|This site contains affiliate links to products and services. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.|
Cinema5D had the opportunity on a recent trip to Japan to sit down with Sigma CEO Kazuto Yamaki and talk all things Sigma.
Here is a rundown from Cinema5D of questions asked in this interview:
- 00:17 – How was it to grow-up in a house with an enthusiastic father? (Mr. Michihiro Yamaki established the company in 1961 and passed away in 2012, at the age of 78).
- 01:29 – Can you please share with our audience your daily routine?
- 03:14 – How do you prioritise which mount and lenses to make?
- 04:01 – How easy was the decision to start making the Art line of high-quality lenses?
- 05:27 – In the past, Sigma lenses were considered affordable. Then you decided to hit the upper end of the market. What was the reason?
- 06:53 – In such a crowded market, Sigma is producing a high-quality stills camera that does not offer any video functionality. Why is that?
- 07:51 – Are you able to keep good sales is a declining market?
- 09:07 – Why did you decide to produce cine lenses?
- 09:57 – Where did people go? Why aren’t they buying lenses anymore?
- 10:26 – What would be your dream zoom lens?
One of the most intriguing parts of the interview is at about the 7:40 mark where he talks about the possibility of Sigma producing a mirrorless camera with video capabilities.