What resolution can we get when 35 mm film is developed and scanned by a professional lab?

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Some swear by this method. It takes a bit to set up a good sturdy copystand to get repeatable results, but it can go very fast once you dial it in. But you lose Digital ICE (infrared scan) to clean up the image so I opted for the scanner. I get great results with my macro lenses at f5.6 or f/8. Haven't tried the R6 for this yet, but the M series was easy to manually focus with the magnified viewfinder.
For grins I tried using my iPad as a light box and shot slides with my 100mm macro. Results were not bad. It is easier to use the slide scanner, and VuScan gives a lot of scanning options.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
"I often wondered how much the curvature was caused by heat from the lamp"
dcm, the curling of the negative is cause by the negative mount of the V600, both mounts are doing the same thing. The negatives are straight before and after putting in the mount. But they are curled slightly in the mount, even before scanning. so the heat of the light got nothing to do with the curling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
I did more scanning on negatives. Some are really curled to a point that it causes Newton Ring with the scanning platform. So are twisted and bended so bad that I have to try very hard to get it into the negative carrier. But suprisingly, these two groups of negative are still sharp through out the whole neagatve. Epson must have pull some "black magic" on their scanner. Can anybody shine some light on this???

Upvote 0