Updated PowerShot G1 X II Specs

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/02/updated-powershot-g1-x-ii-specs/"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/02/updated-powershot-g1-x-ii-specs/">Tweet</a></div>
<p>Below is a list of additional specs for the PowerShot G1 X. It looks like Canon is really trying to create a market for this camera based on the spec sheet.</p>
<p>The new flagship of the PowerShot line is expected this week.</p>
<p><strong>Specifications</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>Lens: 24-150 f/2.8-3.9</li>
<li>DIGIC 6</li>
<li>30 AF Points</li>
<li>3fps with AF, 5fps with focus locked</li>
<li>Macro Mode: 5cm</li>
<li>Wifi</li>
<li>NFC</li>
<li>Tilt Screen</li>
<li>Touch Screen</li>
<li>EVF is optional</li>
</ul>
<p>More to come.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
Albi86 said:
Is the EVF only for the G1X2?

Sounds like an interesting addition to DSLR as well...
Every hotshoe mounted EVF from other manufacturers I'm aware of so far* has used an extra port/connector for the data throughput, usually below the hotshoe. I doubt anything like this could be retrofitted to any existing products without the port/connector.

* someone is bound to prove me wrong on this ::)

Upvote 0
Hi,
NFC = Near field communication??

Hmm... If I remember correctly, Canon had a patent sometime ago on communicating the lens with the camera body wirelessly. Hmm... may be Canon are testing out the technology on this model?? May be the camera body will communicate with the lens and EVF wirelessly using NFC?? But NFC communication is quite slow right?? Just wonder??

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
weixing said:
Hi,
NFC = Near field communication??

Hmm... If I remember correctly, Canon had a patent sometime ago on communicating the lens with the camera body wirelessly. Hmm... may be Canon are testing out the technology on this model?? May be the camera body will communicate with the lens and EVF wirelessly using NFC?? But NFC communication is quite slow right?? Just wonder??

Have a nice day.
NFC is commonly used as a protocol to initiate more capable communication channels such as WiFi. This particular camera is rumoured to have a built in lens, so no reason to replace hardwired connections with wireless. Also, what's the point of removing some of the electronic contacts on a lens mount? You can't remove them all without putting batteries in the lens, so what's the point? And what's the problem with electronic contacts within the mount in the first place?

NFC wouldn't have sufficient throughput for a viewfinder. EVF's in their current guise have many issues which make them inferior to OVF's, and lag is certainly high up that list. Any form of additional delay such as that introduced by even the fastest WiFi connection is a big problem. A physical connector is by far the best method. Besides, who wants to have a camera where is constantly says 'Connecting', and then needs lots of menu options and power cycles before you can finally grab the shot? I thought that was what the Sony QX100 was for ;)

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
What does "30 AF points" mean in the context of a mirrorless camera?

With an SLR, it's how many linear arrays are on the AF sensor (and their corresponding optics, of course), but if it's contrast-detect, you can define the area of detection anywhere, and if it's dual-pixel on-sensor PDAF, you've got millions of "AF points" which can be aggregated in a myriad of different ways.

So I'm back to what does "30 AF points" mean?

Upvote 0
Lee Jay said:
What does "30 AF points" mean in the context of a mirrorless camera?

With an SLR, it's how many linear arrays are on the AF sensor (and their corresponding optics, of course), but if it's contrast-detect, you can define the area of detection anywhere, and if it's dual-pixel on-sensor PDAF, you've got millions of "AF points" which can be aggregated in a myriad of different ways.

So I'm back to what does "30 AF points" mean?

I assume it means that there are a small number of on-sensor phase detect points, similar to what we saw in the EOS M/SL1/T5i sensors.

Upvote 0
Dianoda said:
hgraf said:
NFC? Why? I guess so I can "bump" my phone/tablet up to the camera to transfer an image? Seems like something that could be covered by WiFi. Feature creep?

NFC would be for faster/easier pairing between phone and camera, the data connection itself would still be wifi-based.

True, but how many times a day would you do that? I think, for most people, they would use NFC for that reason once, and that was it. After all, once you're phone/tablet is paired, it's paired, no reason to do it again.

Again, sounds like a "feature" that's only there for advertising, unless they've come up with some other use?

Upvote 0
I am kind of shocked, what is the point regarding those specs? Beside of the "okay" sensor those specs dont bring any speciality back to compact cameras. The apperture of the g15 & g16 is 1.8-2.8 combination with a digic5 and some decent iso usability you are able to create amazing images. Macro is the same, wifi as well (g15 with sd card)... Touchscreen? I dont have a touch screen on my 1dx and I know why. There areny many buttons to work with TV/AV to create something great. What do you think?

Point and shoot with f/2.8-3.9 ??? and with this size?
I use the g15 next to 5 Mark III and 1dx, I would love to upgrade from g15 to digic6 but in lag of having no 1.8 apperture??? Noooo....
Digic6, workable iso 1600; 24,25,26,27,28 - 130/140/150; hot shoe attached; tight and perfect feel of body; what else do you need?

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
Lens: 24-150 f/2.8-3.9

what I concern is…

The Photo show the Lens " CANON ZOOM LENS 5X IS"….. That means it will have a 5x zoom lens with Image Stabilization…

but if 24-150 is true , it will be a 6.25x zoom lens….. 24-120mm Will be 5x…

By this reason , either the specification above or the photo is fake…

Upvote 0