What Will Canon Be Bringing to NAB 2017?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
All indications are telling us that this is going to be a quiet year for Canon at NAB 2017 this April in Las Vegas, Nevada.</p>
<p><strong>C series cameras?</strong></p>
<p>We don’t expect to see a new C series camera announced ahead of NAB, though we do expect to see some kind of replacement for the C100 Mark II in 2017. One suggestion we’ve received is that it won’t be called a “C100 Mark III”. We do think it’s logical that we’ll see a “baby C300 Mark II”.</p>
<p><strong>Cinema lenses?</strong></p>
<p>We’re told to expect at least one new lens for NAB. We’ve seen <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/patent-cinema-eos-37-5-100mm-t3-3-anamorphic-lens/">patents in the past for the an anamorphic lens</a> and the new Cinema EOS C700 supports those types of lenses. The other possibility is a prime lens longer than 135mm.</p>
<p><strong>New DSLR?</strong></p>
<p>We do not expect to see a DSLR announced for NAB.</p>
<p><strong>Other technology?</strong></p>
<p>We’ll likely see more 8K demonstrations from Canon such as camera prototypes, displays, workflows and those sorts of things.</p>
<p><strong>What about a ME20F-SH Mark II?</strong></p>
<p>We can’t imagine they’ve sold too many of these ISO 4,560,000 boxes to warrant a Mark II version quite yet, but you never know.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Overall price reduction for "current" models may be all we can hope for from Canon at NAB 2017.

I do think the 1DC is way overdue for an update, but I'm not sure if NAB will be the place to release, and if they do I'm not sure the typical Canon price tag will be received very well if it's just a refreshed camera. The original was WAY overpriced when it was first released and still about $1K-$2K more than it "should" be for broader audience appeal. If we continue to see price slashes, it may be a decent indication of something newer coming.

I'd love to see a 6DMk2 that blends a 70D/80D screen with many 5D4 features for around $2K with 4K shooting (in some variety) and 120fps 1080HD. May be wishful thinking, but that would be an almost instant pickup for a "B" camera to a 5D4 or could sell a 5D4 and pickup two of them.

Upvote 0

Tuke

puɐןuıɟ
May 8, 2015
ıʞuısןǝɥ
I only wish that they would announce the Canon EF 24-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS STM That would be sweet for my C100II.

"Another patent for a full frame superzoom has appeared from Canon. We’ve written about the development of such a lens a few times since May of 2015, most recently November 2015, and we continue to see more patents for such a lens."

Or the Canon EF-S 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Even better althought not as sharp as the L version.

"We’re told that Canon will replace the EF-S 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 IS with a new version soon, and it will come as an EF-S 18-300 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM. This lens has been rumoured for a while now."

And of course new firmware with abitily to move focus freely on C100II, like on the C300II.

"On the original EOS C100 and C300, the area in which the camera could auto focus to was fixed to the center of the frame. This was acceptable for event videographers and some interview scenarios, but it was limiting when moving into narrative filmmaking. ow with the EOS C300 Mark II, the focus point can be moved anywhere within approximately 80% of the frame, which for all intents and purposes, is the entire frame. The joystick found on the back of the camera, handle unit, and monitor unit, all can move the focus point around the screen much like a video game. Framing to the right thirds? Click, click, click; the camera will now focus on whatever is in the upper right thirds of your frame."

Upvote 0
Tuke said:
I only wish that they would announce the Canon EF 24-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS STM That would be sweet for my C100II.

"Another patent for a full frame superzoom has appeared from Canon. We’ve written about the development of such a lens a few times since May of 2015, most recently November 2015, and we continue to see more patents for such a lens."

Or the Canon EF-S 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Even better althought not as sharp as the L version.

And of course new firmware with abitily to move focus freely on C100II, like on the C300II.
There is some demand for an EF 24-200mm STM much lighter and cheaper than the 28-300L.
However, it is far more likely that we will see an EF-S 18-300mm, which appeals to a much larger audience.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
bsbeamer said:
Overall price reduction for "current" models may be all we can hope for from Canon at NAB 2017.

I do think the 1DC is way overdue for an update, but I'm not sure if NAB will be the place to release, and if they do I'm not sure the typical Canon price tag will be received very well if it's just a refreshed camera. The original was WAY overpriced when it was first released and still about $1K-$2K more than it "should" be for broader audience appeal. If we continue to see price slashes, it may be a decent indication of something newer coming.

I've said for years that there will never be a direct replacement for the 1DC. It was a "stop-gap" camera to begin with. I'm not saying it didn't have it's uses and people didn't produce beautiful images with it, but... I'll be shocked if a "1DC mkII" ever hits the market.

Talking with one of my sales reps a few weeks ago, no one is thinking that this is going to be a "camera year" at NAB. I would like to see a new longer cine prime, though. I've also said I'd like to see Canon do a Cine 70-200, but not at $20K like the Zeiss 70-200 CZ.2.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Canon Rumors said:
All indications are telling us that this is going to be a quiet year for Canon at NAB 2017 this April in Las Vegas, Nevada.</p>
<p><strong>C series cameras?</strong></p>
<p>We don’t expect to see a new C series camera announced ahead of NAB, though we do expect to see some kind of replacement for the C100 Mark II in 2017. One suggestion we’ve received is that it won’t be called a “C100 Mark III”. We do think it’s logical that we’ll see a “baby C300 Mark II”.</p>
<p><strong>Cinema lenses?</strong></p>
<p>We’re told to expect at least one new lens for NAB. We’ve seen <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/patent-cinema-eos-37-5-100mm-t3-3-anamorphic-lens/">patents in the past for the an anamorphic lens</a> and the new Cinema EOS C700 supports those types of lenses. The other possibility is a prime lens longer than 135mm.</p>
<p><strong>New DSLR?</strong></p>
<p>We do not expect to see a DSLR announced for NAB.</p>
<p><strong>Other technology?</strong></p>
<p>We’ll likely see more 8K demonstrations from Canon such as camera prototypes, displays, workflows and those sorts of things.</p>
<p><strong>What about a ME20F-SH Mark II?</strong></p>
<p>We can’t imagine they’ve sold too many of these ISO 4,560,000 boxes to warrant a Mark II version quite yet, but you never know.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
In film production many are expecting to see a 24x36mm sensor version of the C700. Super 35 doesn't cut-it for visual effects in the same way as either the Red Weapon, Arri Alexa 65 or the Panavision DXL.

Upvote 0
RunAndGun said:
Talking with one of my sales reps a few weeks ago, no one is thinking that this is going to be a "camera year" at NAB. I would like to see a new longer cine prime, though. I've also said I'd like to see Canon do a Cine 70-200, but not at $20K like the Zeiss 70-200 CZ.2.

If that was opened up a little wider to a 50-200 or 24-200 and reasonably priced, I think it would have wide adoption and popularity for the non-Hollywood budget users. For that versatility, I think many would be willing to sacrifice an F/T stop to around F4 throughout if priced well. Doubt we'll see it happen, but I do think there's a market for it.

Upvote 0
ajfotofilmagem said:
There is some demand for an EF 24-200mm STM much lighter and cheaper than the 28-300L.
However, it is far more likely that we will see an EF-S 18-300mm, which appeals to a much larger audience.

LonelyBoy said:
Oh a 24-200+ IS STM would be wonderful. What would they price such a thing at?

The closest to a full frame zoom like this (non-L style) that I'm aware of is the Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD for about $850. Is this an ideal cinema lens? No. Would this work for ENG style work on a cinema body? Maybe. If this were a Canon lens with STM, maybe around the $900-$1000 mark depending on aperture?

They also make a Tamron 16-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD MACRO for crop sensors for $500-$650. If this were a Canon with STM, maybe around $750-$800 depending on aperture?

Upvote 0
LonelyBoy said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
Without the "L" treatment a 24-200mm F3.5-5.6 could cost less than $ 1000.

That'd be the ideal format (for me) and ideal: just a FF equivalent of the 18-135 IS STM (ok, a bit wider) for times you don't know what you're shooting or don't want to be switching lenses.

I believe that was the intent with the EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, but it just does not have the extended reach to be useful enough on a full frame for my needs. I'm OK making sacrifices for this type of "all purpose" lens, but 105 at F5.6 does not really make sense when many are still carrying a 70-200 F2.8 in their kit.

Upvote 0

ajm

Live, Shoot, Edit, Repeat
Aug 25, 2016
For any of you C300 Mk II users/owners as I am, do you think or hope or want a firmware update near or at NAB 2017 that will include 4k 60p? In DCI or UHD...either would be nice. That is my hope. Got to keep up with the competition at this point. I believe it would helps sales also. If the camera can write 4K footage to a Cfast card, write proxies to an SD card and simutainiously send out SDI signal to an external monitor or recorder, it can do 4K 60p! C'mon Canon!

Attachments

• IMG_0877 copy.JPG
    IMG_0877 copy.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 233
Upvote 0