Will the G17 have a 1" sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see Canon coming out with the S130 and G17 and having an outdated 1/1.7" sensor when Sony, Panasonic, etc are pushing forward with bigger sensors.

privatebydesign said:
Probably not.

The G1X series is supposed to be the crossover larger sensor P&S, also that lens speed is very fast, it would make the lens much bigger than the 140mm f2.8 on the G16, so a substantially bigger camera.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
powershot2012 said:
I can't see Canon coming out with the S130 and G17 and having an outdated 1/1.7" sensor when Sony, Panasonic, etc are pushing forward with bigger sensors.

privatebydesign said:
Probably not.

The G1X series is supposed to be the crossover larger sensor P&S, also that lens speed is very fast, it would make the lens much bigger than the 140mm f2.8 on the G16, so a substantially bigger camera.

Why not? Canon play by their own tune. Sony are churning out different cameras in the hope that a couple actually sell, FF mirrorless, fixed lenses on FF cameras, three FF versions of their A7 while they lose more money than their core insurance business can support; meanwhile Panasonic are playing the out video feature game, but both are throwing huge amounts of money into a market that is in a terminal death spiral. P&S's are not the cash cow they were just a few short years ago.

The two main selling feature points of P&S's is size and price, now phones take basically the same pictures for "free", which kills price, size is it, it seems to me Canon are happy with their camera sizes.

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
That's a pretty neat wish list. However, if true, the lens would be big. It would physically be a 8.9 to 74mm lens, and with the f2.0 aperture at the long end, a 37mm entrance pupil. If that directly translates to the front element size, nothing too massive for a superzoom category camera. That is until you factor in the wide angle (84 degrees) at f1.4, that front element will be big. Possibly much bigger than 37mm.

Upvote 0
Sony is hoping a couple if there cameras will sell???

The RX100 I, II, and III, have cannibalized S120, G17, and G1X II sales.

When is Canon going to produce a competitive model???

privatebydesign said:
powershot2012 said:

privatebydesign said:
Probably not.

Why not? Canon play by their own tune. Sony are churning out different cameras in the hope that a couple actually sell.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
powershot2012 said:
Sony is hoping a couple if there cameras will sell???

The RX100 I, II, and III, have cannibalized S120, G17, and G1X II sales.

When is Canon going to produce a competitive model???

OR, when is Sony going to make a camera that doesn't cost the Sony corporation a fortune? Besides, do you have actual true sales figures for all those models?

Upvote 0
You are thinking they will just go with a faster lens on the G17.

It sure would be nice to have a larger sensor in the G17 or even S130 to better go up against the RX100 series.

crashpc said:
It outperforms Canon only in certain aspects. Not all. Not generally better cam.
I believe G series must be small and cheaper, so if they make G17, it will propably have smaller sensor than 1".

Upvote 0
I am thinking that if they indeed go with a larger sensor, it will be something like the 2/3 one that Fuji has. Also, it seems Canon finally has something groundbreaking in the sensor departement. It will be announced on Photokina as far as I understand. 7DII is the first one out, but that technology will eventually trickle down to the PowerShots.

Upvote 0
powershot2012 said:
Had heard the G17 will have 1" sensor with 24-200mm lens:

Canon G17 Rumored Specification

24-200mm f/1.4-2.0 lens
New 1″ Sensor
all magnesium body with comfortable grip
DIGIC 6

Is this legit?

Yes, it can be true.
Same sensor as G7X (1" from sony) with bigger range but still "compact" body (unlike RX10/FZ1000).
Maybe something like Olympus Stylus One.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I own a G12. At the time I bought, it was probably the best small camera you could buy that wasn't a DSLR.
It was a handy walkaround camera that produced reasonably good photos. I know alot of photographers who had it as a back up camera. It wasn't cheap and the viewfinder is a joke on it.
Canon missed a complete trick with it. It didn't go more high end (EVF, Classic Design, Fast Glass) or get more compact (which I think the market really was).
Canon may as well give up now because I don't think they can produce (or don't want to invest to produce) a compact that will be better than the Sony RX100 IV.
It may have a 1" sensor but it won't have a good EVF, it may have a longer zoom but the glass won't be as good. It won't be able to fit in your pocket but take excellent photos at the same time.
It won't have 4K video and super slow motion.
I think it's sad they lost that ground.
Maybe they don't have the resources to innovate in every field they compete in.
Maybe they are right to focus on their core DSLR market.
I think they certainly have given up the ghost in the high end compact field and left it to Sony and Lumix.

Canon users will probably still buy the G17 as menu familiarity helps but it won't be a stunning leap forward ahead of Sony and Lumix.

Upvote 0
I have an EOS M and it does not replace a good camera you can fit in a pocket. I had a G9 and G10 and was very happy with them.
I am looking forward to a G17 with a 1 in sensor. The G7x does not have the ergonomics I want and G3x is too bulky.
So G16 form is ideal for a second camera (I have a 6D).
And, Canon please please, keep a viewfinder, this is mandatory for action shot and restricted close vision.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.