what's your favorite lens for shooting video?

By far, my most used Lens for Video is the Canon EF50mm 1.4 USM, partly 'cause it's been my only lens for quite a while besides the old kit lens (which is completely unusable for video). The Focus ring travels quite a distance, it feels like almost 180˚. This is my first choice indoors with low light.

Second is the 24-105L. I don't own it, but I rented it several times for video projects. It's been a good versatile lens due to its wide range of focal lengths, and IS. For now, I'm trying out the 17-55 2.8 IS on a Crop body.

With a good tripod the 70-200 2.8 L IS is my absolute favorite lens - both video and stills. The focus ring is smooth as butter, there is enough travel to focus accurately. For planned shots, the focus ring is also wide enough to stick a tape on it and on the barrel in front of it for focus marks while still having enough of the ring for grabbing the rubber.

Upvote 0
S

scottsdaleriots

im studying photography and for one of my classes we have to create short clip about something and presnt to to the class. i wanted to use a 50 (probably the 1.4 or even 1.2L) but i got out voted 2 to 1 by the two guys in my group so now we're shooting with a 24-70.

if i was making a video that wasnt for school i'd stick to wide angle primes, if need i'd use zooms as well

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
capertillar said:
just wondering what lens' other people like using for shooting video...

I usually run a 3 camera setup for recording live music. Main cam is a 5DII/14L II, 7D/35L or 50L on rig, 5DII/85LII or 135L on fluid head.

I probably use the 50L and 85L the most overall. 16-35 gets a decent amount of use as well, but I definitely prefer primes.

Upvote 0
I’ve been using the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS for documentaries – especially when I find it difficult to predict which situations I’ll end up in, and the 50mm f/1.8 and f/1.4 for interviews and low light conditions. Because of the autofocus issues when filming with a DSLR, I also use some prime Olympus OM-lenses. They are often very sharp and have great focus rings.

Upvote 0
Axilrod said:
Considering the ergonomics of a DSLR, you shouldn't be shooting handheld at all.
Really? You can shoot just fine handheld depending on what lens you're using. 200mm? Hell no. Wide angle? Sure.
I shoot handheld with a 17-55 2.8 IS all the time. Granted, that's also with a Zacuto Z-finder but the footage is just fine.

SpareImp said:
I’ve been using the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS for documentaries ...
I always advise people using DSLR for video to avoid the lenses that don't have a fixed aperture wide open. When you cross the zoom point where that aperture's max goes from 3.5 to 5.6 the lens will blink, or flash. This happens even if you're not wide open, but say at f8.
If that lens is all you got, then it'll have to do. Just beware of zooming while recording.

Upvote 0