What’s next from Canon?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
As with any rumor site, once products are announced the inevitable question is what’s next? I have some information about what’s next, but there is still some areas of the Canon lineup I don’t have much information about.
RF Lenses

RF 50mm f/1.8 IS STM
RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
RF 18-45mm IS STM
RF 100-400mm IS USM
RF 24mm f/2.8 IS STM Macro

I expect that both the RF 50mm f/1.8 IS STM and RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM will be announced in late August or early September, but I have not confirmed that as of yet.
The other 3 lenses are likely being held over to 2021.
There are other L lenses in the pipeline too, likely for late 2020 or early 2021.

RF Accessories
I am told a bunch of “cool” adapters for the RF mount are coming in 2020, I cannot clarify what the adapters are at this time.
EOS R Cameras
There is no other EOS R camera scheduled to be announced in 2020, as always, that can change.
I wouldn’t be shocked to see the lineup get an update to the EOS RP and a...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
I don't think a 5D MKV makes sense. If you look at Canon's history, when they developed EOS, they broke compatibility for all their previous lenses unlike Nikon, because they felt they had to, to move forward. Now Canon has had the same lens standard in full frame and crop while Nikon has had multiple compatibility issues. This is less drastic; you can adapt any EF lens to the RF mount with no performance or quality hit for a reasonably low cost. In other words, the R5 + mount adapter, for all intents and purposes, IS the 5D MKV, and whatever differences remain are so minor that they don't justify a new EF body - which is contrary to the interests of promoting the RF line, anyway.

Reactions: 15 users
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I'm sure Canon have a 5D Mark V design ready and waiting in case they decide to launch it, but I also suspect they're waiting to see how well the R5 does. If the R5 sells as well or better than the 5D IV did at launch then there's probably no point them launching the 5D V.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
As for the rumor, I am hoping some of the higher quality EFM lenses show up. Mostly I would be interested in a higher quality general purpose zoom that has been rumored. A fairly minimal request, but I am all set with EF lenses, am still on the fence as to if I will get the R5 as I am very happy with the 5DIV. But, there is a definite need in my "small" kit for higher quality lenses.

I'm going to be really bummed if Canon doesn't release a 5DV, so much so that I'm probably going to write an email to Canon USA.

The 1DX3 just doesn't have enough resolution for my needs and the R5 is probably going to be fairly inadequate for motorsports photography (especially karting).

I assume this is because of AF speed/tracking? Just curious what you have seen to make this conclusion? Everything I have seen indicates that the AF speed and precision is actually very good, surprisingly good, it seems.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Someone has to make the obvious remark: “cool” adapters or “cooling” adapters?
Now there's a good idea......

Pulls heat directly from the sensor, extracts only so no dust gets into the sensor. As long as you use EF glass (which all cinema lenses are) and sound is off camera so not to upset the soundies it makes for a very cool (literally) adapter to me.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I would think that with pre-sales of the R5 'exceeding expectations', it may be a bad sign for the 5DV. I think the 1DXIII was needed because of the Olympics, and the jump to the R series was too early for this year in terms of a 1R. They needed the proven reliability of the 1D line and weren't ready to give it over to the unproven R series. So the question is then - are they confident enough in the R5 to put all their eggs in that basket for the event/wedding photographer business? Or will there be one more EF iteration while the R5 proves itself?

Brian

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
I would think that with pre-sales of the R5 'exceeding expectations', it may be a bad sign for the 5DV. I think the 1DXIII was needed because of the Olympics, and the jump to the R series was too early for this year in terms of a 1R. They needed the proven reliability of the 1D line and weren't ready to give it over to the unproven R series. So the question is then - are they confident enough in the R5 to put all their eggs in that basket for the event/wedding photographer business? Or will there be one more EF iteration while the R5 proves itself?

Brian
Is anyone concerned that mirrorless camera wont be as rugged as their DSLR counterparts? I know 1DX3 is a tank but even 5DIV level.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
One thing that seems to be next is firmware updates for the R5. According to EOSHD Canon is already adding more options to the R5. CLOG3 will be great and so will lower 8K bitrates. If they can somehow get it down to 400Mb/s it might be useable from a storage standpoint.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

I think Canon will use the feedback from the R6 to fine-tune the firmware for the R1. Unless Canon goes with a Digic XI or a different sensor in the R1, the R6 is a nice test bed for all the features.

Upvote 0
I assume this is because of AF speed/tracking? Just curious what you have seen to make this conclusion? Everything I have seen indicates that the AF speed and precision is actually very good, surprisingly good, it seems.

I'm basing this off my experience with the EOS R. It's a lovely camera for people, but it's terrible for motorsports photography.

Upvote 0