What card speed for the Canon R5?

rawshooter

I'm New Here
Dec 19, 2014
Do I really need the fastest CFe card? I probably wont do 8k RAW but an occasional 40 120fps could be nice.

Are there other advantages like energy saving when going for the fastest available card?

Codebunny

EOS R1
Sep 5, 2018
The cards are all about the same 1700 read and 1200 write. The slowest card is also the smallest capacity with 64GB storage and 800 MB/s write. I would buy on capacity. That slow card isn't going to store a lot of footage so by default you'll get a faster card.

rawshooter

I'm New Here
Dec 19, 2014
No they are not there is the Sony Tough CFexpress Type-B that writes almost 1500 and there are cards that write 1000.

unfocused

EOS-1D X Mark III
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.mgordoncommunications.com
If you are shooting stills, then any card is going to be plenty fast. Of the two brands I trust, SanDisk and ProGrade, only SanDisk offers a 64GB card, but a ProGrade 128 isn't much more expensive.

At first, ProGrade was offering 120 GB cards that were a little slower and cheaper. I ordered some, but it was the 128 GB version that actually shipped. I consider 128 GB a pretty good compromise for stills -- plenty of storage but not ridiculously expensive.

Video is another matter and I believe elsewhere on this site there is a link to a Canon reference sheet that identifies cards for video. I seem to recall that ProGrade and SanDisk have higher level cards that Canon said were best for 8K. I'm sure someone will share that link.