Windows 10 Photo Viewer has started mangling the exposure on CR2 files

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
I use Photo Viewer as a quickie slideshow of a new batch of pictures but lately it has taken to showing the image as-shot for about half a second then it mangles the exposure badly and orients vertical shots to horizontal. Anyone else having this nonsense happen?? It is only with CR2 files, not with JPG. It doesn't even seem to know it is doing this, since it doesn't offer to save changes or anything like that. The file explorer's thumbnails don't exhibit this and Windows Store insists the codec pack is installed and up to date. So I guess just the most recent patch of Photo Viewer is jacked up??

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
I checked my windows 10 PC for windows Photo Viewer but its not there. So I did a search and found that some who went thru multiple upgrades might still have it. The photos app is what we should be using for windows 10.

Can you clarify exactly which program is the problem?
I'm thinking he's talking about Windows 10 "Photos". I seen the issue pop up after a Windows Update path several weeks ago. Originally it was so bad it would mess with the colors/tints. I checked it again last night and now it seems to just mess with the exposure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2012
I'm seeing an, at least similar, issue with 50D raw files but not with 5D IV raw files using Photos on Win10.
I don't use Photos so not sure when this started happening.

Not sure what the diff is in the 2 raw files or how a codec/application should tell they are different and know how to process them.
Windows couldn't display 5D IV raw files until I got a codec along with Fast Picture Viewer I think it was, it might have been FastRaw Viewer. That may be why 5D IV images work and 50D images aren't.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
I checked my windows 10 PC for windows Photo Viewer but its not there. So I did a search and found that some who went thru multiple upgrades might still have it. The photos app is what we should be using for windows 10.

Can you clarify exactly which program is the problem?

View attachment 198884
Hi Mt Spokane.
If this is in respect of the old photo and fax (I think that is the correct name) viewer this info is not strictly correct, I have a clean install of windows 10 and with a quick regedit it is possible to turn the windows 7 photo viewer back on.
When I say clean, the only knowledge win 10 has about win 7 is that I have to put the licence code in for my free upgrade version, win 10 installed on a formatted disc.
Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0