Zeiss Planar T* 1.4/50 ZE

Re: Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1.4/50 ZE

Leopard Lupus said:
How would you compare this lens to the Canon f/1.4 or 1.2 L (if you have used them) I have read mixed reviews about this lens.
Love the B&W shot!
Thank you Leopard Lupus.

Good question, I have never used Canon's 1.4, 1.2 or 1.0. I decided to go with Carl Zeiss for the following reasons

- I had the opportunity to buy the first batch to arrive in New York.
- It is a Carl Zeiss lens
- I wanted a different image quality than those of Canon and 3rd party lenses
- All metal construction and German engineering intrigued me
- I wanted to try a manual focus lens that has a native EF mount. I do not want to deal with adapters.
- I wanted a very unique 50

I may supplement this with a 50L if Canon were to sell one that is 1.0 or faster.

Untitled by alabang, on Flickr

Upvote 0
H

handsomerob

I'm also interested in Zeiss primes for about the same reasons (mostly for their superb build quality and stellar optics). The 50mm f/1.4 is pretty affordable compared to the rest of the Zeiss family so I'm considering it too. Something tells me that you are going to highly recommend it :p

Btw, don't wanna sound silly but, anything special about the "first batch" thingy?

Upvote 0

handsomerob said:
I'm also interested in Zeiss primes for about the same reasons (mostly for their superb build quality and stellar optics). The 50mm f/1.4 is pretty affordable compared to the rest of the Zeiss family so I'm considering it too. Something tells me that you are going to highly recommend it :p

Btw, don't wanna sound silly but, anything special about the "first batch" thingy?

If you can live with it not having a focus motor then it is a great lens. I also like the fact it does have an auto aperture. Some people look at me funny when I say this is 1.4 without a focus motor that sold for $600+.

I like buying gear within the first few months or year of release. I do not want to end up buying a version 1 and then less than a year later a version 2 is announced for shipping a few months after. This has happened to me before.

Muntinlupa Market by alabang, on Flickr

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Some studio samples with 50 1.4

The Last Piece Standing by Jogesh S, on Flickr
50D f/2.5, 1/125, ISO 100 with ND8
Lighting:
Flash from above with snoot.
A snooted strobe on the background wall and a softbox for fill(only modelling light).

Curves by Jogesh S, on Flickr
40D, 1/160 , f/2.5,ISO 100+ ND8
Two strobes, one with softbox from side and another with snoot from above

Abhishek by Jogesh S, on Flickr

40D, 1/160,f/9, ISO 100
Strobe with softbox from side.

Upvote 0