What’s next for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6?

Maybe Canon will disable or limit some of the computational features going on during photo and/or video record. From what I understand the new bodies get hot when doing photos alone as the processors are really working overtime doing all the real time scene/face/eye recognition. Apparently the algorithm was done to search for and/or track many objects besides just human faces/eyes/animal faces/animal eyes.

If it's doing all this in video too, it could be a good thing to have the option at least to use a more basic form of tracking. Maybe a lowered bit rate too, or at least the option to.

Only so much you can do in a rubberized bodied camera.

I would think a good solution (if you can't implement a cooling fan/vents) would be to implement the heat sink into the tripod screw and have an optional finned heat sink you screw onto the bottom. Or maybe a hotshoe solution. But what do I know.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I rush job to get it out before Sony's new camera , and they lose custom to them maybe .

I think Canon believed they were delivering a well balanced solution for most users. What they underestimated was the vocal band of Youtubers that would be screaming because it didn't deliver high end professional video functionality at $3,900. The same Youtubers that don't have a need for 8k or even HQ 4k. For most hybrid shooters, this camera has a lot of capability in a small package. I like the fact this is a compact solution that can deliver outstanding video and stills, It was never intended to shoot full length movies or hours of Youtube broadcasts. Opens up a lot of capability for those on a budget.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
if it’s anything like most of the engineering groups I’ve worked with the conversations are “We told marketing there were thermal limits to these modes why did they publish them as headline features?” And “Great now we have to clean up their mess”
8k was always a headline that you couldn’t bury. The took a calculated risk and it didn’t pan out the way they thought. Having pre-announced it, they couldn’t even disable it. That would be a more humiliating situation. They hoped they could announce the limits and everyone would be reasonable. Somewhat naive given that the SM influencers care most about the money they make from conflict ”shows” on YT and the like.

Bottom line, everyone knew. Engineering did the best they could with the time and other constraints. Now they’re all having a rethink on their collective decisions.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
From production vise - if they start to think how to upgrade body to deal with heat, then new iteration will be available this time next year an not earlier. Unfortunately R&D takes time, then testing testing testing. Once that done - then you need to set up production process. Run first batch - get it to test, then certify with FCC/CE/etc. Then production + shipment.
The way how R5 and R6 are built - were already fixed year ago. Some improvements to FW could be done, but in a lot of cases FW capabilities are limited by HW.

If they couldn't find this problem with the last "testing testing testing" what makes us confident they'll get it right next time?

Upvote 0
What CANON needs to do is simple. They leave the body as it is. They announce a new firmware that will address by 20-30% the recording times and cooldowns by adding lower bitrates and maybe a more efficient codec. The new firmware also provides 8k/4k raw in external recorder. They do a good collaboration with Atomos and introduce Apple Prores Raw in 14/16-bit like Sony did w/o overheating issues! If they want they can add easily 1080p/240 with tham massive processor R5 has inside. So at the end of the day a photographer will have the ultimate tool for stills and the serious videographer with an addition of external recorder a cinema camera that can do almost everything! And that's where I leave it...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Krispy

EOS R3/R5
Oct 21, 2019
They should just have released the R5 and advertised it as a still camera. Then leave a hidden option in the custom function menu to enable 8k and raw recording. Everyone would go nuts over it and not even complain it would overheat.
I feel like the 8k overheating is obvious. It's expected. It's the 4k HQ overheating where people are finding fault. From what I've been seeing though, the 4k LQ doesn't overheat.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Welcome to the internet in 2020, where:
- the R5 is DOA before shipping because it has limitations on features that no other competitor even offers yet
- the R6 is DOA because its only 20megapixels and that's useless for everything (its a little known fact that no images were taken, and certainly not published, before the first 20+MP sensor was invented a few years ago)
- the new Sony a technological powerhouse no one could have dreamed of, and 12mp is adequate for most photographic uses

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0
I think Canon believed they were delivering a well balanced solution for most users. What they underestimated was the vocal band of Youtubers that would be screaming because it didn't deliver high end professional video functionality at $3,900. The same Youtubers that don't have a need for 8k or even HQ 4k. For most hybrid shooters, this camera has a lot of capability in a small package. I like the fact this is a compact solution that can deliver outstanding video and stills, It was never intended to shoot full length movies or hours of Youtube broadcasts. Opens up a lot of capability for those on a budget.
Well to be fair they were pre-announcing features which were ahead of the pack when it came to video. They were aiming high... and they‘ve stumbled. The trouble is, even if they fix it with hardware changes by November, the denizens will pounce and say why didn’t Canon withhold it by a few months.

Does make you think about if there will be further refinements even after november

And one wonders if the R1 already has better cooling or whether it will also require design changes.

Guess the announcement in August will be an interesting one. Shame it’s not just firmware. I’d be happy to get it now and wait for the video firmware fixes later....

Upvote 0
If they couldn't find this problem with the last "testing testing testing" what makes us confident they'll get it right next time?
Well in general that is not a problem, because its written in documentation. Its a limitation that people dont like and therefore will not buy product. Its a failed product planning.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Well, this is a joyous thread to read lol.

My R5 arrived a few hours ago and so far the only disappointing thing about it is that the battery comes completely without charge. :mad: Luckily I had an old one from my R I could use to set it up.

Initial thoughts are that it feels great in the hand, didn't overheat once whilst going through every menu and updating the firmware for the RF 24-105 & 70-200 lenses. :D

I have only taken a few shots and first impressions are :p :love::D and it actually seems to be a quieter shutter than the R but it sounds so good on 12 fps. I'm itching to get out and play but I have been dragged away by she who must be obeyed to do boring stuff.

One thing I need to read up on is how to interpret the card menus to set them up to save to both cards, Raw to CFexpress and Heif / JPEG to UHS11. The menus seem to be different to the 7D I had which was quite simple.

All this talk of a recall is depressing as I have never purchased a camera at launch and am unlikely to suffer with overheating as I am an occasional video shooter so unsure of how a recall would work and really don't want to be without it for any length of time but, I suppose if it's going to help longer term then it has to happen.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Krispy

EOS R3/R5
Oct 21, 2019
With B&H closed today and my grip already on the way, how would I know if I got in on the first shipment?
They started shipping yesterday. If you didn't get a shipping email, you weren't in. Mine's getting delivered today from BH and the grip's coming Friday.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Krispy

EOS R3/R5
Oct 21, 2019
Well, this is a joyous thread to read lol.

My R5 arrived a few hours ago and so far the only disappointing thing about it is that the battery comes completely without charge. :mad: Luckily I had an old one from my R I could use to set it up.

Initial thoughts are that it feels great in the hand, didn't overheat once whilst going through every menu and updating the firmware for the RF 24-105 & 70-200 lenses. :D

I have only taken a few shots and first impressions are :p :love::D and it actually seems to be a quieter shutter than the R but it sounds so good on 12 fps. I'm itching to get out and play but I have been dragged away by she who must be obeyed to do boring stuff.

One thing I need to read up on is how to interpret the card menus to set them up to save to both cards, Raw to CFexpress and Heif / JPEG to UHS11. The menus seem to be different to the 7D I had which was quite simple.

All this talk of a recall is depressing as I have never purchased a camera at launch and am unlikely to suffer with overheating as I am an occasional video shooter so unsure of how a recall would work and really don't want to be without it for any length of time but, I suppose if it's going to help longer term then it has to happen.
Super cool. Mine's coming some point today. Disheartening to hear recalls and stuff when first waking up, but if it perfects the body, why not? My atomos is a nice work around for some of the issues for me, but I'm still super stoked. I don't usually pre-order or jump in the first batch with big purchases like this, but I've been waiting for the R5 for a while now. My 5DII and 5DIV were great when I got them a few months after launch, but the R5, hoping it's better.

Upvote 0
They thought the 8k gimmick would gloss over the cracks, also they are relying on all their loyalist customers to defend them no matter what problems the product has, also they are aware that many people are trapped behind thousands of dollars of great EF glass already owned. They also thought they had the best looking girl at the dance, but then Sony and the A7sIII walked through door.

So as a photogapher who doesn't really do video, why would I be tempted by Sony's newest body? "Loyalist customers" sounds like projection to me.

Upvote 0