Who's still hanging in?

speg

-hetti
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
Sold some old gear earlier this year and grabbed an M50. I have a little bit of buyer's remorse. Should probably go just bite the bullet and go full frame, especially with the Rp and rumored budget model for next year.

I haven't bought any additional lenses yet, so I'm not invested in EF-M but that will probably have to change by the time holiday season rolls around.

What to do?

I think full frame would do me better due to lots of low light family shots. I'm also not in love with the ergonomics of the M50, it's a bit on the small side and a larger body would suit me better. I'd love one more dial too. Those RF lenses are so dang expensive though!

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I think full frame would do me better due to lots of low light family shots.

This is something I see a lot--claims that full frame is better because it has "more light." I can't make sense of that one; sure more light hits the sensor BUT the sensor is also larger so it's a wash. Unless, of course you're alluding to larger pixel size...which is a whole different argument to get into, and I'll let others do that.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
My pure speculation is that in about 6 months the used market for EOS R and RP plus kit RF glass will see a pretty big price drop. Once the R5 and R6 are shipping in more reliable quantities those that want the speed of the new bodies will be getting those and offloading their R's and RP's and those that were forced to buy the kit of the R5 and R6 will be offloading the kit lens.

All that said to say that I think the entry point for the RF system will be getting a little easier to swallow in the near future.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
My pure speculation is that in about 6 months the used market for EOS R and RP plus kit RF glass will see a pretty big price drop. Once the R5 and R6 are shipping in more reliable quantities those that want the speed of the new bodies will be getting those and offloading their R's and RP's and those that were forced to buy the kit of the R5 and R6 will be offloading the kit lens.

All that said to say that I think the entry point for the RF system will be getting a little easier to swallow in the near future.

I agree.
AND...it isn't like you have to jump right in to $$$ RF lenses.....EF lenses are plentiful and eventually will be dropping in price some, so with the EF/RF adapter he could start on a FF body as you suggested and get some good glass (EF) right off to bat and then save up for RF glass, as it becomes somewhat more reasonable over time....

Just my $0.02,

cayenne

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
This is something I see a lot--claims that full frame is better because it has "more light." I can't make sense of that one; sure more light hits the sensor BUT the sensor is also larger so it's a wash. Unless, of course you're alluding to larger pixel size...which is a whole different argument to get into, and I'll let others do that.
If you have the image taking up the whole of, say, an APS-C sensor and of a whole FF sensor and the same f-number lens on each, then what you say is correct for the signal/noise on the sensor. But, when it comes to printing or viewing the image, you have to enlarge the APS-C image 1.6x1.6 more to get the same size final image, and that's where you amplify the noise from the smaller sensor. All the results for S/N, DR etc you see on sites like photonstophotos.net come from enlarging the images to the same final size, which is why APS-C and m4/3 are worse than FF.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Steve, I know some people have other thoughts on this article but the truth is it explains the concept of differences between sensor sizes very well, and it seems to me you'd find it interesting.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Sold some old gear earlier this year and grabbed an M50. I have a little bit of buyer's remorse. Should probably go just bite the bullet and go full frame, especially with the Rp and rumored budget model for next year.

I haven't bought any additional lenses yet, so I'm not invested in EF-M but that will probably have to change by the time holiday season rolls around.

What to do?

I think full frame would do me better due to lots of low light family shots. I'm also not in love with the ergonomics of the M50, it's a bit on the small side and a larger body would suit me better. I'd love one more dial too. Those RF lenses are so dang expensive though!

If your not a gear-head and are mainly interested in getting good shots - especially family shots, then there a lot of really inexpensive used Canon lenses out there. Some are older and don't have IS, but for less than $150 you can get a Canon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 or Canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5. I've owned them both and they work just fine. Even used copies of the EF 24-105mm 3.5-5.6 IS STM can be bought for around $300, and the EF 24-105mm f/4 IS for around $450 on Ebay. With the RP (or any R series camera) you'll need the adapter, of course, but there are a lot of really good lens choices out there from over 30 years of EF lens design. Once you have the adapter (hard to come by at the moment) you'll find there is little reason to spend a lot for new RF lenses.

Upvote 0

PCM-madison

CR Pro
Dec 9, 2013
I really wanted to embrace the EOS M system. I do lots of things where small and light is good (hiking, backpacking, etc). I bought the original M. I found it lacking as an everyday camera is several respects. I converted it to IR, and it serves that niche well for me currently. I also got the M5. It was much improved over the original M, but still lacking in many respects. I still own it but use it rarely. My everyday camera remains a Canon Full Frame DSLR. It just does so many things I need extremely well. I bought an RP as a travel camera. I am very happy with it, and it is much more satisfying than my M system cameras have been. It's not quite compelling enough for me to abandon my DSLR for day to day needs. From what I've read, the R5 could probably get me to give up my DSLR, but the cost is pretty daunting. Photo is Morgan Falls from a backpacking trip where my only camera and lens were the RP + RF 24-240 IS.Morgan Falls 01 L sm.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

What to do?

It's hard to beat the EF-M 32mm f/1.4 and EF-M 22mm f/2 for low light family shots, the downside of the M50 is that it doesn't allow eye-AF in servo mode.
I have both the M6II and RP, M6II gets used the most for family pics, since its AF can track my 2yo and 4yo, the RP needs to have a good day to track them. I replaced my M50 with the M6II because I loathed the EVF and wanted eye-AF in servo. I do miss the tilty-flippy screen!

Upvote 0

speg

-hetti
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
Good input all around. One thing I forgot to mention is the possibility of telephoto lenses in the future for kids soccer and baseball games or whatnot.

I think what I will do is this: get the adapter so I can use my nifty fifty that I held onto, as well another new EF lens to get me through the holiday season. Then if I do decide to go full frame next product cycle, at least I'll be able to bring the EF lenses over.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013

Just hope we see some RF lens Black Friday promos this yr. You know, the annual promo that makes it impossible to keep your credit card in your wallet. Are you listening B&H, Adorama et all???? We all know it will be some time before we see any substantial price concessions on the R5 or R6 but holiday season this year just might afford an opportunity to pick up some R and RP bodies, along with RF glass at reasonable prices. Just hope my credit cards don't overheat when filling up the cart with the latter.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
I am hanging in with the M system (M50, M and M2)and 4 EF-M lenses. They are good enough for me. It is a good compromise for performance, size, weight and cost. Also it hold up very well, even in rain and snow. The M and the M2 actually survived a few drop on the ground. Hope more good EF-M lenses will come with the M50 II. We do need more good lens for the 32.5M sensor.

Upvote 0