Vertical Mount Options, for Product type shots: Recommendations? C-Stand attachments? Mounts?

Jan 29, 2011
privatebydesign, while using the Manfrotto Side Arm is some kind of counterbalance needed, or if the tripod is well places the whole system is balanced enough? I mean with something like a 5D + 100L macro.
I’ve used it with the 1 series and the 100L macro without a counterweight very effectively, but the Manfrotto 058b is a heavy tripod! As you can see from the above picture it is very easy to set it up with a counter weight if more reach or stability is needed or if you use a heavier camera setup.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
First....THANK YOU everyone for the great input, suggestions and examples!!

I've decided to try first going with :

Super clamp
Magic Arm

As my first shot at this. From what I"ve read, it should support my camera and lenses I'll be using immediately.
And if by chance, it isn't sturdy enough, I"m come to figure that these tools are NOT uni-taskers (as Alton Brown puts it)...and I'll be able to use these for other photo/video/lighting needs.

And for now, I think clamping to table if it works, will suit my cramped workspace to begin with, BUT if this doesn't work I"ll get the Side Arm....as that the RRS clamp I'm getting will work on that too.....

Anyway, it appears that corona is still causing B&H to ship out slow...so, unfortunately I won't get it by this weekend and will have to play with it next week at least mid-week or more, but I"ll try to report back on how it worked out for me.

Again, I VERY much appreciate all the kind help and support I've gotten and continue to get on this fine forum!!

Cayenne

Upvote 0
index.php
Brilliant!

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks, my heavier tripod is a only 055XPRO but I'll give it a try.
I can put it on my 055 with a 1 series and the 100L macro, what kind of extension length are you looking for that the center column won’t do for you now?

Here is a shot from today where I was using the 055 and horizontal column With a1DX II, TS-E 17, 600EX-RT, and CamRanger Mini all on an Arca Swiss d4.

16.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I wish to keep the ability to raise or lower the central column a little when required. Moreover when using the central column in horizontal mode it looked to me not rigid enough. Your looks a carbon model and I guess is more rigid. Mine is an aluminum model. I will like to have an extension of about 40cm, if possible.
Here it is at 17" center of center column to center of lens. It is solid but needs a counterbalance either on the opposite leg or the other end of the arm to prevent tipping, it just balances with the 1DX II so a 5 series should be a little better, 18" and it starts to tip.

Hope this helps.

57.jpg

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Yes, your experience is very useful - I would need it to take some photos where I can't put the tripod legs over the table because it's full of delicate objects - for the same reason I'll need to be very careful the contraption doesn't fall on it. I have one of the Manfrotto weights and I can use it or a sandbag if the weight is too heavy. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
That's good, glad it helped. Though my bigger tripod can be had for under $200 delivered on eBay (assuming you are in the USA), it is a real steal for the price and super solid, just a great heavy duty option and the Triaut system is genius, goodness only knows why all tripods don't have a similar arrangement.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
That's good, glad it helped. Though my bigger tripod can be had for under $200 delivered on eBay (assuming you are in the USA), it is a real steal for the price and super solid, just a great heavy duty option and the Triaut system is genius, goodness only knows why all tripods don't have a similar arrangement.

I might look into that myself....heck, we can ALL use an extra tripod or two laying about the house, eh?
;)

C

• Haha
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I might look into that myself....heck, we can ALL use an extra tripod or two laying about the house, eh?
;)

C
I can vouch for the 058. I’ve had mine since about 1988, and the design hasn’t changed apart from the colour ! Very quick to set up, reaches 6’ eye height without central column, solid as a rock, saves on the cost of gym membership if you carry it out and about.

• Haha
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Though my bigger tripod can be had for under $200 delivered on eBay (assuming you are in the USA),

Manfrotto is far more expensive in its home country than in USA :) Here a 058B is around 500€, and no great deals on ebay. A geared column is in my wish list since I got a geared head though, and since most of my tripods and accessories are Manfrotto, the 058B looks what I need. I just to take its weight into account when I have to quickly move away - in many cities here is forbidden to take photos with a tripod without authorization... - but for studio/on site work it would be great.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Manfrotto is far more expensive in its home country than in USA :) Here a 058B is around 500€, and no great deals on ebay. A geared column is in my wish list since I got a geared head though, and since most of my tripods and accessories are Manfrotto, the 058B looks what I need. I just to take its weight into account when I have to quickly move away - in many cities here is forbidden to take photos with a tripod without authorization... - but for studio/on site work it would be great.
When I lived in the UK I was always amazed at the great bargains the old heavy out of style equipment was at places like Mifsud and MPB. But yes in the USA we do get some great bargains sometimes, I think manufacturers and import/export agents occasionally use it as a dumping ground.

Upvote 0