We Have More Internal Canon Service Information on Lenses & Cameras

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/04/we-have-more-internal-canon-service-information-on-lenses-cameras/"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/04/we-have-more-internal-canon-service-information-on-lenses-cameras/">Tweet</a></div>
Yesterday we posted an <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/04/eos-1d-x-eos-1d-c-cold-weather-autofocus-issues/" target="_blank">internal service advisory for the Canon EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C</a>. These are advisories that are only known to a select few within Canon and not told to the consumers.</p>
<p>We have a lot of more of these documents that cover various Canon lenses and camera bodies, there’s even more on the EOS-1D X mirrorbox.</p>
<p>The person that sent them to us didn’t have an issue with Canon keeping this stuff internal. However, they were upset that a lot of the issues are known to Canon and they’re still charging customers for the repairs out of warranty. There are a couple of lenses with design flaws and Canon is charging $250-$450 for these repairs out of warranty and not fully disclosing the design flaw to the customer.</p>
<p>We’re not sure whether or not we’ll post the rest of the internal documents we have in our possession. If you think there’s value in us doing so, <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=20341.0">please sound off in our forum</a>.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Nick Gombinsky

Workaholic and alcoholic
Apr 27, 2011
Buenos Aires
Well, I for one think that it is a scam to sell something that will brake because of a design flaw and then charge for it's repair.
I vote for releasing this information and have Canon deal with what should have dealt when they realised they had an issue. We shouldn't have to pay for someone else's mistake.

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2014
The reason these forums exist is to share information. So yeah, anything factual of this nature should be socialized. If there is a known design flaw, then that is different than a malfunction of a lens after the warranty expires. For a design flaw Canon essentially sold something that was not as described and presented in the marketing materials. It hurts, but they should make good on them. Their reputation and consumer confidence is at stake. Otherwise, what are we to believe in the future? Should we buy a $3000 lens that is a piece of junk?

Please post any information that you have, so at least we know what lens are affected and what the issues are.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Well I think you should if the info discloses information showing that Canon is charging customers for design flaws. The equipment that Canon sells is typically at an incredibly high price, however, we are willing to pay this because of its optical and build quality. This sounds as if Canon is cheating its customers, and in that case I'd think that its your obligation to post it.

If this is just info that only hurts Canon, but doesn't show any misuse of customer trust, then that's up to you.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Of course you should get the information released, but I'd be very careful how you do it. Goodwill and being in, or on the edge, of a loop can swing both ways.

Consumers should be privy to this kind of information, just ask the new Chair of GM. But it is equally important to keep perspective and not let rumour and incorrect conclusions unduly damage the core business, after all I am sure every company has such a list of papers. When I worked for Mitsubishi, many years ago we, had a silent recall on Pajero/Shogun manual gearboxes, to my knowledge nobody was ever hurt because of a failed gearbox and they were quietly replaced whenever a customer got a new clutch, but the huge cost and pressure of thousands of people demanding new gearboxes all at one time because of a recall would have completely overwhelmed the dealerships, that would have lead to poor service and cut corners, and subsequently the diminishing of a brand that tried to do the right thing.

But Canon should not be charging for faulty or failing design or manufacturing issues.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
R1-7D said:
Yes, absolutely post the rest of the internal documents! I am particularly interested in the new Canon 24–70 II lens clicking problem.

Both GM and Toyota have got caught with their pants down because of internal documents and ignoring problems. Why should Canon get away too just because it's a camera maker?

The fundamental difference between GM and Toyota, and Canon, is that faulty cars kill people, a clicking 24-70 is annoying.

Keep perspective.

Upvote 0
I would say go ahead and release the info. However people need to keep in mind that some of these including the 1dx issue involve issues when operating the equipment out of spec. Canon states that the 1dx working temp is 0-104 and this flaw occurs at temps less than that.

So before anyone claims a sham, check the specs first.

Yeah you can drive your car on the sidewalk but its not designed for that so you cant claim its a fault when your suspension breaks driving over a bike rack.

Upvote 0
ImageDayphoto said:
I would certainly like to see this information having just had to replace my 24-105mm L zoom due to an auto focus fault which, based on other internet forums appears widespread
Interesting. I have had one almost since introduction date and never had that problem. Never heard of it either. Must investigate.

Upvote 0