

Upvote 0

Well I do not have that exact problem however I found out that when I have the GPS turned on inside a Building the battery will discharge very very fast.

In fact sometimes I have only taken a few shots and left it in the camera back. The NeXT day the camera does not even turn on. This is because the GPS is always on (if not deactivated in the menu) even though you turn the camera off.

Upvote 0

Gorku said:
Well I do not have that exact problem however I found out that when I have the GPS turned on inside a Building the battery will discharge very very fast.

In fact sometimes I have only taken a few shots and left it in the camera back. The NeXT day the camera does not even turn on. This is because the GPS is always on (if not deactivated in the menu) even though you turn the camera off.

But in that case, your battery is actually completely drained, right? In my case, GPS is turned off, and the battery is still almost full. If I turn the camera off and turn it on again, battery info still shows 90%+ battery.

Upvote 0

you know, it hadnt occurred to me before but all of a sudden i am reminded of my 5DC turning itself off intermittently.

turns out the on/off switch was a bit faulty. the camera would power down with just a slight bump of the switch. it wouldnt even move to the off position at all...just a bit of a nudge and the camera would go down.

it didnt help that the switch was on the back where my face would bump it while shooting and i realize the 6D has its switch on the top left of the camera but it might be worth wiggle the switches gently to see if that powers the camera down

Upvote 0

agierke said:
you know, it hadnt occurred to me before but all of a sudden i am reminded of my 5DC turning itself off intermittently.

turns out the on/off switch was a bit faulty. the camera would power down with just a slight bump of the switch. it wouldnt even move to the off position at all...just a bit of a nudge and the camera would go down.

it didnt help that the switch was on the back where my face would bump it while shooting and i realize the 6D has its switch on the top left of the camera but it might be worth wiggle the switches gently to see if that powers the camera down

The camera is still with Canon at this moment, but I doubt that is the issue since in your case, I will assume the camera won't display flashing empty battery, right?

Upvote 0