What is Haze?

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Hi Folks.
I'm looking an older lens, the description says it has no fungus, but some haze, what is haze please?

Cheers, Graham.
Haze is usually when, over time, the lubricant in the lens has atomized (fumes) and leaves a film on the inner elements. If it were me, I would avoid that lens... unless you plan to take it apart and clean it. I collect vintage lenses. Sometimes haze can interfere with the image. Dust isn't a huge problem. Haze can be. Just my 2 cents. ;) When you get an old lens that has been advertised as no fungus or haze be sure to shine a bright light through it when you get it to make sure it isn't there. Fungus can be a huge problem as it will sometimes etch the glass. Haze doesn't always clean up either. Personally, I would not buy anything that admits to fungus or haze.

Be patient in your search. You'll pay more money for a good lens, but it is worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi CFB.
Thank you for that, I’ll pass on that one, new toy and itchy fingers, trying to work out whether to do hackery to convert to modern lens or buy a lens to suit the new toy!

Cheers, Graham.

Haze is usually when, over time, the lubricant in the lens has atomized (fumes) and leaves a film on the inner elements. If it were me, I would avoid that lens... unless you plan to take it apart and clean it. I collect vintage lenses. Sometimes haze can interfere with the image. Dust isn't a huge problem. Haze can be. Just my 2 cents. ;) When you get an old lens that has been advertised as no fungus or haze be sure to shine a bright light through it when you get it to make sure it isn't there. Fungus can be a huge problem as it will sometimes etch the glass. Haze doesn't always clean up either. Personally, I would not buy anything that admits to fungus or haze.

Be patient in your search. You'll pay more money for a good lens, but it is worth it.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Hi CFB.
Thank you for that, I’ll pass on that one, new toy and itchy fingers, trying to work out whether to do hackery to convert to modern lens or buy a lens to suit the new toy!

Cheers, Graham.
Those old lenses can be tempting. If I were starting anew, I'd go for one of the modern manual focus lenses. Currently trying to off load all my vintage MF lenses. I've discovered I really need AF at my age. ;)

Upvote 0