Why Scott Kelby Switched to Canon

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/01/why-scott-kelby-switched-to-canon/"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/01/why-scott-kelby-switched-to-canon/">Tweet</a></div>
<p>Long time Nikon shooter, author and Adobe professional Scott Kelby switched over to Canon about 6 months. Being that he’s a popular guy in the photography world, I assume he was being asked every 10 minutes why he switched.</p>
<p>The switch was made to a EOS-1D X and EOS 5D Mark III for the big reasons of ergonomics, menu system and skin tones.</p>
<p>Kelby sits down with Canon Explorer of Light Rick Sammon to discuss the switch to Canon.</p>
<p><iframe width="500" height="281" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Vz94bdlVVlc?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></p>
<p><strong>CR’s Take</strong>

I’m not sure how much Mr Kelby paid for the Canon gear he now has, but I hypothesize it was at a discount. :)</p>
<p>System switching is an odd thing to me, and always has been. Unless there’s a definitive feature or lens that one doesn’t have and the other does.</p>
<p>I have heard of Canon shooters moving to Nikon if they use Speedlites a lot, as Nikon’s ETTL does a better and more consistent job than Canon’s system does.  When I hear a Nikon user switching to Canon, it seems to usually be about video features. I also know of a couple of nature photographers that moved over to Canon around the time the new big white lenses made it to market. They found great value in the weight savings of Canon’s new super telephoto lenses.</p>
<p>Switching for ergonomics is a weird one to me. After a few months with a camera, you’re used to it and it becomes second nature. I personally fumble around with Nikon’s pro bodies, but that’s because I have been shooting Canon predominantly for a long time. Had I always shot Nikon, I’m sure the opposite would be true.</p>
<p>Spotted on: [<a href="http://www.photographybay.com/2014/01/20/scott-kelby-explains-his-switch-from-nikon-to-canon/" target="_blank">PB</a>]</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
Canon Rumors said:
The switch was made to a EOS-1D X and EOS 5D Mark III for the big reasons of ergonomics, menu system and skin tones.

Now, that should generate a couple of troll posts on nikon rumors :->

Btw I agree about the the ergonomics, when I had to decide between 60d and d7000 back then I felt much more comfortable with the Canon system, though not surprising I've been using Canon film for decades. Of course the menu system Kelby likes is only on the new 5d3/1dx, the rest of us still uses the one-dimensional unrolled menu system like on the 6d/70d.

Upvote 0
I use to argue with a friend of mine about the old Nikon/Canon debate. Luckily I didn't get one but with the way Nikon handled the D600 oil/just issue, I decided it wasn't worth risking my money on them anymore since I was going into full frame and more expensive gear.

After I got my Canon 6d, I grew to love it. Especially the lowlight capability. I feel I am in much better hands with Canon now.

Upvote 0
OK, let's really discuss this. Canon wants Scott's social media reach. They offered him(the contract reads his company but remember he owns it) a mid 6 figure sum to "sponsor " him. That of course includes a ton of "permanent" loaners(nikon and canon give away very little so you don't sell it but it is loaned forever) but camera gear in the grand scheme of things isn't that much to companies the size of Canon, Nikon or Kelby publishing(in 2007 it was a $20 million a year company, imagine how big it is today http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/products/2007-05-08-kelby-photoshop_N.htm).
Canon and Nikon have been dumping sponsored working pros and replacing them with big social media guys because the average amateur is an internet geek and get their info from non pros like Rick and Scott. Times are changing and he who yells the loudest wins. Kelby isn't a pro and has found a small stock agency to be sponsored by because he gets them a ton of publicity, not because the photos are good(imaging him turning those pictures into SI?) That said he is a GREAT teacher. Absolutely amazing teacher so it makes total sense Canon will pay for that placement. Nikon is a much smaller company and couldn't match that deal. I expect Canon and and on a smaller scale Nikon to be doing more of this in the near future. Fans of both sides want it to be about the cameras but it's not, it's about business.
So let's cut the ergonomics talk and call it what it was, a great business deal for him, his company and Canon.

Upvote 0
Scott is a great teacher - I have taken a couple of his seminars when he has come through town. My buddy Hien snapped this of Scott and I on my old 40D, 17-55/2.8 combo. I joked with him at the time about being shot with Canon as he was a staunch Nikonian at the time...

Keep Calm and CanOn...

Attachments

• Scott_Kelby.jpg
    Scott_Kelby.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 4,842
Upvote 0

Vivid Color

CR Pro
Dec 7, 2012
Woody said:
This is shocking because Scott Kelby has always been a very strong proponent of the Nikon system. Now, why will someone who has touted the wide dynamic range in Nikon cameras suddenly switch to a system with inferior sensors? ;D ;D ;D

As Mr. Kelby noted in the video, you pick a camera on the basis of many factors. I'll note that how you weigh those factors is dependent on use and individual preferences. Likely, Mr. Kelby's stated reasons of Canon having the better AF, better hit rate, and skin tones outweighed, in his case, the DR, the sensor, and other features in Nikon's cameras. It may simply come down to specs on paper don't matter if you don't/can't get the shot in the field or don't like the resulting tone. Although it is interesting to see people who have used one system for years move to another, given the stated reasons, I'm not sure why any of this is surprising or shocking.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Some bad blood is being spilled at nikon oriented forums ;D ... over the years I've shot with both Canon & Nikon cameras/lenses and I still shoot with both the systems ... but more with Canon ... recently got the Sony a7 ... from my limited experience, all of them do a great job ... one does better in some situations then the other, but in the end they are all fantastic (but quality control over at Nikon has been pretty crappy in the last few years e.g. SB-900 & D600).

Upvote 0
I can see why Nikonians may feel slighted by Kelby. But I have one of his books and he doesn't give Nikon or Canon any greater emphasis over the other. I've always been a Canon shooter and didn't feel he gave preference to Nikon.

He also promotes B&H in the book as well. So he has no problem advertising for someone. And I think that's why he switched to Canon. The 5D MKIII and 1DX have been out for several years and don't think they magically changed overnight. If he got a great sponsorship package, why not say so? Professionals in many different areas switch teams for similar reasons all the time. He's going to piss-off Nikonians regardless of his reasons.

I always recommend his books for beginners. And that group is the majority of the market.

Upvote 0
Someonewhoknows says it more eloquently, but basically he switched because he's a whore.

I don't mean any disrespect to Kelby or Canon or whores, for that matter. It's just buyers and sellers. Kelby has a fine training organization, and he's one of the best pitchmen around. Canon wants what he can give, and they've got the money to make it happen.

All the talk about ergonomics, AF, etc. is just stockings, garter belts and crimson lipstick.

someonewhoknows said:
OK, let's really discuss this. Canon wants Scott's social media reach. They offered him(the contract reads his company but remember he owns it) a mid 6 figure sum to "sponsor " him. That of course includes a ton of "permanent" loaners(nikon and canon give away very little so you don't sell it but it is loaned forever) but camera gear in the grand scheme of things isn't that much to companies the size of Canon, Nikon or Kelby publishing(in 2007 it was a $20 million a year company, imagine how big it is today http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/products/2007-05-08-kelby-photoshop_N.htm).
Canon and Nikon have been dumping sponsored working pros and replacing them with big social media guys because the average amateur is an internet geek and get their info from non pros like Rick and Scott. Times are changing and he who yells the loudest wins. Kelby isn't a pro and has found a small stock agency to be sponsored by because he gets them a ton of publicity, not because the photos are good(imaging him turning those pictures into SI?) That said he is a GREAT teacher. Absolutely amazing teacher so it makes total sense Canon will pay for that placement. Nikon is a much smaller company and couldn't match that deal. I expect Canon and and on a smaller scale Nikon to be doing more of this in the near future. Fans of both sides want it to be about the cameras but it's not, it's about business.
So let's cut the ergonomics talk and call it what it was, a great business deal for him, his company and Canon.

Upvote 0
Switching for ergonomics is a weird one to me. After a few months with a camera, you’re used to it and it becomes second nature. I personally fumble around with Nikon’s pro bodies, but that’s because I have been shooting Canon predominantly for a long time. Had I always shot Nikon, I’m sure the opposite would be true.

I'm not so sure about that. While yes, you can get used to any control layout, there is something about Canon's control layout (buttons and dials) that just works better. The only complaint I've had about Canon's button layout is the DOF preview button on my 7D, however that's been fixed with newer DSLR bodies (it's now in the PERFECT place.) When it comes to controlling all the critical settings without ever taking your eye from the viewfinder, Canon 's button layout trounces Nikon's. I can change just about everything without taking my eye from the viewfinder, and without moving my fingers very far from the shutter button. The mechanism by which you switch modes to change things like ISO, flash compensation, AF point selection, etc. is so simple it becomes a procedural memory thing. You can fly through settings changes while your still tracking a subject in motion, and get back to shooting in a heartbeat. That isn't just because you know the system...it's the specific layout. Canon NAILED it. Nikon...they get some things right, and some things wrong (and some VERY wrong.)

This isn't the first time I've heard a Nikon shooter rave about Canon ergonomics. There is something about it that is indeed superior.

Upvote 0