Wide Angle to go with a 70D

Greets all,

After much deliberation I have decided to upgrade from my 550D to a 70D. Along with a body upgrade I will be investing in some new lenses. I mainly shoot landscapes, travel and street in both still and video. At the moment I am torn between the Tokina AT-X 11-16 PRO DX and the Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM. Im leaning towards the Sigma even though it's not as sharp as the Tokina, then again Sigma has more quality control issues and a higher chance Ill get a poor copy. Im at a loss and seek some advice...

Thanks in Advance!

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
New 10-18 could go along nicely for video (IS and STM), but it's rather slow lens, not so good for street photo I reckon.

I've played with Tokina 11-16/2.8 on a few occasions. Nice lens (although I hated reverse zoom direction and focus clutch, but optically, it was awesome, even wide open).

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
I did the same upgrade 6 months ago, 550D -> 70D. It's a nice upgrade, the "prosumer" body with easy access to settings like drive (burst mode or not) and focus (single shot, AI) is handy. The focus system is just a lot stronger as well. Shooting sports, or even just kids running around the backyard, especially with a lens like the 85 f/1.8 and shooting at those narrow DOF, makes a big difference. Besides, now I just leave the 40mm pancake on the 550D and it's a nice small little package. Just wish they'd get an EF-S 22mm like the EF-M has.

The ultra wide, was the "final" lens I added to my kit. I went with the Tokina 11-16 and am very happy with that decision. For me I think UWA and I think landscape, stopped down, plenty of light. Well, just the other weekend I was at a train museum and this lens made a big difference in low light and tight spaces. I love the f/2.8. Sure 11-16 is a pretty narrow range, but just treat it like a wide prime. Besides, once I hit that 24mm range, I'd rather switch to a good prime with USM focus and wide aperture f/2.0 or faster. Also, it is solid construction, I personally enjoy the "clutch" focus, not that focus is much of an issue/question at these wide angles and crop sensors. My good buddy has the Canon 10-22 and I played around with that one as well.

Enjoy the new 70D and good luck on your UWA purchase.

Upvote 0
I would not buy the Sigma, as I heard to many bad things about the quality control. The Tokina 2.8/11-16mm is for APS-C an absolute top-notch performer IQ-wise. But for me, it is important to have a bit more reach than just 26mm (35mm equivalent). To not have to change lenses all the time, I love having something in the 24mm range(38mm FF equivalent). That's why I went with the Tokina 4/12-24 II. It is nearly as good as the 11-16 optically and there is a new version out, the 4/12-28mm, which should be even better. In your case, I would go with that one.

Upvote 0