What lenses would you bring for this travel-trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all Canon-shooters! :)

I'm about to do a sort of a travel dream in october. Will be traveling to these places:
- Dubai
- Sydney
- Great barrier reef (compact with under water housing)
- New Zeeland

I'm going to bring a Canon 5D mk3 aswell as my compact camera.
Now I'm thinking of what lenses I should bring and if there is any lens that I should get for a trip like this.

Currently I have:
- Sigma 15mm fish eye
- Canon 16-35/2.8
- Canon 35/1.4
- Canon 50/1.8
- Canon 70-200/2.8 IS II
- Canon 85/1.2
- Canon 100/2.8 IS Macro
- Canon 135/2
- Canon 1.4x extender

When I want abroad to shoot last time I brought my 16-35, 50 and 135mm. it's a little complicated to switch lenses all the time when the sun is about to set.
That's why I've thought of getting perhaps the 24-105/4 to bring instead of only primes.

Since I'm going to shoot a lot of pictures with big tall buildings in Dubai I'm thinking that a Tilt Shift should be a good investment that I can continue to use later on. I've tried that 24 TS-E, but I'm thinking of the 17mm.

Just to clarify: I'm doing this trip mostly to shoot pictures for my portfolio and to get new clients, not so much tourist-shooting. So I'm aiming for pictures that clients (magazines, hotels, travel agency, real estates etc) will like and not so much for my own vacation album.

What whould you bring on a trip like this?
I'm thankful for all input! :)

Best regards
Fredrik

mwh1964

5D3
May 18, 2013
New York
A good travel kit would be 24-105/24-70 and the 70-300L perhaps complemented by your 35 f1.4. Using what you have I would probably take everything with me but carry only for the specific day. If you wanna slimline I would bring the 16-35, 35 f1.4, 70-200 + ex. Really no need for the 35-70 range. I did a 4 week dream trip to California bringing only a 35 f2 on a lightweight Fuji x100 and really didn't miss anything. So everything comes down to what you intend to shoot. Enjoy your trip and stay safe.

Upvote 0
mwh1964 said:
A good travel kit would be 24-105/24-70 and the 70-300L perhaps complemented by your 35 f1.4. Using what you have I would probably take everything with me but carry only for the specific day. If you wanna slimline I would bring the 16-35, 35 f1.4, 70-200 + ex. Really no need for the 35-70 range. I did a 4 week dream trip to California bringing only a 35 f2 on a lightweight Fuji x100 and really didn't miss anything. So everything comes down to what you intend to shoot. Enjoy your trip and stay safe.

Thank you for the input. I will only bring what I can carry in my bag all the time. I don't want to bring equipment that I leave in a car/at a hotel and that don't be used :)

Why do you think that I need the 35/1.4 if I already have the 16-35? Because it's sharper or I can use it in low light conditions? :)

I intend to shoot architecture, landscape, people, animals (macro) and some underwater dives :) Almost "everything". I'm not going to shoot birds/animals with a long tele though.

Best regards
Fredrik

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
My travel kit has devolved to 24-105 + 17- 40 + 70-200 + 1.4x. And, I am not always going to bring the 70-200 and 1.4 either. Depends on where I am going and why. When I go to Denali, I'll bring a lot more. But, I am happy walking around with just the 5Diii and 24-105 while having the 17-40 in my bag.

I may or may not bring the M with the 22 and the 40+adapter as my "stealthier primes" as well. But, with cropping and a camera that does well in hi-iso situations, you don't need as much as you'd think. I've learned this the hard way!

Sounds like an incredible trip.

Upvote 0
JPAZ said:
My travel kit has devolved to 24-105 + 17- 40 + 70-200 + 1.4x. And, I am not always going to bring the 70-200 and 1.4 either. Depends on where I am going and why. When I go to Denali, I'll bring a lot more. But, I am happy walking around with just the 5Diii and 24-105 while having the 17-40 in my bag.

I may or may not bring the M with the 22 and the 40+adapter as my "stealthier primes" as well. But, with cropping and a camera that does well in hi-iso situations, you don't need as much as you'd think. I've learned this the hard way!

Sounds like an incredible trip.

I think the trip till be awesome! :) Do you use these lenses on a crop-camera or did I read that wrong?
For traveling the 17-40 and 70-200/4L would do just fine.Then you don't need a prime lense with 2.8 :) But since I shoot weddings etc then I have to use faster lenses.

I want a portrait-lens to shoot with so 85/1.2 or 70-200/2.8L II IS would be nice to bring along.
Since I don't have the 24-105 :)
Or I can use the 100 macro for portraits.

Upvote 0
mw said:
I just got back from a 2 weeks trip to Paris, Venice, Rome, Florence, Monaco, and Nice. I was tempted to take as many lenses as I can, but ended up taking only 16-35 and 24-105 to go on my 5D3. I am glad I kept it light. I've got plenty of shots and happy with many of them. I would say I used the 24-105 90% of the time and 16-35 the rest.

Nice to hear! :) Sounds like a nice trip aswell. I've been in Venice and Rome. Very beautiful!
Were you there on vacation and walking around taking pictures just for the documentation of the nice trip or did you take the pictures for your portfolio/clients etc?

Upvote 0

jhpeterson

CR Pro
Feb 7, 2011
I don't know what your shooting style is like, but I would find most useful the 16-35 and the 70-200.
I carried these two lenses around (each on FF bodies) this past year on a three-week trip to the Middle East, and found that I used them for probably better than 90% of my photos.
You might also want to pack the 1.4 teleconverter for those times when you want some extra reach. My favorite lens is a 300, it's so incredibly sharp and I love the look it gives, but it only came out of the bag on rare occcasions, on average once, maybe twice a day.

Upvote 0

mwh1964

5D3
May 18, 2013
New York
fiend said:
mwh1964 said:

Thank you for the input. I will only bring what I can carry in my bag all the time. I don't want to bring equipment that I leave in a car/at a hotel and that don't be used :)

Why do you think that I need the 35/1.4 if I already have the 16-35? Because it's sharper or I can use it in low light conditions? :)

I intend to shoot architecture, landscape, people, animals (macro) and some underwater dives :) Almost "everything". I'm not going to shoot birds/animals with a long tele though.

Best regards
Fredrik

35 f1.4 for low light. I don't have that lens, but do often bring my 50 f1.4 or 28 f1.8 to complement the zooms. Also I find that sometimes it's useful to have a light prime on the camera and the tele in the bag for when I need it. But again the 24-105 is very competent for traveling and it does have IS and right now there seem to b many good deals on this particular lens out there.

Upvote 0
jhpeterson said:
I don't know what your shooting style is like, but I would find most useful the 16-35 and the 70-200.
I carried these two lenses around (each on FF bodies) this past year on a three-week trip to the Middle East, and found that I used them for probably better than 90% of my photos.
You might also want to pack the 1.4 teleconverter for those times when you want some extra reach. My favorite lens is a 300, it's so incredibly sharp and I love the look it gives, but it only came out of the bag on rare occcasions, on average once, maybe twice a day.

Well, I'm a little of a planer and I often try to take less photos.. but have them to be a little "better" then just shooting a lot of pictures to try and find a "goodie" among them later on :)
When I see something I like or I get an idea, then I take my time and shoot it. If I find a nice place but the light is bad, I can come back in a couple of hourse just to shoot that picture later on.

I'm thinking of creating a "storyboard" on my shoot to tell a kind of story with well planned (and unplanned) shots aswell :)

I don't have a 300mm - lens and I don't think I would bring it unless I know that I will have to use it some shots that I've planned. 70-200/2.8 with 1.4 would have to do the trick then :)

I hope I answered your question.

Upvote 0
mwh1964 said:
35 f1.4 for low light. I don't have that lens, but do often bring my 50 f1.4 or 28 f1.8 to complement the zooms. Also I find that sometimes it's useful to have a light prime on the camera and the tele in the bag for when I need it. But again the 24-105 is very competent for traveling and it does have IS and right now there seem to b many good deals on this particular lens out there.

The 35/1.4 isn't that large so I think it could fit in the camera bag. If I find place and a reason for it.. I will bring it with me :) I love that lens.. but I would also like to try the Sigma 35/1.4.

The 24-105/4L IS seems to be very nice lens for travel when you don't want to switch lenses that often. It is quite nice priced (bulk white package) for $1200 here in Sweden.

/Fredrik

Upvote 0
fugu82 said:
The 24-105 + 16-35 would be great, but see if you can find a corner of your bag for the 15mm fisheye also. It's really small, but such a fun lens!

Yes, the 15mm is very nice. Quite fun pictures that you can take with it :) And it's very small aswell so it might slip in there!

Anybody who have any ideas of a Tilt Shift Lens?
Canon 24/3.5 TS-E II
Canon 17/4 TS-E

Best regards
Fredrik

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
fiend said:
fugu82 said:
The 24-105 + 16-35 would be great, but see if you can find a corner of your bag for the 15mm fisheye also. It's really small, but such a fun lens!

Yes, the 15mm is very nice. Quite fun pictures that you can take with it :) And it's very small aswell so it might slip in there!

Canon 24/3.5 TS-E II
Canon 17/4 TS-E

Best regards
Fredrik

Regrettably, I don't own either one. But as a general rule, the 17mm if you're mostly shooting indoors, and/or the 24mm for outdoors. For myself, I would choose the 24. Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0
brad-man said:
fiend said:
fugu82 said:

Canon 24/3.5 TS-E II
Canon 17/4 TS-E

Best regards
Fredrik

Regrettably, I don't own either one. But as a general rule, the 17mm if you're mostly shooting indoors, and/or the 24mm for outdoors. For myself, I would choose the 24. Enjoy your trip!

If I say that the 17mm works with the 1.4 extender and then it becomes a 24mm TS-E / 5.6 if I'm not all wrong? :) then you get two Tilt Shift lenses in one?

Upvote 0

mw

Mar 25, 2012
fiend said:
mw said:
I just got back from a 2 weeks trip to Paris, Venice, Rome, Florence, Monaco, and Nice. I was tempted to take as many lenses as I can, but ended up taking only 16-35 and 24-105 to go on my 5D3. I am glad I kept it light. I've got plenty of shots and happy with many of them. I would say I used the 24-105 90% of the time and 16-35 the rest.

Nice to hear! :) Sounds like a nice trip aswell. I've been in Venice and Rome. Very beautiful!
Were you there on vacation and walking around taking pictures just for the documentation of the nice trip or did you take the pictures for your portfolio/clients etc?

I was on vacation and mainly taking pictures of whatever that were pleasing to the eyes. And there were plenty of that as you know.

Upvote 0
Etienne said:
I would take my 5DIII, 16-35, and 50 1.4
That's it. Keep it simple and light and you'll be more relaxed.

In your case, I would suggest : 5DIII, 16-35, and 100L macro
That kit will not slow you down and give you plenty of good shots. Although I'd be severely tempted to tuck the 35 1.4 in the bag

When I was in Norway earlier in spring I used my 16-35/2.8 in 99% of the photos (landscape).

In Side (Turkey) I used 16-35 in 40% of the shots, the 50/1.8 in 20% and the 135/2 in 40% (some with the 1.4x).

With the 16-35 I mostly used it in the 16mm or 35mm range.

Upvote 0
The TS-E 17 is better for tall buildings or for interior shots, but the TS-E 24 is more versatile for general landscapes and pano-stitching (especially if you have close foreground objects near the edges). It is harder to make 17mm panos interesting. Extenders can be used on them to give you more framing options but the TS-24 will be sharper and faster than the TS-E 17 + 1.4x. In your case, I can see the TS-E 17 being more useful for the trip, but how much would you use it after? Is it worth renting it for the trip or buying it and possibly selling it in the future?

Are you going to be bringing a tripod? If not, then I'd avoid the TS-Es for now. Shooting handheld with shift is easy enough, but to get the best results, you'll want to shoot at ISO 100 and take mulitple exposures to blend later, which will give you the most leeway when post-processing them later.

+1 on the fisheye. Defished or not, it would give you creative options in urban landscapes.

If I were you, I'd take the
fisheye
16-35
ts-e 17
1.4x for both the ts-e and 135
tripod

The 135 would be the least used, and the 16-35 and the 50 the most used.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.