Venus Optics officially announces the Laowa 58mm f/2.8 2x Ultra-Macro APO

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS-1D X Mark III
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Anhui China, 22 September, 2022 – Venus Optics, the lens manufacturer that has been always endeavouring to invent unique lenses, is stoked to release the Laowa 58mm f/2.8 2x Ultra-Macro APO. This mirrorless-designed macro lens offers a 40.9° angle of view on full frame sensors. And like many other Laowa macro lenses, it can focus from 2:1 magnification to infinity which makes it suitable for professional macro, portrait or a walk-around lens. It features an apochromatic (APO) design that chromatic aberration is compressed to the minimum. With 3 ED elements and 3 Ultra-High Refractive Index elements, the lens delivers an outstanding sharpness. Despite its metal housing, the lens only weighs 595g which is extremely portable. It comes with 4 mount options: Sony E / Canon R / Nikon Z / L mount and a price of USD499.

5828_CanonR_3-168x168.png

Continue reading...

Chaitanya

EOS 5D Mark IV
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
I've got one here for testing if anyone has any questions - solid build, fully manual, but good optically

A 20min YT overview:

The problem of dust when I'm photographing electronic components ;-)

View attachment 205717
Apparently Venus is going to come out with RF version of 65mm Macro, if you get hands on one please do a comparison between 58 and 65 for crop bodies.

Chaitanya

EOS 5D Mark IV
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Not unless you send me a crop body to test as well... :)

The only crop body I have is Karen's 100D - which I did indeed test a Laowa 65mm on several years ago. A very different lens

Does Rp have a crop mode? That 65mm Macro is crop macro for mirrorless mounts and until now EF-M mount was the only option for Canon users and soon RF mount version should be available. Would like to know how these 2 lenses compare on crop RF bodies.

koenkooi

EOS 5D Mark IV
CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
Does Rp have a crop mode? That 65mm Macro is crop macro for mirrorless mounts and until now EF-M mount was the only option for Canon users and soon RF mount version should be available. Would like to know how these 2 lenses compare on crop RF bodies.
It does, it will give you an 11-ish MP image.

Reactions: 1 user

keithcooper

EOS RP
CR Pro
Maybe it does, but I'm not testing crop sensor cameras...
An APS-C crop on the RP is not much

Reactions: 1 user

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Mar 25, 2011
I just received the email from Keith about his review but before I could go to it, I saw the post here. I'd like to be more expert at macro photography and have bought a ton of various gadgets to help but never seem to find the time to become proficent at using them. My EF 100mm L Canon macro has had the front element ring loosen so that it may have rotated. I tightened the retaining ring, but it does not seem as good as before. It may be imagination, I don't know if that front element is plain glass or a actual lens element.