Yellow Jackets on Sunflower

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
I bought a used P&S camera today, so one of the things I tried out was a closeup just as the sun was setting. I wanted to see how the camera acted with a hand held close focus situation. I found it quite difficult to get reasonably sharp images, but finally did get a couple.

This one is cropped to about 80% of the original size.

Nikon%20S9700Test-1-XL.jpg

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
Its a Nikon S9700. I wanted to get my wife a low cost camera to take to the beach next weekend, and this popped up on Craigslist for $110. That was a steal, so I went out and bought it.

I'm not very enthused so far, it is not easy to get sharp images, I've taken 20 or more, all but 3 or 4 went to the bit bucket. The Fancy Hybrid IS is nowhere as good as my Canon cameras, it locks on quickly, but just a little camera movement throws it off. I tried boosting the shutter speed, the flash then pops up all the time, even in bright sun. I'm thinking that my wife would have a tough time. She did not want to take the new G1X II horseback riding on the beach, and, on paper, this seemed like a good choice, since it was cheap.

The Wi-Fi only works with cameras and tablets. The GPS works but drains the battery quickly. The battery must be charged in-camera via USB. I'd prefer a external charger, and a couple of spare batteries.

She may end up taking my old Canon G3 IS. It would be no loss if trashed, I paid $15 or 20 for it. It uses AA cells too, so its easy to replace run down batteries when camping.

We will give it some more time tomorrow, and I'll go thru the settings for the 5th time to see if I have something wrong.

Upvote 0