Will Tamron and Sigma start producing lenses for Canon RF mount?

Hjalmarg1

Photo Hobbyist
Oct 8, 2013
Doha, Qatar
I wonder when Sigma and Tamron will start producing lenses for Canon RF mount, as both are producing excellent lenses for Sony E-mount that are sometimes even better than Sony equivalents. Any thoughts?

Avenger 2.0

EOS M6 Mark II
Jul 30, 2017
I think the reverse engineering for the new RF protocol is much more difficult then the EF one.
For example, Tamron released one native EF-M lens (EF-M 18-200mm) and it still has AF problems now (even after multiple firmware upgrades).
Maybe they will release a RF lens that will still use the EF protocol but has a RF mount.

koenkooi

EOS R
CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
I think the reverse engineering for the new RF protocol is much more difficult then the EF one.
For example, Tamron released one native EF-M lens (EF-M 18-200mm) and it still has AF problems now (even after multiple firmware upgrades).
Maybe they will release a RF lens that will still use the EF protocol but has a RF mount.
I'm curious about the new EF600mm, Canon had a list of RF benefits, and the 600mm has a lot of them. E.g. DLO lens profile builtin. Are the protocols so similar that this works, does EF still have some unused features or does the EF600 secretly speak RF as well as EF?

Last edited:

Avenger 2.0

EOS M6 Mark II
Jul 30, 2017
I'm curious about the new EF600mm, Canon had a list of RF benefits, and the 600mm a lot of them. E.g. DLO lens profile builtin. Are the protocols so similar that this works, does EF still have some unused features or does the EF600 secretly speak RF as well as EF?
Might be the last part, I thought the EF lenses have unused pin(s) on the mount. Sigma lenses have for example an added protocol on these pin(s) that allow faster communication when using Sigma EF lenses on the Sigma MC-21 adapter.

SwissFrank

from EOS 1N to R
Dec 9, 2018
Might be the last part, I thought the EF lenses have unused pin(s) on the mount. Sigma lenses have for example an added protocol on these pin(s) that allow faster communication when using Sigma EF lenses on the Sigma MC-21 adapter.
Actually, adding messages not in the base EF protocol wouldn't necessarily take extra pins to support. The existing pins can always be used SOMEHOW to smuggle out extra info if you need.

Reactions: GrunRad

Dmcavoy

EOS R
Nov 20, 2019
It's been almost 2 years since the RF mount was released. And so far the only AF third party lenses (to my knowledge) are from Samyang.

Quite frankly it's a joke that Sigma and Tamron haven't done anything yet.

Reactions: Ruiloba

Ruiloba

80D + EosR
Feb 13, 2020
Spain
I don't know what are they waiting for... they will sell a ton as people are migrating systems

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Mar 25, 2011
I wonder when Sigma and Tamron will start producing lenses for Canon RF mount, as both are producing excellent lenses for Sony E-mount that are sometimes even better than Sony equivalents. Any thoughts?
Sony was not able to build a selection of lenses for E Mount when it came out. They offered to license the technology to 3rd party lens makers so that the e mount could have a better chance at success. Canon does not license any of their mounts or protocols. That means they must be reverse engineered. If the design is properly done, there may be some features that can't be reverse engineered without a patent violation.

Its possible, of course to just machine the rear body so its extended with a RF mount only with EF contacts. So far, to their credit, they have not done that.

Ah-Keong

EOS 90D
Dec 1, 2016
Think Tamron and Sigma are maybe considering to try to find out the differences between the Z mount and RF mount and make a base common design and add in the differences (Control Ring of the RF lens ?) and the reverse engineer the AF too.