Your best images of 2015?

PhotographyFirst said:
dpc said:
Last kick of the cat on this forum.
I like playing the guessing game of wilderness locations in photos.

Is that first one taken on Vancouver Island? I think I know this exact spot. :)

Yes, it was taken on Vancouver Island. It's not too far from Sooke. The last two are from south-western Saskatchewan. :)

Upvote 0

kaswindell

Trying to be as good as my gear
Apr 13, 2013
Temple, NH
Visit site
jwilbern said:
I really like the third one. It looks like a wedding dress!

kaswindell said:
2015 was the year that I finally was able to upgrade to a 5Dmk3. :)

Here are a few of my favorites. I think some of these appear elsewhere, so my apologies for duplication.

Thanks! I hadn't picked up on that, but you are right, it does have a resemblance.

Upvote 0
Pookie said:
Ladislav said:
Some of these images are absolutely awesome. I would like to know the workflow/post processing technique you use to get the result or technique you used to get the photo (@Pookie, @cervantes, @chauncey, @jwilbern - the wemp barn)

Thanks... Not really much done beyond the crop. Bump saturation slightly but the color happened when the sun had just dropped below the horizon. A little noise cleanup and sharpening. It just went from heavy fog to pink cotton candy for about 2-3 minutes and then went dark. I had actually packed up most of my gear and was heading to the car when this happened. Mad dash back to my spot and hurried setup. I only got about 12 frames with 2-3 that looked like this... truly ephemeral.

Thanks for sharing. It is a very unique shot. I love it.

Upvote 0
jwilbern said:
Ladislav said:
Some of these images are absolutely awesome. I would like to know the workflow/post processing technique you use to get the result or technique you used to get the photo (@Pookie, @cervantes, @chauncey, @jwilbern - the wemp barn)
Thank you, Ladislav. The Wemp Barn is an HDR photo. The sun was just barely blocked by the roof, and the sky was very bright. I used one of the "Smooth" presets in Photomatix to balance the exposure.

Beautiful HDR. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0
dpc said:
PhotographyFirst said:
dpc said:
Last kick of the cat on this forum.
I like playing the guessing game of wilderness locations in photos.

Is that first one taken on Vancouver Island? I think I know this exact spot. :)

Yes, it was taken on Vancouver Island. It's not too far from Sooke. The last two are from south-western Saskatchewan. :)

Cool. Thanks for sharing those images. :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Crapking

"Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
Nov 9, 2011
jjlabella.photoshelter.com
PLUM0202 by NAVBPhotos, on Flickr

7MII0899 by NAVBPhotos, on Flickr

Haven't contributed much lately, but ran across this thread and reminisced about all the joy photography brings me - catching moments like this for high schoolers and their families doesn't yield great profits but does provide for everlasting memories

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Pookie said:
I wouldn't say this my best or even a favorite but this image has made over $10k in prints since I took it in August of last year and still brings in sales. I'm not even into landscapes that much but occasionally I dabble. Bought me a Pentax 645Z with the proceeds...

Santa Cruz Boardwalk - Santa Cruz, Ca.
5D3 + 16-35 f/4

Interesting composition Pookie, I was once told that putting the horizon in the center of the frame was a compositional no no and a rookie mistake. If your sales are to be believed it seems there are more than a few people who disagree with the regularly regurgitated 'rule of thirds' bullshit so often espoused by people who think they know.

Good to see you let your eye over rule your knowledge. ;)

Upvote 0

IMG_0001

Amateur photon abductor
Nov 12, 2013
It is true that it's often said that centered horizon is poor composition, but given the way the cloud shape answers the banks and the balance of light between the lowwr and upper parts of the image, I think this happens to be one good example of 'unless there are good reasons to do so'.

privatebydesign said:
Pookie said:
I wouldn't say this my best or even a favorite but this image has made over $10k in prints since I took it in August of last year and still brings in sales. I'm not even into landscapes that much but occasionally I dabble. Bought me a Pentax 645Z with the proceeds...

5D3 + 16-35 f/4

Interesting composition Pookie, I was once told that putting the horizon in the center of the frame was a compositional no no and a rookie mistake. If your sales are to be believed it seems there are more than a few people who disagree with the regularly regurgitated 'rule of thirds' bullS___ so often espoused by people who think they know.

Upvote 0
P

Pookie

privatebydesign said:
Pookie said:

5D3 + 16-35 f/4

Interesting composition Pookie, I was once told that putting the horizon in the center of the frame was a compositional no no and a rookie mistake. If your sales are to be believed it seems there are more than a few people who disagree with the regularly regurgitated 'rule of thirds' bullS___ so often espoused by people who think they know.

Caw, caw... Polly wants a cracker... Originality is definitely not your strong suit Polly by Design ;D

Upvote 0
Some selection from my library - I did quite few trips to explore beauty of England.

Attachments

• 150919_Photo_543.jpg
    150919_Photo_543.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 240
  • 151025_Photo_013.jpg
    151025_Photo_013.jpg
    682.6 KB · Views: 249
  • 151031_Photo_705.jpg
    151031_Photo_705.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 256
  • 150926_Photo_019.jpg
    150926_Photo_019.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 258
  • 150926_Photo_220.jpg
    150926_Photo_220.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 255
  • 150925_Photo_739.jpg
    150925_Photo_739.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 233
  • 150704_Photo_249-HDR-Edit.jpg
    150704_Photo_249-HDR-Edit.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 241
  • 150221_Photo_121.jpg
    150221_Photo_121.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 249
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
It's really hard to look back over the year and say which is your best image ! Anyway here is the one of the ones that I personally like the most - a shot of the mussel fishermen working on the Norfolk coast. There had been some bad press recently about the amount these guys are taking out, and I nearly got lynched when doing these shots !

I guess one of the reasons that I like this one is that is really is un-manipulated. Due to an almighty cock up I had this particular camera set on small jpeg only. Fortunately most of the jpeg settings were ideal for the scene, the compression was not, and it's a four frame stitched pano, so I got away with it.

Attachments

• Mussel Fisherman.png
    Mussel Fisherman.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 255
Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
It's really hard to look back over the year and say which is your best image ! Anyway here is the one of the ones that I personally like the most - a shot of the mussel fishermen working on the Norfolk coast. There had been some bad press recently about the amount these guys are taking out, and I nearly got lynched when doing these shots !

I guess one of the reasons that I like this one is that is really is un-manipulated. Due to an almighty cock up I had this particular camera set on small jpeg only. Fortunately most of the jpeg settings were ideal for the scene, the compression was not, and it's a four frame stitched pano, so I got away with it.

Very nice! I love the colour. :)

Upvote 0

greger

7D
Jan 1, 2013
I didn't take anything as good as what others have uploaded. Nice work everyone. I enjoy going out and taking pics locally. The pair of Eagles that live all year at the dike beside the Pitt River are tired of me taking they're pics. They are used to seeing people walk or bicycle past them every day. Some people do not see them perched high up in the tree close to one of their nests. I think there's three between Nicola and Dominion Avenue. I get lots of practice with BIF pics trying to get that great pic so I can print a pic and mount it on my wall. I have a pic of two Canada Geese landing on a pond that looks great framed and hanging on our entrance way wall.

Upvote 0