Who's still hanging in?

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I suppose your situation can be likened to owning a sportscar for running around town and maybe road trips, and a big pickup for snowy days or days you have to haul a lot more than just a couple of bags of groceries. Something in between will do both jobs, but not as well. (But if you can only afford one car...)
Yes, very much first world type problems :)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
For me, the M system is just perfect. I can slip a M100 + 22 in my jacket and get awesome candids, or I can mount my 70-300is ii on my M6ii and track my son playing football.
I own a lot of canon gear, last count 96 canon lenses and 22 canon bodies, at least a dozen speedlites, adapters, converters, speedboosters, etc etc
It’s all pretty much interchangeable. I’m always experimenting with different combinations. Then I have my iPhone too.
I really don’t need to go R
My flappers and M system is more than I could ever have dreamed of.

For some reason the R hasn’t inspired me one iota. Maybe it’s the way canon has forced it upon us, removed all the alternatives. I don’t care much for that strategy, just makes me dig my heels in deeper. Lol

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Rockskipper

Somewhere skipping rocks and taking photos
Apr 20, 2017
I have my old M5 and a bunch of M lenses and it's my go-to for about everything. I LOVE that system. Sold my 6DII and also have an RP, but prefer the M5. Had an R6 but sold it, also the R100-500 lens. Just didn't like carrying them as well.I like the way the camera is so unobtrusive that I can get shots w/o being so noticed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
i hope Canon will recreate the eos m line to maybe vlogging camera or beginner camera. just dont stop it. Canon is not capable in making competitive camera in these segments, terrible in size, range of lens, and price. Eos -M is the way out.
Exactly, the "MV" line M for vlogging, small size and weight and MILC. Not sure if they really care to compete on the low end, the R100 perhaps but no rumours on inexpensive lenses. Several posts here on the M6ii being their favorite small intrigues me. I also wonder if the G7x is the end of the Powershot line? The specs are great F1.8-2.8. I just shot a bunch with a used 12mpx SX510HS I bought a couple weeks ago, and the details in enlarging are not good. For web only snapshots, its fine and a $65 bargain. I have no access to see or buy M5, M100, M200 but sure like that size. I just noticed that Xiomini has a hybrid smartphone with removable Leica lens, interesting they would do that.

I have my old M5 and a bunch of M lenses and it's my go-to for about everything. I LOVE that system. Sold my 6DII and also have an RP, but prefer the M5. Had an R6 but sold it, also the R100-500 lens. Just didn't like carrying them as well.I like the way the camera is so unobtrusive that I can get shots w/o being so noticed.
There you go, R6 is gone I see why the excitement and why pro's need it and get into that for pro applications obviously. But the small size that's the same thinking I have and even with pocket cameras always not drawing attention, which if you travel alone or with someone not in a group in cities you can become a target. Another reason a smartphone works, but lower resolution. I have an continued hobby and interest in going into pretty questionable areas, so very cognizant of discretion as well as respect not to take photos of certain situations. Not a landscape up at dawn shot ever for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Rockskipper

Somewhere skipping rocks and taking photos
Apr 20, 2017
The other thing I like about the M system is it's not as big of a hit if it is stolen. I recently had a resort rental I was staying in robbed. I fortunately only lost some checks and they caught the guy the same day, but I would feel really bad if I had really expensive equipment stolen. I can replace my M5 (used only, of course, as Canon no longer makes it) and lenses for probably under 1k.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
The other thing I like about the M system is it's not as big of a hit if it is stolen. I recently had a resort rental I was staying in robbed. I fortunately only lost some checks and they caught the guy the same day, but I would feel really bad if I had really expensive equipment stolen. I can replace my M5 (used only, of course, as Canon no longer makes it) and lenses for probably under 1k.
I stopped traveling with full frame Canon cameras after dining in a cafe in Italy. Watched a theft get stopped. My wife then brought up the time she was pickpocketed in Milan. As this was going on, I had a 5D Mark IV with a EF 24-105 on the table with a nifty 50mm and 16-35 f/4L in a camera bag by my feet. I realized it was a major mistake for me to travel with these pieces of gear. I never traveled out of country with them again and went Canon M…and eventually Fuji.

Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
I stopped traveling with full frame Canon cameras after dining in a cafe in Italy. Watched a theft get stopped. My wife then brought up the time she was pickpocketed in Milan. As this was going on, I had a 5D Mark IV with a EF 24-105 on the table with a nifty 50mm and 16-35 f/4L in a camera bag by my feet. I realized it was a major mistake for me to travel with these pieces of gear. I never traveled out of country with them again and went Canon M…and eventually Fuji.
I have been pick pocketed successfully only once fortunately on a cable car in Lisbon, all photos safely backed up on the cloud. Another time I had a Android phone playing music in the front basket of a rented bicycle in Cádiz during Semana Santa, just sitting in the middle of a crowded plaza, turned my head and music volume faded and decreased so jumped off the bike and ran after the guy who stole it and extracted it from his pocket. There were crowds of people watching so he couldn't do anything.

Years back in 80's in Buenos Aires, I screwed up and left my $2500 kit of 35mm SLR and all lens in a dark fanny pack next to me in a dark cab at night. I had no money then, so it was a huge loss. Now I always hold onto bags. It happened, all because of distraction with a rip off taxi fare argument, but 10 rolls of exposed film kept safe in my hotel. I have used Amazon's cloud for the phone cameras too. It's awful to lose your camera, but worse to lose your entire vacations photos. So I stuck with pocket cameras until recently and looking for another one, as I carry it daily and it always goes in my front pocket or backpack. My plans for my MILC's I need to carry in non-descript bags or backpacks.

Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
I store my camera gear in beat-up trash bags when I have to leave it in my car.
Funny you mention that practical tip, I did business in cash only auctions years ago and a fellow buyer I knew had a beat up old truck, wore torn up clothes and had his office and storage in worst part of town. He kept his gun and piles of $100's in brown paper or McDonald's sacks under his bench seat. He was never robbed and I learned from that, when waltzing around the developing world, I always dress down and never look like a tourist or talk.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
FWIW, This sort of news is just bad. Just reading a forum thread of M owners on another well known site, and Canon is refusing to service the M6mkii. Trade in only. Not sure of rules here so don't want to post link to another forum.
Why is that a concern? Could simply be a technical issue, cheaper to swap than repair, and then factory-refurbish the unit and re-sell it.

Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
Why is that a concern? Could simply be a technical issue, cheaper to swap than repair, and then factory-refurbish the unit and re-sell it.
This forum has been valuable for making buying decisions in my short 6 months of reading. This almost seems similar to Computer industry and Apple, the built in obsolescence business model. Am I wrong? All Apple stuff worked great for 5-6 years but has broken, which I feel is crazy. Apple refused OS upgrades, so "just buy a new one" is b.s. I will repair and I figured work arounds, external keyboards, external boot hard drive to Linux, etc. Same with major label laptops, they force you to buy latest. Cameras I can't tear apart myself. I didn't think this 5 year lifespan ideology of not supporting products longer than 5 years was going to infect the camera market. Glad I didn't buy one of those R10 or R7's or M6mk2 refurbs, and a new M50 instead.

If you are in the USA, likely easy still to do swap. So up until 2004 I had nothing break or need repair, I had 25 computers and no Board or even HDD failures. But buying things since 2004, a different story as QC and MTBF seems to have shifted.

I now am not in the USA. Many things I buy in tech, name brand die in 5 years. So it is difficult to get service without major hassle of travel and parts are not stocked. No efficient shipping expensive things in country either. If no local repair parts support, not cost effective to send back and forth to USA and hassle with all import paperwork and shipping costs. I have been somewhat unlucky with Amazon sending the wrong stuff or defective stuff too, or things being stolen in transit, worse is high import and handling fees. But at least Amazon, they made it right.

Until reading here and watching videos, I wasn't aware of lens manufacturing inconsistencies, "getting a bad copy", no idea how true or how often but surprises me with CNC everything now. In my past I sold optical products and my OEM was very consistent in lenses and QC and I did my own QC before shipping to protect my customers. There is no try before you buy or rental where I am either, so I have rely on your input and others for tips, info, etc. All is appreciated.

So, I try and buy locally new (same price as USA and they import) and usually brand name stuff and this camera hobby is getting expensive and I am bothered by the M mount extinction. Several of you mentioned how much you like the M6mk2, and so thought about ordered it from Canon until I read what I did. Locally, the distributor sold out- no more M6 or 90D's and seem to favor MILC Sony products as the buying public in their sales volume.

Upvote 0
Exactly, the "MV" line M for vlogging, small size and weight and MILC. Not sure if they really care to compete on the low end, the R100 perhaps but no rumours on inexpensive lenses. Several posts here on the M6ii being their favorite small intrigues me. I also wonder if the G7x is the end of the Powershot line? The specs are great F1.8-2.8. I just shot a bunch with a used 12mpx SX510HS I bought a couple weeks ago, and the details in enlarging are not good. For web only snapshots, its fine and a $65 bargain. I have no access to see or buy M5, M100, M200 but sure like that size. I just noticed that Xiomini has a hybrid smartphone with removable Leica lens, interesting they would do that.

There you go, R6 is gone I see why the excitement and why pro's need it and get into that for pro applications obviously. But the small size that's the same thinking I have and even with pocket cameras always not drawing attention, which if you travel alone or with someone not in a group in cities you can become a target. Another reason a smartphone works, but lower resolution. I have an continued hobby and interest in going into pretty questionable areas, so very cognizant of discretion as well as respect not to take photos of certain situations. Not a landscape up at dawn shot ever for me.
the sensor size is too small for that smartphone. not very appealing to me at all tho its a nice try.

Upvote 0