Will the R6's 20 MP Sensor Boost Enlargement Software Sales?

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Decisions, decisions, decisions. Most of my prints are 13x19 or under, but I've been asked for 16x20. I print at home with a Canon Pro-1000 (and before that, an Epson 3880). I've been using the 5D Mk IV/EOS R since their shared sensor first came out, so I'm now very comfortable with 30 MP for my cropping and printing.

But the R6 with its 20 MP sensor is appealing in many ways, right now PRICE being a big factor for me. I imagine many are in the same boat, even if they aren't as price sensitive at the moment.

So are the companies that make enlargement software going to see a significant boost in sales? Will enough R6 customers feel like they need to enhance output for prints 16x20 and larger?

In any event, which are the best enlargement software options now for those of us "settling" for a mere 20 MP when planning to occasionally make prints larger than 16x20?

Reactions: 1 user

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Decisions, decisions, decisions. Most of my prints are 13x19 or under, but I've been asked for 16x20. I print at home with a Canon Pro-1000 (and before that, an Epson 3880). I've been using the 5D Mk IV/EOS R since their shared sensor first came out, so I'm now very comfortable with 30 MP for my cropping and printing.

But the R6 with its 20 MP sensor is appealing in many ways, right now PRICE being a big factor for me. I imagine many are in the same boat, even if they aren't as price sensitive at the moment.

So are the companies that make enlargement software going to see a significant boost in sales? Will enough R6 customers feel like they need to enhance output for prints 16x20 and larger?

In any event, which are the best enlargement software options now for those of us "settling" for a mere 20 MP when planning to occasionally make prints larger than 16x20?
just on unrelated note: from a resale value perspective, R6 will be a complete flop in about a year from now... you would have a hard time convincing your average secondary market camera buyer that 20MP sensor resolution is all they need in 2021. Thought that I will share my thoughts with you.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
For now, the new cameras don't offer pixel shift techniques to go beyond the sensor resolution. But you can similar results using manual techniques, often referred to as super resolution or the more scientific version, drizzle. All of this only works on (relatively) static subjects, of course, as it requires taking and combining multiple exposures. But when it works, it should work better than some smart upscaling algorithm that can only guess the missing information, rather than derive it from the multiple images.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The best software in my opinion was/is Genuine Fractals. On1 bought it a few years ago and it's now called On1 Resize. You can buy it individually or it is included in their full suite. I've found it to do an amazing job of resizing images and bought the On1 Raw suite primarily to have it.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
As a generalist who is rarely focal length limited I have to say even for commercial work I have never had a question raised about the 20mp output I produce, not once.

There are special use cases, people who are often focal length limited (AlanF and co), people who genuinely regularly print oversized (sporgon and co) etc who need pixel density higher than a ff 20mp, but for most people it is a peer pressured 'need' rather than an output specified requirement.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
From my peculiar point of view, not having a slot that needs a CFexpress is another advantage.

I would probably have opted for the R6 had the sensor resolution been 30-35 MP, and yes, I realize that's probably not a rational "need", PBD, but I just couldn't get into a sensor with less resolution than my Rebel.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
For Canon people who want mirrorless, R5 can consolidate 5DIV and 5DsR.

In addition to video and resolution advantage you will get a better contruction body, a higher resolution EVF (although the R6's EVF must be very good already) a dual gain sensor (Canon's first in a stills camera) and the capability to charge better than R6 via battery pack while shooting.

Upvote 0