What light weight backpack should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vivid Color

CR Pro
Dec 7, 2012
I know backpacks have been dealt with in the column, but I haven't seen a lot discussions about light weight ones. I'm planning to go on a photo safari in Tanzania and at a key point in the trip, for an interior flight, my total combined luggage must weigh no more than 33 pounds. Many backpacks would take up a third of that weight alone. I have a vest and can put some things in that, but obviously not everything.

Gear I plan to take: 6D and T1i bodies, chargers and 2 batteries each, Canon 70-300L and 24-105L and maybe 40mm, Tamron 18-270, maybe the Kenko 1.4x TC, adaptor plugs, and lots of SD cards. I'll also take my iPhone and maybe my iPad, but I may leave that at home. I figure this gear alone will take up over a third of my weight limit so the backpack I get must be light but capable of safely transporting my gear.

I'm thinking of getting one of the Gura Gear backpacks--I read the reviews on these bags on this and other sites and they sound great but I'd like to know 1) have any of your first hand experience with one of their packs and what are your thoughts on them, and 2) are there other light weight backpacks I should consider?

Thoughts on my gear list given the 33 pound limit are also appreciated. (I'll be traveling solo so I can't divide things up with anyone.) Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.