Why are EF - RF Adapters Backordered

Aug 9, 2020
I received my R5 just over a week ago. However the EF to RF adapters are backordered all over the nation, and have been for some time. What gives? Any ideas about current ETA?

Codebunny

EOS R1
Sep 5, 2018
They are giving them away with the R5 if you register it or something to that effect, but that is only the basic adapter, perhaps try the control ring one for stock.

Aug 9, 2020
Thanks for the response Codebunny. It is the control ring adapter I have on order - ordered at the same time as the R5 body. Re basis adapter giveaway - I have not heard about this. The R5 is registered and I have the4 year Canon Care Pack. Do you have a link to the offer?

Aug 9, 2020
Thanks. That offer seems only to be good in the UK or Europe. The USA site is down since the ransom ware incident. I'll keep checking back.

Bert63

EOS RP
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017

sal7777

From EF to RF
Jul 16, 2020
Santa Monica
Hmm. I was surprised to read they were out of stock. I ordered my R5 with the basic EF to RF adapter on July 10th. B&H photo sent me the adapter two days later. I still have yet to receive my R5.

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Mar 25, 2011
Which third party control ring adapter did you choose?
The one I linked to. In case the link does not work, its title is. "
Lens Mount Adapter EF-R2 Auto-Focus Lens Converter Compatible with Canon EF/EF-S Lenses to EOS R/EOS RP Cameras, Easy Adjustment with Functional Control Ring"

It should work with a R5. but if there are issues, it has update capability for new firmware.

1D4

EOS M6 Mark II
Jun 5, 2020
Global pandemic affecting production and lots of EF users making the jump with the R5/R6. I didn't get a shipping notice for my spare LP-E6NH battery until today, and I ordered within the first minute pre-orders were up. Everything is in short supply and backed up right now, unfortunately.

Last edited:

wyotex43n

EOS M50
Jan 24, 2016
I received my R5 just over a week ago. However the EF to RF adapters are backordered all over the nation, and have been for some time. What gives? Any ideas about current ETA?
Just reassign the same question and wondering if anyone has received an update or estimated ship dates? I have had an adapter on order for 4 weeks and B&H only shows backordered with no other info. I can't seem to find any of Canon's adapters on any site. It seems they really misjudged the demand.

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Mar 25, 2011
They should be providing a free adapter like they did with the R. I expect that there was a good stock of adaptors, but they did not expect buyers to be getting one for each of their EF lenses.

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I expect that there was a good stock of adaptors, but they did not expect buyers to be getting one for each of their EF lenses.
I feel greedy on this regard, I got a control ring adapter back when I got my R5, but I've been watching out for additional ones while already having one. Ideally I'd like to at least have two, one in my primary backpack, and one in my belt kit. That way I never find myself without at least one way to put an EF lens on my R5. I've held off though, knowing there's plenty of people with R5s who don't have any lenses to go on it.

But honestly, having one for each EF lens would be perfect, and would make it a lot easier to just use the adapters like backcaps and ensuring they all can get adapted at all times. Maybe in a year or two I'll do that, looking at how the stock is going.

ColorBlindBat

CR Pro
Aug 30, 2018
If anyone is looking for the non-control rind adapter (2971C002), Amazon UK has 11 in stock.
Total cost with shipping to California was $128.83.