Weather Sealing on Canon Eos R5

Hello, earlier today my camera was slightly dirty so what I did was clean it with some water and pour it over my camera with my weather-sealed lens as well.

Right after I had a thought and wondered if it really was ok to clean it with water slightly.

Everything seems fine and honestly, there seems to be no water damage and I wasn't hosing it down so I came to the conclusion that it was alright, but I just have some slight concerns.

Overall, I don’t see any damage and everything seems to be working fine and the SD cards/rubber gaskets seem fine as well.

Jul 21, 2010
‘Drip and dust resistant’ doesn’t mean waterproof. Use a moist rag to clean your gear, not running water. I use my 1D X and R3 in the rain when I need to, but I wouldn’t deliberately pour water on them and they have better sealing than an R5.

Hopefully you got lucky and no water got in. If some did, unfortunately the problems can take days or weeks to show up – a small amount of water may not short out any components, but can lead to the slow development of corrosion that causes delayed failure. Good luck!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hello, earlier today my camera was slightly dirty so what I did was clean it with some water and pour it over my camera with my weather-sealed lens as well.

Right after I had a thought and wondered if it really was ok to clean it with water slightly.

Everything seems fine and honestly, there seems to be no water damage and I wasn't hosing it down so I came to the conclusion that it was alright, but I just have some slight concerns.

Overall, I don’t see any damage and everything seems to be working fine and the SD cards/rubber gaskets seem fine as well.
Put it in a plastic bag with desiccant as soon as you can.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
The OP's post made me go cold. Wait for a 'my R5 viewfinder mists up and camera doesn't work' posts shortly.
Yeah, what a piece of crap camera. Canon is the worst company ever, just warning you about this camera's massive problems that everyone has. Make sure you don't buy an R5, can't even take a bath with it.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Nice? But thank you for the advice I haven't seen any issues yet
As Neuro said, it can take time. Best thing to do is follow AlanF’s advice. Pack it with Silica gel, you can get them from Amazon, the more the better. These cameras are not waterproof.

Upvote 0

GPA

Dec 1, 2022
You won’t, they aren’t rated.

Basically, just shy of keep it hermetically sealed. :confused:

================================= Canon's response ====================================
Dear GPA,

Thank you for contacting Canon. My name is Gwen and I am happy to discuss the weather sealing on the EOS R5.

There is not an IP rating for the weather sealing on the EOS R5. We recommend limiting exposure to water as much as possible, and if the camera is exposed to water to dry it off as soon as possible. We have information on the weather sealing and steps to take if the camera is exposed to water on page 23 of the manual. If you need a copy of the manual it is available HERE. Once you are on the web page click on the Manuals button and the one to reference is named EOS R5 Advanced User Guide.

If the camera is still working correctly after drying it off it most likely is okay. If it is malfunctioning after exposure to water we would recommend sending the camera in for repair. The Canon U.S.A., Inc. online repair portal allows you to set up service in a few simple steps. The repair portal gives you the ability to set up service for multiple pieces of equipment at once, and to receive a repair estimate in the majority of cases, depending on your model and issue. The portal also allows you to upload images or videos that will assist us in repairing your product. You can also select how you wish to be notified of the progress of your repair. The portal's service history section allows you to view all services that have been performed on any of your camera or video products since January 7, 2020.

Please follow the link below to access our online repair portal to arrange for service:

===================================================================================

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

================================= Canon's response ====================================
Dear GPA,

Thank you for contacting Canon. My name is Gwen and I am happy to discuss the weather sealing on the EOS R5.

There is not an IP rating for the weather sealing on the EOS R5. We recommend limiting exposure to water as much as possible, and if the camera is exposed to water to dry it off as soon as possible. We have information on the weather sealing and steps to take if the camera is exposed to water on page 23 of the manual. If you need a copy of the manual it is available HERE. Once you are on the web page click on the Manuals button and the one to reference is named EOS R5 Advanced User Guide.

If the camera is still working correctly after drying it off it most likely is okay. If it is malfunctioning after exposure to water we would recommend sending the camera in for repair. The Canon U.S.A., Inc. online repair portal allows you to set up service in a few simple steps. The repair portal gives you the ability to set up service for multiple pieces of equipment at once, and to receive a repair estimate in the majority of cases, depending on your model and issue. The portal also allows you to upload images or videos that will assist us in repairing your product. You can also select how you wish to be notified of the progress of your repair. The portal's service history section allows you to view all services that have been performed on any of your camera or video products since January 7, 2020.

Please follow the link below to access our online repair portal to arrange for service:

===================================================================================
Write to them asking about the weather sealing on the R3 and compare the response. Do you think in advance they will offer different advice?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
As I said, they’re not IP rated. When they say ‘dust and weather resistance’, they mean they use a variety of engineering methods to reduce the chance of dust/moisture ingress. Those include (in increasing order of protection) tight joins, foam seals, and rubber seals / O-rings. The better the camera/lens sealing the more foam and rubber are used, so a 1-series camera has many rubber seals and O-rings while an R10 has few. An R5 is in the middle.

None of that means the cameras are water- or splash-proof. Using your camera in the rain is always a gamble. Personally, I’ve used my 7D and R3 in light rain and my 1D X in moderately heavy rain (always with L lenses) and had no issues. But if my camera or lens did fail after use in the rain, I know it would be my responsibility to pay for repairs.

AFAIK, the only ILC with a strong IP rating was the Nikon 1 AW1 and it’s associated lenses, they were waterproof to 15 m. That was part of Nikon’s first MILC venture, that ultimately failed.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The only two camera companies I know naming the IP rating are Olympus and Leica (for some products, like OM1 and SL 2).
Canon's answer is, as expected, vague and diplomatic.
I didn't know the OM-1 was IP rated, though it's IP53 (good dust resistance, 3 minutes of rain). The big difference with the Nikon system is that it could be submerged (IP68 rating).

My Olympus TG5 is rated waterproof down to 15m.
The Panasonic TS-30 cameras I got for two of my kids are waterproof to 8 m. But neither they nor your TG5 are ILCs.

Upvote 0