What to fill sandbags up with.....besides sand?

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Hi all,

Ok, I just got my first pair of C-Stands and I have some sand bangs for them....

Thing is, I'm guessing there's better things to fill them up with besides sand? Something less messy if it breaks or leaks...maybe something denser, more weight per volume?

What do ya'll use? Marbles? BB'es maybe?

What do ya'll use besides sand in your sand bags for keeping stands stable?

Do ya'll have favorite brands of sand bags themselves....good, heavy duty?

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

I just buy a bag of pea gravel at a place like Home Depot. Then, I put the gravel in a good plastic bag before putting it in my sand bag (the gravel is often dirty when it comes out of the original bag). The StudioFX sandbags that Amazon sells are pretty heavy-duty, and about $16 for four. They are pretty large, but--of course--you don't have to fill them all the way.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Cayenne.
What about polystyrene beads, :unsure::unsure: much easier to carry and they conform to the shape of a lens better when used as a support!
Oh not that type of bean bag! :oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sorry feeling silly at the moment and couldn’t resist!
For out and about I do like the idea of the fill it on site and leave it behind when your done options, we carry enough weight around without heavy bags of, well, weight!

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Hi Cayenne.
What about polystyrene beads, :unsure::unsure: much easier to carry and they conform to the shape of a lens better when used as a support!
Oh not that type of bean bag! :oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sorry feeling silly at the moment and couldn’t resist!
For out and about I do like the idea of the fill it on site and leave it behind when your done options, we carry enough weight around without heavy bags of, well, weight!

Cheers, Graham.

Hmm...something to be said about the 'fill on site' thing...hmm.
Well, for right now, this is just for stands in my home studio, BUT....I do want to think also for the future for outdoor shoots, and you really need ballast out there, even in mild to no wind....

cayenne

Upvote 0