Where to send and Scan Slides ?

As most of us have gone primarily digital, and have from the past lots of slides - would like to know the best place to send a lot of slides and have them scanned. I do not have a good, scanner, and don't want to buy one just for these - nor the time to scan.

Anyone know a good place to send a couple hundred (at least) slides for scanning at a reasonable price. Thx

As with most things, you get what you pay for. Which means if you want "reasonable price" (as you say), they are going to be low res scans. Of course this may be fine for your purposes. Just be aware that cheap scans will be good for screen use and for 4x6 inch prints, but not for big prints. That still might be a good way to go if you just want to look at them. If you see a couple you really want to enlarge you could reorder higher quality (more expensive) scans of those.

I worked for two decades at a small but very good independent photo lab in Arizona. It is preferable to deal directly with a lab you can walk into, if you have one in your area. If not, I imagine all the big national labs offer this service (though I have not checked myself). The big names are Bay Photo, White House Color, plus the big camera stores like Adorama, Samys, BandH. If you have nothing local and you want to deal with a small lab where you will get personal attention, you can check my former employer: http://jonesphoto.com/ .

The discount stores like Costco and Walgreens used to offer it as an outlab service but I am not sure they still do. Personally I would be afraid to do this because I have heard first-hand accounts of people's slides getting lost because of the volume of orders they ship out.

Upvote 0