Viewfinder or Live View

Viewfinder or Live View?

• Viewfinder

Votes: 27 87.1%
  • Live View

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
Jan 1, 2013
I like the size of the M. But I can't use the life view. First, under bright light, it can't be used, the reflection just washes out the screen, plus the glare and reflection. Second, my eyes are no longer good with myopic condition.
The M5 is attractive with its viewfinder. But the touch screen cannot be turned off, thus the focus point may be changed inadvertently in contact with the face, making it undesirable.
Then, there is the higher cost.
-r

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2015
Depends. I generally shoot on tripod and do lots of macro, so the brighter image and not touching the set-up is a big plus with live view. For hand-held, however, viewfinder. The mass of my body that is connected through my face against the viewfinder helps restrict movements of camera.

There more options:
- tethering. Have only used it once or twice our of curiosity.
- wireless on hand-held device. Have used that a couple of times, but only recently as the Wifi option became available for 5DsR. Really convenient if camera is in odd places.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi tahoetoeknee.
I predominantly shoot viewfinder, very rarely I use live view for low or high angle shots, I also occasionally use DSLR Controller wth a 7" tablet tethered via USB cable for macro and other special circumstances which would usually involve a tripod too. In fact even when using a tripod I prefer to use the viewfinder unless dictated by camera location, position or orientation.
I do not like the ergonomics / physics of holding a large DSLR and lens out in front of me to use the live view, it makes no sense to me as the quality of my images suffer when I use this technique.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Valvebounce said:
Hi tahoetoeknee.
I predominantly shoot viewfinder, very rarely I use live view for low or high angle shots, I also occasionally use DSLR Controller wth a 7" tablet tethered via USB cable for macro and other special circumstances which would usually involve a tripod too. In fact even when using a tripod I prefer to use the viewfinder unless dictated by camera location, position or orientation.
I do not like the ergonomics / physics of holding a large DSLR and lens out in front of me to use the live view, it makes no sense to me as the quality of my images suffer when I use this technique.

Cheers, Graham.
Same for me!

Upvote 0
Perhaps a 3rd option for both should be added

Unlike an earlier poster, I do my macro handheld as I mostly shoot insects etc and for that, I shoot through my viewfinder.
When the subject is stationary and I shoot off of a tripod, I shoot liveview as the 10x magnification, histogram and electronic level (7Dii & 6D) as this guarantees sharpness, exposure and horizons are correct.

For moving subject, I like the viewfinder as it seems to be an extention of my body and I adjust easier to birds in flight etc

Upvote 0
Although I almost always use the viewfinder for my own shooting, I have found Live View to be quite useful when handing my camera to someone else to take a photo. Frequently, as I pass the camera to them they look at the rear LCD monitor, expecting to see the scene they are about to capture. It doesn't matter how clearly and carefully I explain how the viewfinder works they are far more comfortable using the LCD monitor to frame the picture. With the 5D mk 4 I have enabled touch shutter, so all they need to do is tap on the part of the screen that they want to be in focus and it takes the picture. What could be easier?
However in practice I think it depends whether you come from the smart phone generation or not. I would much rather use the viewfinder as it gives me more control and I feel the camera is more stable if I hold it to my eye rather than at arm's length.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Sabaki said:
Perhaps a 3rd option for both should be added

Unlike an earlier poster, I do my macro handheld as I mostly shoot insects etc and for that, I shoot through my viewfinder.
When the subject is stationary and I shoot off of a tripod, I shoot liveview as the 10x magnification, histogram and electronic level (7Dii & 6D) as this guarantees sharpness, exposure and horizons are correct.

For moving subject, I like the viewfinder as it seems to be an extention of my body and I adjust easier to birds in flight etc
Agree! We need both option.
For portraiture at high speed sync: Live view.
For sport: viewfinder.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Ian.
Of course there is another problem with arms length, we nearly all reach an age where our arms are not long enough! :)

Cheers, Graham.

Ian_of_glos said:
I would much rather use the viewfinder as it gives me more control and I feel the camera is more stable if I hold it to my eye rather than at arm's length.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
neuroanatomist said:
SkynetTX said:
Viewfinder, of course. The point of using a DSLR is that you can see the same image in the Viewfinder that you going to capture. LiveView is for point and shoot and mirrorless cameras. :)

Put a 10-stop ND and a CPL on your lens, then try composing and focusing with the viewfinder. ;)

Or how about the lesser model range (some here must still use XXXD or older XXD models) where the viewfinder is only 95%, liveview helps with those to see what is not missing from the shot that should be! :)

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
magarity said:
Count one more for arm's length not being long enough to see the Live View clearly.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what the focus of the viewfinder is distanced to? I never have a problem seeing it, so it must be at least a little more than one arm-unit :/

For me, LiveView makes sense if I am working with a tripod, but using LiveView handheld is just plain silly, and more than a little annoying. So no tripod, no LiveView.

Upvote 0