Which viewing mode is your screen set at?

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I am no technical genius, and pretty much ignorant of a lot. I have been using my monitor (ASUS) in scenery mode for years. Today I accidentally bumped a spot under the edge of my monitor and switched it to sRGB. The photos look terrible (huge loss in saturation and contrast). Of course, I switched back to scenery mode.

Which mode should I be using in post? Should it be sRGB since that is my workspace in LR and PS?

Hi CanonFanBoy. I am not expert in this but I think all the preset modes, including the one labeled sRGB, are always off from the actual color settings the monitor can provide and by passage of time they drift anyway. For edit/view purpose, I think, you can use "standard" mode and then use a color calibration tool to find accurate color settings the monitor can provide at the time of calibration. The color calibration tool produces a custom ICC profile and you should use that as the "default profile" on your monitor. Needless to say that this process should be repeated every 4-6 months to account for the aging and color drift, so better name the profile something that you can remember which one is the current version.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Agreed, if you take your photography even semi seriously then even a cheap monitor profiler is a must. They come up on eBay all the time but new ones are under $200 and X-Rite do pretty good promotions that push that price down to around $150 once or twice a year.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I am no technical genius, and pretty much ignorant of a lot. I have been using my monitor (ASUS) in scenery mode for years. Today I accidentally bumped a spot under the edge of my monitor and switched it to sRGB. The photos look terrible (huge loss in saturation and contrast). Of course, I switched back to scenery mode.

Which mode should I be using in post? Should it be sRGB since that is my workspace in LR and PS?
As the others have said, it's time for some screen calibration.

I recommend the SpyderX Pro for most people, it's fast, accurate, and easy to use.

Upvote 0