World's most expensive lens

Hillsilly

EOS R
Oct 16, 2010
Hubble would have to be near the top of the list, too. At $2.5b to construct, then all of the maintenane and the big upgrade a couple of years ago, I think it has cost almost $7b. But it does get some spectacular shots.

Hillsilly

EOS R
Oct 16, 2010
bdunbar79 said:
If I had that lens I could stay between the football stadium and soccer field and shoot both games from the same location :) :)

The Canon 1200mm and 1.4x extender might be a better choice for sports - It has autofocus. :)

aj1575

EOS RP
Dec 15, 2010
Hillsilly said:
Hubble would have to be near the top of the list, too. At $2.5b to construct, then all of the maintenane and the big upgrade a couple of years ago, I think it has cost almost $7b. But it does get some spectacular shots.

The lens itself is much cheaper; the expensive part of the Hubble was its delivery (no free shipping here), and some repair work under warranty....

Vossie

EOS RP
May 13, 2012
Netherlands
www.flickr.com
Danielle said:
Personally I don't understand how a Leica APO-Telyt-R 1:5.6/1600mm would be worth 2.79 million dollars. Thats really in WTF territory for me. Unless all the glass is sapphire crystal or something ridiculous.

The thing that makes it so expensive is that this is a one-off custom built lens (as you could read in the linked article). All the development costs will be included in that price.

emag

EOS RP
Feb 22, 2012
$2.06 million, Mercedes camera 'case'........and all he did was take pictures of his cat ;D