Hello

I bought a new Canon Extender 2x III to use with my Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II together with my Canon EOS 5D mark III. Must say the Canon EF 70-200 lens got a totally new use on my natur photography. The extra 2x extension really makes the lens so much more fun taking pictures of birds and other animals. The sharpness is still great and in god sunny condition it really is great.

One thing it have noticed when using the the extension 2x III on my Canon EF 70-200mm on top of a monopod I get a slight wiggle, 1mm play, clockwise and anticlockwise. It is most notable between the connection of the extender and the lens, but also a very slight wiggle between the extender and the mount on the camera. It is not giving me any focus problem or quality problem. Just noticed today that when leaning my hand on the camera to take a picture I felt this small wiggle. It is like there is a small play of Max. 1 mm between the locking pin the hole.

Is that normal. I am just worried that something is off and by carrying it on the monopod it could get worse?

Best regards

The newborn bird and animal photographer

/Kenneth

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Kenneth.
I just checked my 70-200 II on my 2xIII on 2 bodies, a1DsIII and a 7DII, both have a smallish amount of backlash similar to what you describe, and also a slightly smaller amount between the extender and lens.
I would say it is pretty normal to have some backlash on each connection, it is essential to have some clearance between the pin and the mount, this is what you are seeing.

Cheers, Graham.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Hi Kenneth.
I just checked my 70-200 II on my 2xIII on 2 bodies, a1DsIII and a 7DII, both have a smallish amount of backlash similar to what you describe, and also a slightly smaller amount between the extender and lens.
I would say it is pretty normal to have some backlash on each connection, it is essential to have some clearance between the pin and the mount, this is what you are seeing.

Cheers, Graham.

Hey Graham

Thanks a lot for taking your time to check your canon lens and extender :) happy to hear that you have the same small movement/rotation in between the connections ;)

Now I just need to put my worrying away and go do some shooting :)

have a great day, and again thanks :)

/Kenneth

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
No problem Kenneth, I seem to have plenty of time on my hands at the moment!

Cheers, Graham.

Hey Graham

Thanks a lot for taking your time to check your canon lens and extender :) happy to hear that you have the same small movement/rotation in between the connections ;)

Now I just need to put my worrying away and go do some shooting :)

have a great day, and again thanks :)

/Kenneth

Upvote 0