Would you purchase another R5

Rick H

I'm New Here
May 24, 2019
This is question that ask when I see someone using a product that I am thinking about purchasing. Question for people that own the R5, would you purchase another R5 and why or why not.

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
I think the context is more like, if you had an R5 and accidentally dropped off a cliff into the ocean, would you replace it with another R5 or get something else?

Example: my EOS M died and the cost to repair it was the same as buying a new one, and just $20 less than the then-current M2. So I bought an M2.

Mt Spokane Photography

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2011
Newer and better cameras are always coming out. I'd buy it again given what is currently available. That could change if something I liked more for the same price came out.

Reactions: 1 user

takesome1

EOS 5D Mark IV
Aug 23, 2013
None your business Alaska
I think the context is more like, if you had an R5 and accidentally dropped off a cliff into the ocean, would you replace it with another R5 or get something else?

Example: my EOS M died and the cost to repair it was the same as buying a new one, and just $20 less than the then-current M2. So I bought an M2.
Knowing what the body cost and the investment most will have in L glass, again the R5 is the only choice for a high mp mirrorless if you want to stick with Canon.

This situation did happen to me as well, I ended up with two 5D II's because the mirror broke on my original during a shoot. Warranty repaired the first but I couldn't wait.

Edit: I guess with near 30K in Canon glass, another R5 would be purchased.

Rick H

I'm New Here
May 24, 2019
It's a simple question, would you buy another one of any product. in case aR5. If the answer is yes, they must be happy with the product, doesn't mean they're going out and buy a second one. It just means they're happy with their purchase decision and they would purchase the same item over again, it's just a good indicator that the product functions as intended.

neuroanatomist

CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
It's a simple question, would you buy another one of any product. in case aR5. If the answer is yes, they must be happy with the product, doesn't mean they're going out and buy a second one. It just means they're happy with their purchase decision and they would purchase the same item over again, it's just a good indicator that the product functions as intended.
With respect, “Would you buy another R5?,” isn’t the sane question as, “Would you buy the R5 again?” The first, asked of current R5 owners, does imply buying a second camera.

danfaz

RFIVE
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
I would buy a second one, yes. I'm extremely happy with mine, for photos and the occasional 4K 120 video. I'd like to have another, particularly for events so I don't have to change any lenses.

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
If I had an R5 (I have an R) and lost it, I wouldn't hesitate and get an R3. Bigger body, ergonomics and eye-controlled AF would be the main reasons.

takesome1

EOS 5D Mark IV
Aug 23, 2013
Really it is not a simple question. A camera at this level is usually much cheaper than the investment in lenses. One thing I have learned about Canon over the years is that the niche a camera body fills, it usually performs very well in that niche. Seldom are there two cameras in the same niche. There are bodies with less functions, higher mp bodies that are slower, lower mp bodies that are faster and a high end series that is fast and durable. If you have bought in to the Canon R system and you are not happy with the R5 most likely it is because of a particular niche or function it doesn't full fill.

It is really of no consequence if someone would buy another or not because if they wanted the highest mp R body it is yours and their only choice.

But just to full fill your good indicator, the R5 does function as intended. I would buy it to replace it if it were lost or stolen. For what I do I would recommend it to a friend if he wants to go the Canon way.

shire_guy

EOS M50
Apr 29, 2020
Sydney AUST
I see this as a more complex question than just about the R5 body. I bought my R5 18 months ago, not only based on the camera spec, but how it would perform with the lenses I had (Canon EF). Looking back it was the correct decision for what I mainly shoot, which are birds.

If I was to buy now I would want to wait to see what comes of the R7 as it might improve pixels on target. Again I am looking at the both camera and lenses (current EF and RF). Now if Canon were to release a light weight 600mm L lens with a reasonable aperture the R5 would be hard to beat.

Czardoom

EOS RP
Jan 27, 2020
I don't have an R5, but if I had unlimited funds and could purchase any camera, I would pick the R5. I don't think any other camera comes close if you are looking for a do-it-all, general purpose camera.

Birdshooter

I'm New Here
Oct 14, 2019
After purchasing an R3, I would not purchase another R5 and actually have put my R5 up for sale.
Too many missed images that I surely would have got with my pro dslr bodies. The R5 is good, but the R3 autofocus is much better.
More accurate autofocus, no hunting when looking for birds in the canopy. And after shooting foxes with both cameras the R3 is a clear winner with more keepers and more of the difficult shots like the kits jumping in bad light.

Reactions: 1 users

koenkooi

EOS 5D Mark IV
CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
In the above situation I would be seriously tempted to replace my R5 with an R3 + used RP. I suspect that the improved AF would do more for me than the increased resolution in the R5. The used RP would be for situations where I want to shoot something macro-ish low to the ground, the grip on the R3 would get in the way of that.

But the most likely thing to happen is that I'd get another R5, it's a great camera for what I do!

takesome1

EOS 5D Mark IV
Aug 23, 2013
After purchasing an R3, I would not purchase another R5 and actually have put my R5 up for sale.
Too many missed images that I surely would have got with my pro dslr bodies. The R5 is good, but the R3 autofocus is much better.
More accurate autofocus, no hunting when looking for birds in the canopy. And after shooting foxes with both cameras the R3 is a clear winner with more keepers and more of the difficult shots like the kits jumping in bad light.
Good comments. This is the kind of comparison you do not get by reading specs. I had been looking for someone that had hands on both the R5 and R3.

Quirkz

EOS RP
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
I would buy it again. For me, an amateur who does mostly travel photography, the autofocus is significantly better *for me* than any canon DSLR I had (various 5D models, 6D). The R3, while it looks amazing, is just too big for my preferences. I find it really easy to use, just point and click.

I still have an RP though with the 1.8 35MM that lives on it, as the quality vs size for the RP is just great.

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
I would 100% buy the R5 again. I'm interpreting your post as in do current owners have any regrets, and the answer is no for me. Now if I could afford an R3 I'd rather have that, but the price is just too much for me personally.

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
If my R5 broke today, I would most likely replace it. I couldn't justify getting an R3 (at the time it came out)... and I would be hard-pressed to get it now w/ the 1 series looming around the corner.

docsmith

EOS R
CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Yes. Absolutely. No regrets on picking up an R5 in 2020. Amazing camera.

Not flawless, but FPS, ergonomics, IQ, focus peaking, IBIS (even on Sigma lenses), eye detect AF, high ISO performance, etc. All very useful. Cons exist, but most significantly, if you would not use the new features, the R5 may not impress you. One of those simple things, but I see people making that mistake. Say, comparing the R5 against a 5DsR on a tripod for a well exposed static subject. People have seen more detail out of the 5DsR in otherwise similar images.