USB C Charging for 1DX III and/or LP-E19

andrewmckay

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2020
I am trying to find a USB C battery or direct-through-camera charging solution so I don't need to lug around the bulky charger for longer trips.

IIRC the R5 and R6 can charge their batteries when provided USB C power. Trying this with my 1DX III hasn't worked and at best I've only found a charger that accepts 12v input but is still kinda bulky.

Anyone know of a charger that takes USB C input to charge LP-E19 or can point out what I am doing wrong with my 1DX III?

Thanks!

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Mar 25, 2011
1. There is no in-camera charging so hooking power to the USB port for something it isn't intended for is a very bad idea.

2. That means you need a external charger. They are going to be larger than the battery. This is not a common camera or battery. You might find one or two chargers from name brands like Watson but they will be the same size.

I think you are going to have to use a large external charger.

Reactions: andrewmckay

andrewmckay

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2020
1. There is no in-camera charging so hooking power to the USB port for something it isn't intended for is a very bad idea.

2. That means you need a external charger. They are going to be larger than the battery. This is not a common camera or battery. You might find one or two chargers from name brands like Watson but they will be the same size.

I think you are going to have to use a large external charger.
1. I would agree in general that it's a bad idea but given the USB C standard, and my trust that Canon and the charger I used adhere to it, I gave it a shot. Nothing bad happened at all. But I do not advocate that it was the best idea either, $6500 camera and all (that would suck).

2. Yea, commonality is definitely not helping me here... There are some smaller ones but none from a brand I'd actually trust. For now I guess I am stuck with the included charger till I rig up a USB C to 12v circuit and plug that into the 12v charger I did find (still bulky but hackable enough).

Thank you for the quick reply!