What’s next from Canon?

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Why three copies of the 100-400mm II Alan?
I have one and its a good lens but I'm not sure its much better than Sigma's or Tamrons lens competitor 150-600mm lens.
It's a flexible lens but I thought overpriced at its original price.
Is the R5 your first venture into mirrorless or do you have the R/RP
I'll be very interesting in real reviews of the R5 and the 100-500mm. Every mp and mm matters when it comes to birds.
Bought one, loved it. Then bought a second for my wife to use. Bought the Sigma 150-600mm. It was so good I sold the first 100-400. Then missed the 100-400 so much I bought a third. All 3 copies were excellent. But number 3 is as tack sharp from edge to edge as the 400 DO II. I passed the R as, sorry folks, it is not up to 5DIV for BIF.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
you are correct. I overlooked that part. Thanks for pointing that out

NP - I'm actually interested to see what the price on the new one will be. You know it has to be less than the L version of the 100-400, and the prices on the 600mm and 800mm non L lenses are obscenely low.

Hopefully it renders nice images for a great price!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I just don't understand why when we talk about the 5D Mark V, some people are so keen on bashing the idea. It's like they enjoy doing so.

Can't these people understand that many of us still prefer the size, the grip, the OVF, the built-in GPS, the longer battery life, the sturdier build quality that DSLRs offer? And the ability to mount EF lenses natively and access a wider range of lenses.

Also, what about transition/overlap? You really think you stop the 5D lineup as soon as the first iteration of its mirrorless equivalent is released? FFS, Nikon is still building a film DSLR.
Why is doubting there will be one considered bashing? It isn’t. It’s simply speculation either way.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
DSLRs will always have one advantage: the speed of light. No electronic viewfinder will ever match a mirror.

Honestly, I fail to understand the way some on this forum (not you) have an almost religious devotion to mirrorless systems. I use both. I like both. There are advantages to both. I have yet to see anyone make a solid business argument that Canon is going to walk away from the DSLR market or the EF system anytime soon.

From business perspective Canon can sell RF glass of the same FL as EF mount once more :). Obviously there is risk, someone might say if I have to buy all lenses again I might jump ship but IMO that is a very calculated risk from Canon especially when 5 axis image stabilization works well with R5 and R6 when using EF lenses. So people jumping ship because of a new mount at this point are very less likely plus when it comes to lenses and products working without hiccup Canon is second to none.

Upvote 0
I wonder where the R1 is. Wasn't there a late 2020 or early 2021 rumor for an announcement?
I think Canon would want to sell a few more 1DX MkIII first but I would like the R1 to be announced. If the R1 is a bit bigger than the R5 and doesn't have the recording limits with better heat dissipation I think it could be attractive to filmmakers.

Upvote 0
Considering cancelling my R5 preorder now seeing that there may be a higher resolution version in the pipeline... is there any truth to this rumor? Is a high-res R5 something we'd see before 2022?
Who really knows? - no-one here I'd imagine - the only certain thing is that there will always be a newer camera 'just around the corner'. Sometimes you just have to pull the trigger, take the shots with what you have, and get the next one once its arrived :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Bought one, loved it. Then bought a second for my wife to use. Bought the Sigma 150-600mm. It was so good I sold the first 100-400. Then missed the 100-400 so much I bought a third. All 3 copies were excellent. But number 3 is as tack sharp from edge to edge as the 400 DO II. I passed the R as, sorry folks, it is not up to 5DIV for BIF.
An interesting relationship with the 100-400L. Glad the final copy was the best. The 1DXIII is great for BIF - would be even better with 30 more MP's. It's not designed for small birds.

Upvote 0
Personally I am looking forward to more 3rd party lenses for RF and hopefully some EF as well. Canon announcements are cool but some 3rd party lenses that are more affordable would suit the budget and needs of hobbyists and enthusiasts like me. I am specifically looking forward to Tamron expanding their FE lineups to the RF mounts, especially the 28-200mm and the 3 small F2 prime lenses. I suspect the 28-75/2.8 and 70-180/2.8 will be pretty popular as well. The Sigma 45/2.8 will be popular as well I think, but I already have the 35mm f1.8 and its just a bit too close in focal length, but I can see people that like the 45mm focal length would get this Sigma 45/2.8 small prime as well.

How about you? What are some lenses or even accessories or cameras that you look forward to?

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
No, because the M5 does not have an articulating screen. M50 is exactly what I want with the 2 extras I mentioned.

That feature should be coming to the rumored M5 Mark II as well. Canon seemed to have realized that the flip down screen on the original M5 was pretty useless for most, which is why the lower priced M50 that came out later got a fully articulating one.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I must confess, I'm disappointed about the RF 24mm f/2.8 IS STM Macro rumor. Since wide lenses are where the RF mount is supposed to shine, why is the 24mm only 2.8? Why not 2.0, or at least 2.2? I doubt the RF will be much smaller and lighter than the modestly sized EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM, so I guess it will be quite a bit sharper? Since they're calling it a macro, I suppose the MFD will be less than the 8" of the EF, but I want some speed. 2.8 is quick for a zoom at this focal length, not so much for a prime. It's too early in my RF relationship to become disillusioned...

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Canon had a 70-300mm DO zoom. Don’t know whether or not it was any good, but they did make a DO zoom.
I forgot about the 70-300 DO. It wasn't very good, but it was the first--over 10-years ago--, so I suspect that Canon can do much better today.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I wouldn't understand why Canon wouldn't release a 5D Mark V.

90% of the job is done.

Body and shape : just re-use the Mark IV, it's perfect
Sensor and DIGIC : just re-use the R5
AF : just re-use the AF of the 1D X III or a "lighter" version of it

Done.

I'd gladly buy such a camera. Throw at it something unique such as a feature to get rid of this AF micro-adjustment thingy and it's a dream come true.
What would be the cost for this new 5Dv beast? No EVF but prism/ mirror box, AF system from 1DXii (maybe?) will add significant cost even if everything else is the same. Focusing/AF will still be better (coverage/subject tracking) will still be better via live view similar to 1DXiii. It would also mean a fixed screen vs flippy on R5. OLED top screen? It may happen but would people pay USD300-500 more than R5 for it given the lower sales volume now that the R5 has been released and is moving people over to RF (including me)?

Upvote 0