WIth the Z50 is the EOS-M line in trouble?

A little self-serving but I don't think CR would mind that much .. we watched the release of the Z50 last night and watched the reviews of it today, while it was positive, it wasn't overwhelming.

The question is.. is the EF-M or EOS-M line doomed now that Nikon released the Z50 and Canon has no APS-C on the RF mount?

We take a look at it here:

Apr 25, 2011
Betteridge's law of headlines
This story is a great demonstration of my maxim that any headline which ends in a question mark can be answered by the word "no." The reason why journalists use that style of headline is that they know the story is probably bullshit, and don’t actually have the sources and facts to back it up, but still want to run it.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The answer is No! And I don't have to go to your site for information to answer it.
True. Just to save you the click, lots of internet space to say it’s up to the market. Also the author needs to learn how to size pictures properly for a mobile site.

Upvote 0
Only if Canon wants it to be. IMHO it's all about the lenses. Most EOS-M buyers probably only ever want two or three lenses - wide/short tele zoom, mid-range tele, and perhaps a fast prime (if they understand DOF). Many will opt for just one wide range zoom. They don't typically want big/heavy lenses sized for FF sensors nor do they want each lens to cost more than the body. CIPA statistics always show that there are only 1.6 or 1.7 lenses manufactured for each body produced.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
EOS-M is selling well for a few years. Canon is leading in terms of market share. Nikon Z50 just came out, and has no crop lenses (unless adapted).

Why the f**k would the EOS-M line be doomed? Are the EOS-M so fickle & rich they will all switch brands at the drop of a hat, just because... ehhh... ahhh.. why, exactly?

Playing devils advocate here: because Nikon now has crop and FF models with the exact same mount. On RF and M you can only share EF lenses which requires adapters for both.

Personally, I only use two non-EFM lenses on my M, the MP-E65mm and EF-S 60mm. The bulk of the pictures on my M are taken with the EF-M 32mm.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Playing devils advocate here: because Nikon now has crop and FF models with the exact same mount. On RF and M you can only share EF lenses which requires adapters for both.

This is a plus, I don't see it as large enough to doom the EOS-M line, as...

1. EOS-M is already entrenched, all the more so by the time crop Z lenses actually come out.

2. EOS-M sells for size, so I don't see owners switching brands en masse so they could one day upgrade to FF.

3. My bet is if Nikon Z crops sells well, and probably even if it doesn't, Canon will come bring release RF crop cameras.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

This is an attractive value proposition for the "advanced amateur" market segment. But it is a non-issue to a majority of M users who just want something compact and are not concerned about "upgrading" to bulky and expensive FF hardware.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I have the M-series cameras for their size and ability to adapt my EF glass. In time, if I end up upgrading lenses to the RF mount, then I will probably have to reconsider the idea myself.

Honestly, the only advantage I see with the Z50 is that it shares its mount with the full-frame line. This is great for users that want to buy lenses and upgrade over time. The camera itself and the lens roadmap is not special. Canon at least has the advantage of being a totally compact system with great features. That appeals to a lot of people out there, but not necessarily the users that see it as a professional stepping stone.

**This is a pretty far-fetched idea, but there are adapters that make FD lenses work on Canon DSLRs using a lens inside to correct for the backfocus discrepancy. Maybe...JUST MAYBE there could be something similar done with high-quality glass. The only way this would work is if Canon were the ones doing it and not a third party.**

Upvote 0