Who's still hanging in?

Had been an M series owner for many years. My last M was the M6 which I owned for 3 years. I am primarily a landscape photographer and the M6 worked great but it was time to move on. I had tried the EOS R system but was spoiled by the small size and great IQ of the M6. So I tried Fuji. My setup seems to be a good size and weight for me. Pretty much in between an R setup and M6 setup. I have been with Fuji for 7 months now and the main thing I dislike is the premium pricing. I have spent about 3x as much as my M6 setup on Fuji but I gotta say it is a great system.
I have no regrets moving on but wish those who stay all the best.

My setup.
Fuji XT-3
Fuji 10-24 f4
Fuji 16-80 f4
Fuji 55-200 3.8-4.5
Fuji 70-300 (arriving today, will probably sell the 55-200 after using side by side)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

chrislambert

Canon R6 + M5
May 26, 2021
I sold my M5 because I'm really interested in the features available on the M6ii especially after having used the R6 in comparison, but I'm wondering if Canon will release an M5ii with similar or better features? Also, the Sigma 16mm 1.4 and 56mm 1.4 EFM lenses look very interesting as a low-light combo. I currently have the Canon 22mm and 32m primes but I'd like to get a little wider and more telephoto which those 2 would accomplish.

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

Fujifilm X-H2S (M50 Veteran)
CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
I sold my M5 because I'm really interested in the features available on the M6ii especially after having used the R6 in comparison, but I'm wondering if Canon will release an M5ii with similar or better features? Also, the Sigma 16mm 1.4 and 56mm 1.4 EFM lenses look very interesting as a low-light combo. I currently have the Canon 22mm and 32m primes but I'd like to get a little wider and more telephoto which those 2 would accomplish.
Those are excellent lenses, hoping Sigma comes to Fuji since I moved on, I miss the 16mm I had with my M50.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I recently sold my M6 Mark II and kept my M5 and 11-22mm, 15-45mm, 22mm, 32mm, and Sigma 16mm/56mm lenses. I personally think the M5 is still a very good camera, albeit very slow to use at times, but everything’s there that I need when taking it around for daily use, fun, and vacations. However, I very quickly grew to miss the speed and responsiveness of the M6 Mark II and decided to pick another one up. This time, it’s for good. I think the M5 and M6 Mark II are very clearly the best cameras from the system and they are fantastic enough….I hope they will one day make an M5 Mark II, but until then, I have a pretty great combination right now that serves me. I just need to stop convincing myself to sell these cameras.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Linteria

EF-M Evangelist
Oct 23, 2020
I recently sold my M6 Mark II and kept my M5 and 11-22mm, 15-45mm, 22mm, 32mm, and Sigma 16mm/56mm lenses. I personally think the M5 is still a very good camera, albeit very slow to use at times, but everything’s there that I need when taking it around for daily use, fun, and vacations. However, I very quickly grew to miss the speed and responsiveness of the M6 Mark II and decided to pick another one up. This time, it’s for good. I think the M5 and M6 Mark II are very clearly the best cameras from the system and they are fantastic enough….I hope they will one day make an M5 Mark II, but until then, I have a pretty great combination right now that serves me. I just need to stop convincing myself to sell these cameras.
Totally agree on that front. I'm always changing my opinion on which i think is better btw my M5 and M6ii. Easily the best two cameras in the system. I'd prob put the M200 third, even though that and the M3 (worst M camera) are the only two Ms which i don't have. Just recently i got over my honeymoon with the 5 after buying it earlier this year. I love it, it's such a better camera than the M50.

I really appreciate what the 50 has done for mirrorless cameras and content creation, but after owning the 5 i finally get why everyone always says they want the 5ii. It is near perfect for serious shooting and needs a proper update. Best screen out of all the Ms as well, largest and highest res. All the controls of, and similar screen articulation to, the 6ii without sacrificing the built-in EVF of the 50 (i came into the system backwards, lol). It even has touch and drag AF – the original M6 can't even do that when you attach the EVF, and it came out the following year! :LOL: *cue cripple hammer*

Yet here i am once again going back to my first born, the 6ii. Ppl like to diss the removable EVF, but as a lover of all things tiny and compact, especially my cam bags, i think the feature is a premium one. Once the EVF is on, it's awesome to use. The only downside is that when it's on the camera it doesn't inspire as much confidence to throw around or into a bag, unlike the ruggedness of a built-in EVF. And as you said, the speed and responsive of the 6ii is just unparalleled. The sensor as well, a monster in such a tiny little package.

Having bought and used most of the Ms this year has really made me appreciate my original purchase even more. Only the 5 has nearly matched its talents. But bring on that 5ii already!

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Totally agree on that front. I'm always changing my opinion on which i think is better btw my M5 and M6ii. Easily the best two cameras in the system. I'd prob put the M200 third, even though that and the M3 (worst M camera) are the only two Ms which i don't have. Just recently i got over my honeymoon with the 5 after buying it earlier this year. I love it, it's such a better camera than the M50.

I really appreciate what the 50 has done for mirrorless cameras and content creation, but after owning the 5 i finally get why everyone always says they want the 5ii. It is near perfect for serious shooting and needs a proper update. Best screen out of all the Ms as well, largest and highest res. All the controls of, and similar screen articulation to, the 6ii without sacrificing the built-in EVF of the 50 (i came into the system backwards, lol). It even has touch and drag AF – the original M6 can't even do that when you attach the EVF, and it came out the following year! :LOL: *cue cripple hammer*

Yet here i am once again going back to my first born, the 6ii. Ppl like to diss the removable EVF, but as a lover of all things tiny and compact, especially my cam bags, i think the feature is a premium one. Once the EVF is on, it's awesome to use. The only downside is that when it's on the camera it doesn't inspire as much confidence to throw around or into a bag, unlike the ruggedness of a built-in EVF. And as you said, the speed and responsive of the 6ii is just unparalleled. The sensor as well, a monster in such a tiny little package.

Having bought and used most of the Ms this year has really made me appreciate my original purchase even more. Only the 5 has nearly matched its talents. But bring on that 5ii already!
I don't disagree about the 5ii.

I waited a while on the M6ii because I was hoping they'd announce a 5ii. More control dials and a reversable screen. The removable EVF doesn't matter one way or the other to me, but some day I suppose I might want to put something else in the hot shoe.

Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
I like my M50, but not committed to the line, and seeing above comments on M5 I noticed it still is listed for sale, (except uses the R10 battery, so can't used my M50 batteries on it), seems close in many specs to M50 though (4k doesn't matter to me) and has dedicated exposure compensation knob. Curious, I just wanted to see if 2 years later now if anyone from this thread has changed their mind on the M series and switching to the R system instead or bought an R10 or Sony? $100 off sale on 32mm F1.4 lens now and $179 for 22mm pancake. Or, anyone waiting for R100?

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
I like my M50, but not committed to the line, and seeing above comments on M5 I noticed it still is listed for sale, (except uses the R10 battery, so can't used my M50 batteries on it), seems close in many specs to M50 though (4k doesn't matter to me) and has dedicated exposure compensation knob. Curious, I just wanted to see if 2 years later now if anyone from this thread has changed their mind on the M series and switching to the R system instead or bought an R10 or Sony? $100 off sale on 32mm F1.4 lens now and $179 for 22mm pancake. Or, anyone waiting for R100?
I gave up on Canon, honestly. I loved my M50 but obviously they never gave me a clear upgrade. Winter 2020 I went with a Fuji X-S10 which had a full and high quality lens lineup. I just upgraded it to a X-H2S and it's phenomenal. The launch of the R10 & R7 confirmed I made the right call, the lens lineup is weak and they are blocking quality third party options. The features are at this point behind the competition at the same price points. They are fine for what they are, and for a couple of niches, say birding, the R7 is as good as it gets. But for a more generalist like me they don't fit and Fuji delivers more for the money.

I'll be sticking with the H2S for several years at least, when it gets long in the tooth I'll re-evaluate and see if Canon has filled out the lens lineup and made competitive bodies. I loved my M50 and I have nothing against the company but I'm not a valued customer for them so I moved on. Maybe they'll value me again in the future.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
I gave up on Canon, honestly. I loved my M50 but obviously they never gave me a clear upgrade. Winter 2020 I went with a Fuji X-S10 which had a full and high quality lens lineup. I just upgraded it to a X-H2S and it's phenomenal. The launch of the R10 & R7 confirmed I made the right call, the lens lineup is weak and they are blocking quality third party options. The features are at this point behind the competition at the same price points. They are fine for what they are, and for a couple of niches, say birding, the R7 is as good as it gets. But for a more generalist like me they don't fit and Fuji delivers more for the money.

I'll be sticking with the H2S for several years at least, when it gets long in the tooth I'll re-evaluate and see if Canon has filled out the lens lineup and made competitive bodies. I loved my M50 and I have nothing against the company but I'm not a valued customer for them so I moved on. Maybe they'll value me again in the future.
I switched my APS-C kit to Fuji in 2020 and I haven't looked back once. It has been incredibly rewarding and fun to use. The lens options are easily the most developed and highest quality of any APS-C lineup. The sensors are tremendous and now the autofocus is finally good at tracking things with the X-H2S...my X-T4 was pretty bad at autofocus. But the best example is look at the M5 and how much it cost...then look at the X-T30 and how much it costs. You're getting a significantly better build and more capable camera for the money. I love my Canon gear for work...but I'll be damed if I'm not reaching for the Fuji stuff almost every day and bringing it with me on shoots now.

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
I switched my APS-C kit to Fuji in 2020 and I haven't looked back once. It has been incredibly rewarding and fun to use. The lens options are easily the most developed and highest quality of any APS-C lineup. The sensors are tremendous and now the autofocus is finally good at tracking things with the X-H2S...my X-T4 was pretty bad at autofocus. But the best example is look at the M5 and how much it cost...then look at the X-T30 and how much it costs. You're getting a significantly better build and more capable camera for the money. I love my Canon gear for work...but I'll be damed if I'm not reaching for the Fuji stuff almost every day and bringing it with me on shoots now.
Yeah, I have no anger or anything towards Canon. The M50 was a fantastic gateway drug. But they never built a mid-range to 'graduate' to and finally started over with the RF mount options. Meanwhile I can use a system that has higher quality output, a far more advanced lens selection and costs less money for more features (especially pro features). I'm there.

I'll check Canon when I actually get my money's worth out of the H2S.

Edit: I just got the new XF18mmF1.4 and can't wait to take it out for a spin. The 33 is next in line...

Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
Unfortunately, I really have no distribution or support for Fuji where I am or really for anything but Canon, Sony and Nikon cameras so I cannot even try one out. I bought the Sony A6400 and 3 lens for it but the menu's make it a pain to use, and had a strange color issue compared side by side with M50 (Shooting a purple rose flower, the 6400 was a dark blue, but smartphone and M50 both were purple! and accurate within reason to my eye. I had to change the default to "shade" setting as I had mixed natural and LED light. I have never seen that with in any other camera in Auto, 1000's of hours of Sony camcorder uses, I have sold CCD cameras and lens years past so it's not like I a newbie. I showed the image to two camera store "experts" and got nothing but shrugged shoulders!). I need to do simultaneous HD video on 2 cameras, so I now don't trust the A6400. The M50 touch screen and fully articulation really I like much better. Only reason got into Sony was local distribution and all the lens support, I have owned so many Canon cameras, so other than video cameras, I never owned Sony SLR or hybrid products. I waited and was ready to buy but just changed my mind on the R10 reading the 3rd party lens ban article here on the forum when they got the R10 into stock here, as I don't see the RF-S inexpensive lenses yet... except the 50mm and 16mm. Same with Nikon, low lens inventory here. But, it appears I need to make a decision as I don't want to have mess around with color problems between (2) different camera and lens systems.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Still in. I bought an M6II a couple of months ago. I have all of the EF-M lenses already. Actually, I have two of the EF-M 15-45 since I bought the M6II as a kit with the lens and EVF, at the Amazon Prime Day price that meant getting the lens and EVF for $80.

Having three standard zooms works well because on family trips now, I can use the M6II and my two older kids can use the M6 and M2.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
Yeah, I have no anger or anything towards Canon. The M50 was a fantastic gateway drug. But they never built a mid-range to 'graduate' to and finally started over with the RF mount options. Meanwhile I can use a system that has higher quality output, a far more advanced lens selection and costs less money for more features (especially pro features). I'm there.

I'll check Canon when I actually get my money's worth out of the H2S.

Edit: I just got the new XF18mmF1.4 and can't wait to take it out for a spin. The 33 is next in line...
Not sure if you saw this, but Fuji just announced a price increase starting November 1st for many of their lenses. This includes the XF33mm, sadly. The XF18mm f/1.4 was also my next lens. After learning about the price hike impacting it as well, I decided to not wait for a potential Black Friday sale as I was planning for. Today I pulled the trigger on it. I also got to check it out in person at B&H this week.

The 33mm was a shocking lens for me. I had (still have, actually) the XF35mm and found it to basically be a modern day vintage lens with autofocus. Beautiful character and rendering, but not without its flaws and shortcomings. I still love it and have a hard time convincing myself to sell it. (I have way too many lenses and cameras at this point, but I somehow manage to use everything pretty regularly.) Enter the 33mm f/1.4; It’s essentially a compact fully professional 50mm f/1.8 full-frame equivalent lens that we’ll never see from Canon. To me, that makes it the perfect travel 50mm.

I consider Fuji to be the absolute best “Professional travel and street photography cameras”. If you want a quality camera to travel with, I don’t believe you can ask for or find anything better.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
Still in. I bought an M6II a couple of months ago. I have all of the EF-M lenses already. Actually, I have two of the EF-M 15-45 since I bought the M6II as a kit with the lens and EVF, at the Amazon Prime Day price that meant getting the lens and EVF for $80.

Having three standard zooms works well because on family trips now, I can use the M6II and my two older kids can use the M6 and M2.
That deal was way too good! Glad you scooped one up. I was actually considering it myself because it was selling for CHEAPER than I sold mine for used! Haha

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
Not sure if you saw this, but Fuji just announced a price increase starting November 1st for many of their lenses. This includes the XF33mm, sadly. The XF18mm f/1.4 was also my next lens. After learning about the price hike impacting it as well, I decided to not wait for a potential Black Friday sale as I was planning for. Today I pulled the trigger on it. I also got to check it out in person at B&H this week.

The 33mm was a shocking lens for me. I had (still have, actually) the XF35mm and found it to basically be a modern day vintage lens with autofocus. Beautiful character and rendering, but not without its flaws and shortcomings. I still love it and have a hard time convincing myself to sell it. (I have way too many lenses and cameras at this point, but I somehow manage to use everything pretty regularly.) Enter the 33mm f/1.4; It’s essentially a compact fully professional 50mm f/1.8 full-frame equivalent lens that we’ll never see from Canon. To me, that makes it the perfect travel 50mm.

I consider Fuji to be the absolute best “Professional travel and street photography cameras”. If you want a quality camera to travel with, I don’t believe you can ask for or find anything better.
I managed to grab the 18 for 789 euros last weekend. A friend in Italy pointed out to me that a local shop had run a 20% discount and Amazon automatically matched it, so I pulled the trigger. Watching for a deal on the 33, but likely to pull the trigger this week to avoid the price increase.

BTW, do *not* sleep on Viltrox. Can't believe Canon shot themselves in the foot on them. Viltrox is making some seriously competitive lenses now, I absolutely love my 13mm f/1.4 and I'm looking forward to the upcoming 75mm f/1.2. The 85mm is a great budget alternative to the XF 90mm (although I managed to pick one of those up for a good price and sold my 85).

In my opinion Fuji is the natural upgrade for M mount shooters.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
I have absolutely no intention of selling any of mine. Love it. I recently went out with the M6ii, caged, fitted with the EF 70-300 IS ii nano…
Superb, compared it to the 55-250 stm and 70-300L. I’m happy with all 3 but the nano is fast (so damn fast) and being black as opposed to the white 70-300L far more discreet when out with family. Still have my 5diii/6Dii both rarely see use but holding onto them as I still like both.
I’ve accepted the M will be discontinued, just makes me more determined to keep mine and pick up a extra body or two.

Will never opt for the R7/10
If I go R it’s the 5 or above.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I have absolutely no intention of selling any of mine. Love it. I recently went out with the M6ii, caged, fitted with the EF 70-300 IS ii nano…
Superb, compared it to the 55-250 stm and 70-300L. I’m happy with all 3 but the nano is fast (so damn fast) and being black as opposed to the white 70-300L far more discreet when out with family. Still have my 5diii/6Dii both rarely see use but holding onto them as I still like both.
I’ve accepted the M will be discontinued, just makes me more determined to keep mine and pick up a extra body or two.

Will never opt for the R7/10
If I go R it’s the 5 or above.
I rented an R7 to take on vacation, so I had R5/R7/M6II and while the R7 performed great, I didn't like that it was significantly smaller than the R5 as well as being significantly larger than the M6II. My pinky slipped out when using big lenses and it wouldn't fit in smaller compartments like my M6II.

So I still like the M6II very much and will keep using it :)

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I rented an R7 to take on vacation, so I had R5/R7/M6II and while the R7 performed great, I didn't like that it was significantly smaller than the R5 as well as being significantly larger than the M6II. My pinky slipped out when using big lenses and it wouldn't fit in smaller compartments like my M6II.

So I still like the M6II very much and will keep using it :)

I suppose your situation can be likened to owning a sportscar for running around town and maybe road trips, and a big pickup for snowy days or days you have to haul a lot more than just a couple of bags of groceries. Something in between will do both jobs, but not as well. (But if you can only afford one car...)

Upvote 0