What’s next from Canon?

Jan 29, 2011
That's in units sold, and ignoring smartphones, levels have returned to those of the mid-nineties, the market is shrinking, and that's in face of population growth. I don't envy camera manufacturers' position.
In the context of my original comment. that was in response to another comment, I was just pointing out that even with these seemingly dire reductions in numbers looking at range limited data belies the historical market numbers. If camera buyers can be motivated with new releases, as the R5 and R6 seemingly are and the Sony A7S III almost certain to do as well, even at the reduced sales volume I believe the ILC market Is still sustainable.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I would hope the RF 100-400 is in fact an L series lens. I just can't stomach buying an f/7.1 lens. F/5.6 is slow enough! I'm hoping it will be something like an f/4 at all focal lengths, with even closer MFD than the EF version II. Maybe a dream lens, and pricey, but it would be sweet, especially if it were great with an extender.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Last edited:
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I don't undserstand why you think they would want to , I mean the new R5 is the new 5d , there's nothing in it for them , thousands of bought into the RF system now , they are not going to bring out a 5D now it doesn't have a big enough following anymore .
And you know that how exactly?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
They will be building out the RF system for many years to come. The last EF lenses were released in 2018. Since 2018, Canon released 15 (fifteen) RF lenses and 0 (zero) EF lenses.
My bet is we've already seen the last EF lens and the last EF camera (1DxIII). 90D was the last EF-S crop one. The M line will probably continue to live (that is being upgraded).

5DV? same elusive dream as 7DIII. I think there's a non-zero chance Canon releases it next year as a 5D line swan song, but the chance is really small IMO.

I'm moving to mirorrless and the R line, will keep all my EF lenses for now and will be upgrading slowly to the RF ones. My EF 16-35 f4LII will be the first candidate to be replaced by RF 15-35 f2.8. Don't know if and when that happens as I've already scratched the bottom with the R5 preorder.
There is no such thing. You must have meant EF 16-35 f/4L IS. I do have both this and RF15-35 but when I want to travel light the 15-35 is an issue. and I prefer 5D4 with 16-35 (Many times it exists in a bag that also contains 5DsR behing the 500mmII). But yes I like the idea since I got EOS R mainly for 15-35 IS and 24-70 IS. No use in museums, churches interiors yet though due to covid-19...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
R6 is not enough?

By the time one crops the 20MP of the R6 to APS-C size, one only has 7.8MP left.

The 20.2MP APS-C 7D Mark II has a sensor density equal to a 50MP FF sensor.

Compared to the $1,799 introductory price of the 7D Mark II, $3,899 is a bit steep to pay for use as a fast handling, high sensor density, built like a tank sports/action/wildlife camera. There is that rated 500,000 cycle shutter in the R5, though, compared to the 200,000 cycle rating of the 7D Mark II's shutter.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I wonder where the R1 is. Wasn't there a late 2020 or early 2021 rumor for an announcement?

I'm fine with them waiting a while, especially given the state of the (American) live sports industry.

The timeline for the 1-series has been totally wrecked by the postponement and possible eventual cancellation of the XXXII Olympiad in Japan, as well as the lack of sports on almost all levels during most of 2020. I doubt even Canon knows at this point when an R1 will emerge.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I wonder where the R1 is. Wasn't there a late 2020 or early 2021 rumor for an announcement?
What is up with all these STM lenses? You spend 4500 Euros on camera, thousands of Euros on cards, 15 000 on a PC, and then you go and buy yourself 300 Euro cheap lens? LOL IDK.

They've already released many premium lenses along with two lower end bodies. Now they're releasing two higher end bodies to go with existing lenses and several lower end lenses to go with existing bodies.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Yes, last week was a HOT week for Canon possibly it’s best with the announcement of those stunning new bodies not to mention new lenses and convertors etc.

Those five new lenses to follow sound tasty I think I’m going to stick with my EF versions of the nifty fifty and my 70-200mm f/2.8 after all I’ll need a use for my EF / RF adapter for something.

I’m not sure I’ll use my 17-40 f/4 much anymore having experienced the sharpness of the RF 24-70 f/2.8

The RF 24mm really appeals to me and maybe the 18-45mm I guess that could be a cheaper kit lens, but it would be nice if Canon made it a red stripe f/4

I really fancy an R6 if the pennies allow, using a 1D for so many years 20MP has never bothered me and wow 102K native ISO is fantastic for a camera in its price range.

Well done to Canon you nailed it this time!

The EF 17-40mm f/4 L has been showing it's weaknesses since digital sensors passed about 10MP or so. It's still a decent lens for the price as long as one intends the output for web use and smaller display sizes. And it is still built like a tank to take a beating in tough environments.

I'm surprised they didn't remove it from the catalog after the introduction of the EF 16-35mm f/4. Once remaining stocks run out, they probably will officially mark it discontinued.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Come on, Canon, give us a refresh of the EFS 17-55 F2.8. Even if it's the last EFS lens you make. You probably have the design already. Just give it to us. Take our money.

Yes!! Really wanted to use with the cinema line, also the Canon 17-85 should get a refresh.

I think EF-S line was dead even before the EF line. The last EF-S lens was in 2017, last EF - 2018. The production and sales will obviously last for quite a while, but not the development.

That ship sailed a long time ago.

Canon has not released a premium APS-C only constant aperture zoom lens since 2006 when they rolled out your EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS.

The closest they've come to releasing a premium APS-C only prime lens was the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM in 2012, unless one counts the Macros with built-in ring light EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM and EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM released in 2017 and 2016, respectively.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
At 120fps in the EVF I can assume the additional lag (compared to the OVF) will be no more than 1/120s. Considering that 0.1s is a very good reaction time to press the shutter button, the EVF adds less than 10%.

You might be mistaken in that assumption. It's not necessary for the EVF to display one frame before the sensor begins collecting the light for the next frame. There could be multiple frames in various points of the image pipeline between sensor and EVF all at the same time, just as there are multiple images in the camera's buffer while writing bursts to a memory card.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
It was claimed that the 100-500 was f/5.6 at 400mm but Gordon Laing's cameralabs video has this:
View attachment 191314

Canon discussed it during their launch presentation. f/5.6 at 400mm when they were talking about engineering and design.

The disparate results could be due to differences in methodology.

Maximum apertures are not "stairsteps" as focal length increases, they are slopes.

How one decides where to put the crossover line between f/5.6 and f/6.3 affects the results.

Is f/5.6000001 considered already f/6.3? Probably not since "f/5.6" is rounded from the actual result of (√2)^5 = 5.657...

Is f/6.2999999 considered still f/5.6? Maybe, since (√2)^5.333... = 6.349...

Or is the dividing line halfway between, at about f/6.0? [ (√2)^5.16667 = 5.9932...]

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
I wouldn't understand why Canon wouldn't release a 5D Mark V.

90% of the job is done.

Body and shape : just re-use the Mark IV, it's perfect
Sensor and DIGIC : just re-use the R5
AF : just re-use the AF of the 1D X III or a "lighter" version of it

Done.

I'd gladly buy such a camera. Throw at it something unique such as a feature to get rid of this AF micro-adjustment thingy and it's a dream come true.
How much light goes to the AF sensor on a typical DSLR? What if you just ditched the separate AF module altogether and used the image sensor for AF, the 1DXIII already uses a CMOS sensor in place of the more traditional line sensor.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
This looks like the non L version. It would be a game changer if it would do f5.6 to 300mm (or more). A huge temptation for APS-C users to switch to full frame if the pricing is right.

I'm currently using a 70D and the 70-300mm. This would be the perfect combo upgrade (equivalent) for me with an R6 without breaking the bank.

Yes. Canon's strategy for what lower cost lenses they introduce seems to be precisely aimed at getting APS-C, and even Micro Four-Thirds, shooters to move to RF.

Upvote 0